Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Good college starter

Default Re: High School allowing Muslims to takeoff and pray....

Quote Originally Posted by dude77
    I don't give a fk about any of that .. I'm not into any religion .. I don't give a fk about anyone as long as they're not fkn with me ..

but lets not be hypocrites either ..

you don't need to wear any of that for work .. there are muslim women who don't wear it .. they chose not to wear it .. ultimately you wear it because you WANT to wear it or chose to wear it .. what if I say I need my cross to practice my religion ? .. be consistent .. if they allow them to wear some shit over there head, what is the problem with wearing a tiny cross around your neck ?
    But you DONT. Thats the difference. Go to any Muslim country and the women wear hijabs. Go to India and the Sikh's wear turbans. Its a complete necessity for their religion. It they dont feel that strongly about their religion, they have every right to go to work without wearing it. If they do, they also have the right to go to work wearing it.

Do hospitals make male Jewish workers take off their kippahs? No. A cross is just a piece of jewelry.

If you think no one should be allowed to wear anything religious at work, just come out and say it. Stop trying to sneakily talk about the cross not being allowed to try and make others look wrong for wearing their religious clothing at work. If you really think they are the same thing, then the fact that you are comparing these things just shows you actually have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

NBA All-star

listen.

if I was a coach, I too would also allow my players to occasionally go and get in the head of the opposing player if that's gonna help me win the ball game

Quote Originally Posted by sweggeh
    But you DONT. Thats the difference. Go to any Muslim country and the women wear hijabs. Go to India and the Sikh's wear turbans. Its a complete necessity for their religion. It they dont feel that strongly about their religion, they have every right to go to work without wearing it. If they do, they also have the right to go to work wearing it.

Do hospitals make male Jewish workers take off their kippahs? No. A cross is just a piece of jewelry.

If you think no one should be allowed to wear anything religious at work, just come out and say it. Stop trying to sneakily talk about the cross not being allowed to try and make others look wrong for wearing their religious clothing at work. If you really think they are the same thing, then the fact that you are comparing these things just shows you actually have no idea what the hell you are talking about.
    No, you're misunderstanding our point. We're not arguing that NOBODY should be allowed to wear their religious symbols. We are arguing that EVERYBODY should be allowed to wear their religious symbols. That being the case, it's not okay to exclude Christians. If a nurse wants to wear a cross, there should be no problem with that.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    No, you're misunderstanding our point. We're not arguing that NOBODY should be allowed to wear their religious symbols. We are arguing that EVERYBODY should be allowed to wear their religious symbols. That being the case, it's not okay to exclude Christians. If a nurse wants to wear a cross, there should be no problem with that.
    A Christian coming to work with a cross is like a Muslim coming into work with a "I love Allah" scarf. Nothing wrong with that and while it is a religious statement, it is not something which your religion makes you wear. Your employers absolutely have the right to tell you to not come in with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sweggeh

they don't need to wear a hijab either .. again, there are women who don't wear that .. don't tell me it's absolutely mandatory when there are women who don't wear it .. the problem with your stance is that you want to give them all the leeway they want in wearing it or not wearing it .. accommodate muslim folks at all costs according to you .. but you're a wearing a christian cross ? take that shit off .. gtfoh .. there are folks who wear a cross all the damn time because of their deep religious beliefs and they feel they 'need' to wear it .. I DON'T GIVE FK WHAT YOU WEAR as long as it's not messing with other people in any way .. that includes wearing a cross
    Last edited by dude77; 10-19-2014 at 05:45 PM.

Separation of church and state. Kids shouldn't be practicing religion at public schools. If they want to practice their religion during school hours, I suggest they go to a private school.

Quote Originally Posted by dude77
    they don't need to wear a hijab either .. again, there are women who don't wear that .. don't tell me it's absolutely mandatory when there are women who don't wear it .. the problem with your stance is that you want to give them all the leeway they want in wearing it or not wearing it .. accommodate muslim folks at all costs according to you .. but you're a wearing a christian cross ? take that shit off .. gtfoh .. there are folks who wear a cross all the damn time because of their deep religious beliefs and they feel they 'need' to wear it .. I DON'T GIVE FK WHAT YOU WEAR as long as it's not messing with other people in any way .. that includes wearing a cross
    Let me educate you on the matter since you seem to be ignorant about this. Those that wear hijab or turban believe they are supposed to. Sure, a lot of modern muslim women are not wearing it. I find it hypocritical when they wear one at the mosque, but as soon as they get out it comes off but that's for another day. Every person has their own beliefs, and if they don't wear a head scarf, than they will not wear one at work. But if they wear one outside the home or in front of anyone who she isn't family with, than she WILL wear it at work and should be allowed.

