Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default ISH Hall of Fame Project: Class of 1965 Voting

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Inside Hoops Hall of Fame Project[/FONT]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is for the voting on the class of 1965.

You may make your own list or Copy and Paste the Ballot Below and bold the names of the players you want to vote into our Hall of Fame.

You can vote for up to ten players, but don't need to vote for any.

Feel free to include any arguments you want to make on behalf of any of the players or against any of the players.

Also this is the time to nominate any players I have not listed that were retired before 1965.

Anyone who is not yet involved in the project may participate in this round as well, please check in at the main thread and I'll add you too our roster.

Players eligible for the first time

Paul Arizin - Pitchin' Paul brought the modern jump shot into the game, great scorer led the Warriors to '56 title.

Bob Cousy - 1957 MVP and six time NBA Champion was the first superstar guard in the NBA.

Larry Foust - Bruising blue-collar center led Pistons to back-to-back finals in 1955 & 1956.

Clyde Lovellette - Member of three NBA Champions and one of the first 20-10 centers in the NBA.

Slater Martin - Top guard for the Lakers during the Mikan years and the Hawks during the Pettit years. Great defender and feeder.

Dick McGuire - Widely respected point guard for 1950's Knicks could do it all and never looked for his own shot.

Bob Pettit - Two-Time MVP scored 50 points in decisive game six in 1958 Finals.

Frank Ramsey - One of the first great sixth men, Ramsey led the Celtics in scoring during their 1959 title run.

Dolph Schayes - NBA's original Iron Man, 12-time All-NBA selection and the best player on the 1955 Champs.

Bill Sharman - Dead eye marksman, diligent defender and ahead of his time in terms of health and conditioning.

Gene Shue - All-NBA guard for the Pistons would later become revered coach.

George Yardley - "YardBird" was a high scoring wing player and all-NBA selection in 1957 & 1958 who played the game with style.

Players still eligible after receiving multiple votes in the previous class

Charles "Tarzan" Cooper
    Bob Davies
    LeRoy "Cowboy" Edwards
    Harry Gallatin
    Pops Gates
    Marcus Haynes
    Nat Holman
    Neil Johnston
    Cumberland Posey
    Arnie Risen
    Goose Tatum

Committee Members

G.O.A.T - 30's - Pistons/General
    L. Kizzle - 20's - Rockets
    Arbitrary Water -
    SexSymbol - 20's - Lakers/Bobcats
    Smook A. -
    Gotterdammerung - 30's - Rockets/General
    GODbe - Teens - Lakers
    MP.Trey - 20's - Cavs
    gts -
    magnax1 - 20's - Jazz
    nightprowler10 - 30's - Bulls
    longhornfan1234 - 20's - Spurs
    bballnoob1192 - 20's - Lakers
    hangintheair - 20's - Hornets
    JohnFreeman - 20's - Kings
    riseagainst -
    WillC -
    kshutts1 - 30's - Bulls/Lakers
    dankok8 - Raptors

Bold = Has Voted
    Italics = Active

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Voting Results so far

11 ballots cast

(11) Bob Pettit
    (11) Bob Cousy
    (10) Dolph Schayes
    (9) Paul Arizin
    (7) Bill Sharman
    -----------------------
    (4) Goose Tatum
    (4) Bob Davies
    (4) Neil Johnston
    (2) George Yardley
    (2) Tarzan Cooper
    (2) Leroy Edwards
    (2) Clyde Lovellette
    Nat Holman
    Marques Haynes
    Pops Gates
    Cumberland Posey
    Dick McGuire
    Frank Ramsey
    Slater Martin
    Last edited by G.O.A.T; 08-19-2014 at 04:57 PM.

College superstar

Default Re: ISH Hall of Fame Project: Class of 1965 Voting

Paul Arizin - Pitchin' Paul brought the modern jump shot into the game, great scorer led the Warriors to '56 title.

Bob Cousy - 1957 MVP and six time NBA Champion was the first superstar guard in the NBA.

