Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone here played gk in soccer before (please i need hel)

I played soccer recreationally as a little kid before picking up bball, and in middle school i played soccer in 8th grade as it was the "cool" thing for basketball players to play a spring sport after the basketball season is over(all the other basketball players chose volleyball but i just preferred soccer since I've been a fan of the sport my whole life).

So anyways in high school basketball and soccer are the same season so freshman year i only played basketball. Basically last week I got cut from basketball( ya i know lil spk acting all high n mighty giving everyone else advice and can't even make his ****ing high school team). In reality I could probably transfer to my local public school and probably make varsity or start on jv there, but that's not the point.

Point is I've been pretty depressed after getting cut and I've just lost motivation to do anything socially related, cause I feel like I'll just be that kid who doesn't do any sports, play any instruments, or have anything interesting about him. I'm scared I'll end up just going to school and going straight home and wasting my hours on reddit or something and falling out of shape.

So since i'm not particularly musically or theatrically inclined, I guess the best choice would be to play another sport. I already know for sure I can make the tennis or volleyball teams in the spring as JV for those two sports are trash, but the spring season of sports is several months away. Therefore, I want to play a winter sport, but the only two besides basketball are wrestling and soccer.

Our soccer program is not as good as our basketball's but it's still very competitive( i believe varsity was #19 in the country last yr) For a guy like me who hasn't kicked a ball around in over a year to expect to just walk in and make the JV team is still pretty ****ing ridiculous. However, one of my soccer friends says that the JV team only has one real gk and if I just throw on a pair of gloves I could probably make it.

Obviously it won't be as easy as that but I figure it's at least worth a shot, so i need someone with experience playing goalie in soccer.

Treat me as basically a complete noob the only things i have going for me I guess are:

- I have a tiny bit of soccer experience, but only as an outfield player
    - I've been a soccer fan my whole life(this probably doesn't mean jackshit I mean i know guys who know every little thing about the NBA and can't dribble to save their lives) but at least I'm familiar with soccer terms, formations, and basic positioning.
    - my height and wingspan are both slightly over 6'1

tl;dr I don't even own gk clothes or gloves and haven't touched a soccer ball in 2 years, and I have 4-5 days before I try out for soccer.

Default Re: Anyone here played gk in soccer before (please i need hel)

one advice and it's all you need. Always blame on the defenders

well i can't offer helpful or good advice, but good luck

Banned

You will be fine. That's what a coach is there for. They are there to teach you. Your basketball training will come in handy because you got good height. Plyo's from basketball training will help with explosiveness and reaction.

When in doubt, look at the defenders and give them a disgusted look. This will get the attention off of you and to them.

It's a sucker's position anyways, you are not going to stop every damn ball so giving up a goal here and there doesn't matter.

Good luck.

Banned

Here OP:

http://www.sportinglife360.com/index...alie-10-62125/

The best goalies in this world are Americans so keep calm and do your thing.

Here's a female goalie, Hope Solo, and believe it or not she's better than a lot of the sissy professional male GK's in Europe.
    Last edited by 9erempiree; 11-07-2013 at 04:15 AM.

It's not an easy position by any means. The easiest position in football is probably fullback. As a goalie you need to have good reflexes and coordination, good senses of timing and positioning and a certain degree of fearlessness (not minding having a ball kicked to the face or getting hit hard). From a tactical point of view, a goalie is expected to read the oponent's offense and make on-the-fly adjustments to his own defensive line. I can't tell you any more specifics because I played RW all my life, so good luck

be careful:

Not airballing my layups anymore

The thing is, everyone is always blaming the goalies.

try it only if you are fearless and have good reflexes... otherwise, dont embarrass yourself.
    if you dont have anything else to do, why not just start going to the gym

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shade8780
    GTFOH. That's bs, unless you're talking about women's soccer which no one gives a shit about.
    I'm not even going to argue with you. It's like trying to argue that the sky is blue here. It's pretty much common knowledge around the world.

Americans play sports with their hands and let's face it, we have the superior athletes here. It fits the bill of a good goalie. Athletic, good hands, reflex and reaction.

BTW...Hope Solo is better than most men.

Go find pickup games and play. Everyone thinks they are Messi reborn, NO ONE wants to be the goalie.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    I'm not even going to argue with you. It's like trying to argue that the sky is blue here. It's pretty much common knowledge around the world.

Americans play sports with their hands and let's face it, we have the superior athletes here. It fits the bill of a good goalie. Athletic, good hands, reflex and reaction.

BTW...Hope Solo is better than most men.

Literally all of the best goalies (and everything else) comes from Europe.

Are you a good rebounder?

Goalie seems like it's a position of anticipation and reflexes.

Local High School Star Andrew Wiggins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B-Easy8

ignorance at its finest

south america produces some of the best players of all time including the current best in the game

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by B-Easy8

America and Germany are the countries that produce the best goalkeepers.