Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: John Wall, the next Derrick Rose?

wall is just so out of control all the time, you never see that from rose, although to an extent i feel eventually wall may become a more dangerous player than rose. at the moment wall seems closer to wade in style. wall seems to have a pretty good second jump to tip in his own layups- wade is the best ive ever seen at this tho.
    Last edited by ukplayer4; 07-15-2010 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ukplayer4
    wall is just so out of control all the time, you never see that from rose, although to an extent i feel eventually wall may become a more dangerous player than rose. at the moment wall seems closer to wade in style. wall seems to have a pretty good second jump to tip in his own layups- wade is the best ive ever seen at this tho.
    Agreed. I don't think his ceiling is nearly as high as Rose's at least not at point guard. I mean he barely had a 2:1 assist-turnover ratio in college. and in the summer-league thus far he's 1:1. I think the fact he can't pass in summer league says something.

Decent college freshman TheGame414's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    Agreed. I don't think his ceiling is nearly as high as Rose's at least not at point guard. I mean he barely had a 2:1 assist-turnover ratio in college. and in the summer-league thus far he's 1:1. I think the fact he can't pass in summer league says something.
    No, it doesn't say anything. Summer league means nothing for elite guys except just getting on the court and getting your feet wet a little bit against a slightly higher level of competition than you played against in college. It means everything for guys trying to get a roster spot, but it's foolish to try to glean anything about the John Walls of the world from the summer league.

His college stats don't mean all that much more, for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame414
    No, it doesn't say anything. Summer league means nothing for elite guys except just getting on the court and getting your feet wet a little bit against a slightly higher level of competition than you played against in college. It means everything for guys trying to get a roster spot, but it's foolish to try to glean anything about the John Walls of the world from the summer league.

His college stats don't mean all that much more, for that matter.
    How it can it not mean something? he should DOMINATE this competition. Like you said it's slightly higher competition he should just be getting his feet wet learning how defenses are going to react and the like. But giving up eight turnovers? come on. the guy is a potential rookie of the year. And if you disregard college stats, then that means going back to high school. where Avery Bradley was higher ranked out of high school, was the better player, and was more of a point guard.

Bottomline he should be dominating. or at least looking good.

It doesn't say anything about him because it doesn't mean anything. Look at the history of summer league performances and find me one common thread that indicates anything for top-level guys. Darius Miles had a better summer league than LeBron, for god's sake. Your reasoning would be fine and well if these were games that mattered. But they're organized pickup games.

Do not waste energy trying to learn something about a guy like John Wall from a summer league game. For a guy trying to get a job, it means everything. For John Wall, it's just a hastily thrown together team with the most basic of playbooks and there's nothing you can learn about him. These games mean nothing to his NBA future. The most important thing is staying healthy.

And I didn't disregard college stats. There's just too many variables with college teams, systems and levels of competition to take them at face value. If they mean everything, then Demetri McCamey is as good as John Wall.

I agree with you, to extent like when JJ Hickson posted that I said oh it's summer league. but it's literally his job to pass the ball efficiently. He should be able to do that against summer league guys, and college guys. Yeah but the sec has how many dominate point guards? or even good defensive point guards? Devan Downey? and he lost to USC.

We knew ball security was an issue for Wall before he turned it over eight times in a summer league game. But it's a fixable one. Jason Kidd turned it over four times a game in college, too. (Granted, while averaging close to 10 assists, but still.)

Wall isn't as good as Rose, and he likely never will be.