Dolph Schayes - NBA's original Iron Man, 12-time All-NBA selection and the best player on the 1955 Champs.

Bill Sharman - Dead eye marksman, diligent defender and ahead of his time in terms of health and conditioning.

Neil Johnston

Bob Davies
    Last edited by kshutts1; 08-17-2014 at 05:28 PM.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Cousy
    Pettit

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFreeman
    Cousy
    Pettit
    So you don't think Dolph Schayes is worthy of the Hall of Fame?

My nominations:

Bob Cousy - People forget that he was recognised as the best player in the world for a few years post-Mikan pre-Russell.

Bob Pettit - Imagine if Russell was wanted in St. Louis? I think a frontcourt of Pettit and Russell would have been the best of all-time. Pettit is criminally underrated by fans today. He revolutionised the way big men played the game, taking his game away from the basket, but still a dominant rebounder.

Paul Arizin - I don't think he was any more significant than Joe Fulks, but that's not a criticism of Arizin as much as praise for Fulks. A prolific scorer, not at the expense of team success.

Dolph Schayes - Another prolific scorer and shooter, he's another player who people tend not to talk about but he was an elite player for years.

Bill Sharman - Perhaps the greatest shooter of his era (and one of the best of all-time) while also being a tremendous defender. Other than Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and Jerry West, it's hard to think of a better two-way shooting guard in NBA history.

George Yardley - Not only a great player but by all accounts a tremendous person too. Held the NBA's all-time scoring record for a while.

Bob Davies - Revolutionised the game with his flashy play.

Nat Holman - Influential all-rounder and arguably the Original Celtics' best player.

Goose Tatum - Most heralded player in Globetrotters history.

...and then I have a tough decision as there are a few players I like with my 10th pick, but I'll go for...

Leroy 'Cowboy' Edwards - Along with Mikan and Bobby McDermott, he was the star of the NBL.

Paul Arizin
    Bob Cousy
    Bob Pettit
    Dolph Schayes
    Bill Sharman
    George Yardley

Bob Davies
    Neil Johnston
    Clyde Lovellette
    Goose Tatum

Bold are locks. Bound to edit this.

My votes ... also, link the previous thread(s) so we can go back and look. ISH Hall of Fame Project: Class of 1960 Voting
    Also, no way Larry Foust should be voted over Georg Yardley.

Larry Foust - Bruising blue-collar center led Pistons to back-to-back finals in 1955 & 1956.

Clyde Lovellette - Member of three NBA Champions and one of the first 20-10 centers in the NBA.

Slater Martin - Top guard for the Lakers during the Mikan years and the Hawks during the Pettit years. Great defender and feeder.

Dick McGuire - Widely respected point guard for 1950's Knicks could do it all and never looked for his own shot.

Frank Ramsey - One of the first great sixth men, Ramsey led the Celtics in scoring during their 1959 title run.

Gene Shue - All-NBA guard for the Pistons would later become revered coach.

George Yardley - "YardBird" was a high scoring wing player and all-NBA selection in 1957 & 1958 who played the game with style.

Players still eligible after receiving multiple votes in the previous class

Charles "Tarzan" Cooper
    Bob Davies
    LeRoy "Cowboy" Edwards
    Harry Gallatin
    Pops Gates
    Marcus Haynes
    Nat Holman
    Neil Johnston
    Cumberland Posey
    Arnie Risen
    Goose Tatum

BOB COUSY -

Came out of retirement in 1969 for the Cincinnati Royals and played 6 games.

Clyde Lovellette is an interesting man, his drop-off after going to BOS is the biggest I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by SexSymbol
    Clyde Lovellette is an interesting man, his drop-off after going to BOS is the biggest I've ever seen.
    He went from starting center to back up for Russell, what did you expect? Him to still minutes from a peak Bill Russell?

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    He went from starting center to back up for Russell, what did you expect? Him to still minutes from a peak Bill Russell?
    To play alongside Russell on the court more, he wasn't as high as a tower after all

Quote Originally Posted by SexSymbol
    To play alongside Russell on the court more, he wasn't as high as a tower after all
    They had the much younger Tom Heinsohn and Satch Sanders in those spots.