It is all about beliefs. If she takes Islam seriously and wears a hijab, than absolutely she should wear one at work because they believe that if anyone sees their hair it is a sin. So don't state stupid shit like "they dont need to wear a hijab either because I saw some muslim girls who weren't wearing and they didnt die from it"

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    Let me educate you on the matter since you seem to be ignorant about this. Those that wear hijab or turban believe they are supposed to. Sure, a lot of modern muslim women are not wearing it. I find it hypocritical when they wear one at the mosque, but as soon as they get out it comes off but that's for another day. Every person has their own beliefs, and if they don't wear a head scarf, than they will not wear one at work. But if they wear one outside the home or in front of anyone who she isn't family with, than she WILL wear it at work and should be allowed.

It is all about beliefs. If she takes Islam seriously and wears a hijab, than absolutely she should wear one at work because they believe that if anyone sees their hair it is a sin. So don't state stupid shit like "they dont need to wear a hijab either because I saw some muslim girls who weren't wearing and they didnt die from it"
    repped good to see a nyc brother spitting this. but i do agree with macho, your choice of words on that specific topic is little harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99

And as an American business owner, it's my right not to hire someone who refuses to work without a scarf on their head. Just like it's my right not to hire someone with tattoos on their neck or a mo-hawk. You can talk all you want about someone's right to practice their religion, but you also have to consider someone's right to disagree with those practices.

What if my religion states it's a sin to cover your hair? Which religios belife should supersede the other? That's why religion shouldn't be brought into the discussion at all. If you want a job, you go by their rules. If you're religious beliefs are so strong that you can't abide by those rules? Find another job.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    And as an American business owner, it's my right not to hire someone who refuses to work without a scarf on their head. Just like it's my right not to hire someone with tattoos on their neck or a mo-hawk. You can talk all you want about someone's right to practice their religion, but you also have to consider someone's right to disagree with those practices.

What if my religion states it's a sin to cover your hair? Which religios belife should supersede the other? That's why religion shouldn't be brought into the discussion at all. If you want a job, you go by their rules. If you're religious beliefs are so strong that you can't abide by those rules? Find another job.
    There are laws about this right? If you don't hire them or fire them because they insist on wearing a scarf then it could be considered religious discrimination which I believe is against the law.

The law supercede religion.

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    There are laws about this right? If you don't hire them or fire them because they insist on wearing a scarf then it could be considered religious discrimination which I believe is against the law.

safety and anti-bullying supercede religion

that I do agree.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree

I wish they did this for me. Last time I checked, this is America. There is a reason why most majority Islamic States are 3rd world. They pray all day and not enough progress in their countries.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...e9c_story.html
    OP apparently knows nothing about the US. The supreme court decided this back in the early 80s, when mormon kids (and others) were getting a class period to go to the seminary building, just "off" campus. The SC said they could do this, but not get HS credit for that hour (they were getting credit for that hour).

If you go past any HS or MS in Utah, you will see a LDS seminary building just off campus. They get a class period to go there (if they want), but it does not count as HS credit anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine

It's not that black and white.

For example, businesses that require a uniform are within their legal rights to enforce a dress code.

It's not an absolute rule that you can't discriminate. If you have a legitimate claim that something conflicts with your business interests, you are within your rights.

We actually see it all the time with stories about teachers getting fired from private Christian schools when it gets exposed that they are gay or divorced, etc. This is a case of legal discrimination. You can make a legitimate claim that having a gay teacher may cause some people to not send their kids to that school or that people might not donate money.
    Last edited by NumberSix; 10-20-2014 at 11:18 AM.

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    OP apparently knows nothing about the US. The supreme court decided this back in the early 80s, when mormon kids (and others) were getting a class period to go to the seminary building, just "off" campus. The SC said they could do this, but not get HS credit for that hour (they were getting credit for that hour).

If you go past any HS or MS in Utah, you will see a LDS seminary building just off campus. They get a class period to go there (if they want), but it does not count as HS credit anymore.

there's also the GED

but them nerds be all about that AP

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    It's not that black and white.

For example, businesses that require a uniform are within their legal rights to enforce a dress code.

It's not an absolute rule that you can't discriminate. If you have a legitimate claim that something conflicts with your business interests, you are within your rights.

We actually see it all the time with stories about teachers getting fired from private Christian schools when it gets exposed that they are gay or divorced, etc. This is a case of legal discrimination. You can make a legitimate claim that having a gay teacher may cause some people to not send their kids to that school or that people might not donate money.
    That is correct but not what I was talking about unfortunately.