Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lol: smh:

Default which nba players could you confidently beat in a three point or ft contest?

which nba players could you take on a 3 point or ft contest that you could confidently beat with you betting your own money?

You have 3 days to prep for it.

has to be current nba players. or hypothetically past nba players that are in their present playing days.

so you can't pick a retired shaq, who hasn't shot the ball in a long time.
    Last edited by mhsbasketball; 10-30-2014 at 05:15 PM.

Default Re: which nba players could you confidently beat in a three point or ft contest?

If there's anything at stake I'd go up against LeBron.

In just a friendly game with nothing on the line, I'll take on the bum ass bitch, Kendrick Perkins.

Default Re: which nba players could you confidently beat in a three point or ft contest?

In the playoff basketball, 4th quarter, tight, all or nothing, i would go up against durant. Who i could probably beat 9/10: wade, bosh, chalmers, varejao, etc.

Banned

Dunno I'd be hesitant to pick a big guy whos role isn't to shoot 3s because you always hear about how so and so can hit 3s in practice. I'd probably got for a guard who is supposed to be able to shoot 3s but can't. Maybe a rookie like Elfrid Payton who's too scared to even attempt them even when wide open and when it's well within his position to be doing it.

Andre Drummond in a FT contest. I'm confident I could do better than 42%

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Jordan for 3pts
    Pippen for freethrows

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

Back when Marion was still a Sun (season before he went to the Heat), i got so pissed at him for missing so many easy looks that i actually said i could beat him in a 3pt contest. Probably won't, but yeah.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

It's different in practice than a game situation. Some random competition is probably closer to practice.

Doesn't Dwight hit ~80/100 free throws in practice?

But I could beat Steph in a 3pt contest.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
    It's different in practice than a game situation. Some random competition is probably closer to practice.

Doesn't Dwight hit ~80/100 free throws in practice?

But I could beat Steph in a 3pt contest.
    Dwights one I was thinking of in my earlier post, there was talk back in the orlando days that he could hit 3s in practice too. Some of the bigs are decent shooters in practice but wouldn't take those shots in game, after all they are professional basketballers.

nothing, nobody.. none of you guys would even beat deandre jordan at a 3 point contest.

NBA Superstar

I'm confident I could defeat many NBA players in a free throw contest. And yes, I know even the bad ones shoot better in practice. But without trying to sound like a jerk, I believe my peak free throw shooting ability eclipses that of many.

NBA 3-pointers are a different task altogether. They're not really something I've ever really made a habit of practicing. I'd have to see how big men like DeAndre and Andre hit from that range before coming to any sort of conclusion. I'd say chances are not great, but certainly not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    Dwights one I was thinking of in my earlier post, there was talk back in the orlando days that he could hit 3s in practice too. Some of the bigs are decent shooters in practice but wouldn't take those shots in game, after all they are professional basketballers.
    This is always a delicate topic because, yes, they're pro ball players who - for whatever they do best - will perform at the highest level of basketball 4234 times better than we ever would. But some truly do have flaws that could be eclipsed by lesser players. The free throws are but one example. There are undoubtedly thousands of players out there who amounted to little but could defeat Dwight Howard in a free throw contest. He makes 80% in practice. Many random non-pro players connect on near 90% in games.

Similarly, many big men did not reach the league because they could shoot. That doesn't mean they can't shoot, but if someone is as huge and dominant inside as DeAndre Jordan, their stroke from deep could be worse than a high schooler's and it would not have much of an impact on their standing within the game. That doesn't mean Jordan is that bad. It's just, a seven-footer making it to the league does not automatically give them a ticket to be a sharp-shooter by even pedestrian standards.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 10-30-2014 at 06:03 PM.

Free Throws : Jerome Lane

3-Pointers : Joe Wolf

Banned

Joey Dorsey on both

Two-Time Oscar MVP robert de niro's Avatar

most of ish wouldn't even beat a current craig sager

College superstar

Normally I'd be all about this, but I've shot around only 70-75% from the FT line in the last 8 or 9 days I've shot around. To be fair to me, I hadn't shot in about a year. But that still surprised me.

When I'm in practice, I hover right around 80-85% from the line. So I'm pretty confident I could beat some players from the line. As for 3? As Rake said, it's not likely that many of us practice shots from nearly 24 feet. In HS I did, and I would have been way more confident. But not now. I'd still take my chances against Drummond or someone like that, but I wouldn't know what to expect from either him or me.