Just checked, Russell played 45 minutes a game in 1963 and 1964. Basically almost 15 minutes more than the next closest on the team, Sam Jones 31 minutes in 63 and Hondo 32 in 64.

shhhhhhh

Goose Tatum

Bob Cousy

Bob Pettit

Dolph Schayes

Bill Sharman

Also, no way Larry Foust should be voted over Georg Yardley.
    Indeed.

Also, it's Marques Haynes, not Marcus. Lot's of people spelling it wrong. Sorry to be pedantic.

Default Goat Vote

BOB COUSY -

Came out of retirement in 1969 for the Cincinnati Royals and played 6 games.
    Decided to ignore that since he was coaching the team at it was such a short stint.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    Indeed.

Also, it's Marques Haynes, not Marcus. Lot's of people spelling it wrong. Sorry to be pedantic.
    That's my fault. I made the mistake in the initial post and most have just copy and pasted it.

As to this round of voting, I think now is a critical time for each of us to establish a standard for admittance. Thus far Mikan was our only unanimous selection and the defining characteristic for Mikan is combined individual and team excellence. The same is true with the other two top inductees from that class; McDermott and Fulks both won the highest individual honors and led teams to titles.

I didn't agree with the selections of Maccauley and Stokes because I don't feel like they reached the same standard as Mikan, McDermott and Fulks. Until we establish a collective precedent, I will push for my own standard: Combined individual and team greatness.

With that in mind, my votes for this round...

Bob Pettit - Won the MVP in 1956 and 1959, went to the Finals in '57, '60 and '61 and won it all in '58. His resume speaks for itself.

Bob Cousy - Won the MVP and his first title in 1957. Even if you don't think he deserved it in '57, he was in the conversation and had been for 3-5 years. Passes the teammate test, another pretty much lock.

Dolph Schayes - I don't know if Dolph was ever the best player in the game, but from 1952 to 1958, I'm not sure there were more than one or two better most seasons. Top five in each of the first three MVP votes. Second to Russell in '58. Won title as the Syracuse Nationals best player, leading scorer and rebounder in 1955. A lock to me, but I suspect a few will leave him out for now.

Paul Arizin - Two-time scoring Champion. Second in MVP voting in '56, third in '57. He was the best player during the 1956 playoffs as the Warriors took the title. Spent more than half his career in the top ten in FG% and FT%. Three time all-NBA first team despite losing two prime/peak years to war service and an all-star every year of his career. Another lock for me.

Bob Davies - My case for Davies is as follows, from 1947-1954 George Mikan dominated the NBA. In that span the only player who won an MVP in a league with him, besides him was Bob Davies and the only team to beat his team in a series were the 1951 Rochester Royals led by Bob Davies. Those Royals won the 1951 NBA Championship and Davies made one of his four consecutive all-league first team selections. The best guard of his day.

LeRoy Edwards - From 1938 to 1942 Edwards won three NBL MVP's, made five all-league first team selections, won three scoring titles, played in five Championship series and won two. Additionally, his team, the Oshkosh All-Stars they finished twice runner up and in 1942 the World Professional Basketball Tournament, matching the all-white All-Stars with all-black teams like the Trotters, Rens, Chicago Bruins and Washington Bears. Like the players above, Edwards meets the individual and team greatness standard.

Charles Cooper - Cooper was the best center of the 1930's, maybe the best player. He was considered the best player on the best team, that much is certain. When the Rens won 88 straight, Cooper was at his peak. Key player for the '39 Rens World Professional Basketball Tournament Champions and also helped the Washington Bears (mostly former Rens paid handsomely to switch teams) win it again in 1943 at the age of '35. Following the theme, best player on the best team from his era.

I would like to hear why people are choosing Haynes or Tatum over Cooper...?
    Last edited by G.O.A.T; 08-16-2014 at 01:31 AM.