Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Denver Nuggets Forum

Denver Nuggets Forum Denver Nuggets forum - Denver Nuggets message board

Old 09-22-2008, 01:42 PM   #1
KRAYZIE
Decent college freshman

Default Nuggets: The Team Most Likely To Fade In Turmoil?

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/...to-Follow.html

Quote:

Not too long ago, 25 ESPN writers, editors and contributors weighed in on a number of topics concerning the upcoming season.

One issue discussed was which team was most likely to descend into turmoil.

You know the story. The Isiah Thomas Knicks. "The Ship be Sinkin'" Knicks. The Jail Blazers. The Clippers for a decade or two.

It happens sometimes. Things start poorly, continue worse, and then ... everyone seems to start agreeing that the team is falling apart.

There is an unofficial code in sports that players and coaches essentially do not make public statements about how bad their team or co-workers are. They just don't ... except on these teams.

Angry players. Dejected players. Tuned out coaches. Newspapers running photos of players looking upset or beaten (like the photos I am running with this story).

So, will we get one of those teams in the NBA this season? You have to kind of hope not. It's no fun at all to watch.

But it could happen.

The survey of 25 ESPN experts says ... that the Denver Nuggets are the most likely team to descend into turmoil.

They lead the pack with five votes. They are followed by the Clippers with four votes, then the Knicks and Suns with three each. The Rockets, Nets, and Mavericks each got two votes, while Detroit and Memphis each got one. Two voters abstained.

One thing that's noteworthy? Not a single vote for the Lakers, who would have won this category in a landslide a year ago. Winning is a fantastic thing.

Some of the voters agreed to explain their picks.
The Nuggets got a whopping five votes.

ESPN.com's Chad Ford says:

Denver seems to me the poster child for team turmoil next year. They've had high expectations with Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony, but the team hasn't lived up to them.

This summer Anthony was on the trading block for a short time and his future with the team still seems very much up in the air. Allen Iverson is in the last year of his contract and has the potential to cause problems if he isn't traded or doesn't get the contract renewed. The loss of Marcus Camby wasn't taken well by Iverson or Anthony. The Nuggets just took a big step backwards in their ability to compete.

To top it all off, the team has virtually no ability to get significantly under the cap to make the necessary adjustments, even if they let Iverson walk. Kenyon Martin is in a near-max deal. Anthony is maxed out. Nene is getting paid ridiculous dollars as well. They are likely a luxury tax paying, non-playoff team with two players on the roster who consider themselves superstars and a very volatile head coach.

Akron Beacon-Journal writer, and ESPN.com contributor, Brian Windhorst has lists:

Allen Iverson didn't get his extension, which at his age and contract demands was understandable but may not exactly have him thinking team-first right now.
Already one of the worst defensive teams in the league, Denver's best two defensive players (Marcus Camby and Eduardo Najera) are gone for nothing in return.
J.R. Smith now has more years on his contract than George Karl, which makes you wonder how that relationship will continue to fester.
There was already some question behind the scenes as to how committed Karl was at the end of last season and now it seems like he could easily become the scapegoat if the now weaker Nuggets can't keep up in the ultra-strong West.
Owner Stan Kroenke, perhaps tired of paying huge luxury tax bills for a team that can't get past the first round, has obviously ordered the payroll slashed and surely seems more interested these days in acquiring controlling interest in European soccer power Arsenal than investing in his Nuggets.
Unlike LeBron James, Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh, Carmelo Anthony signed a full five-year extension in 2006 and is under contract through 2012, not '10 like the others. Which means less pressure to keep the resident superstar happy.
"So it surely seems," Windhorst concludes, "the Nuggets could be set up for a rebuilding phase if they fail this year with Iverson coming off the books. You never know, but the table hasn't exactly been set for them to succeed."

ESPN.com NBA analyst David Thorpe says he sees "all sorts of potential problems in Denver:"

Trading away Camby could serve as the fuse that lights that team up. He is well liked by most of his teammates, not the least of which because of his ability to cover up their defensive lapses with his shot blocking.

The bigger picture issue is that 'Melo and AI know this team is not going anywhere, and will be looking over their shoulder for trade stories every day. That team has always been a challenge to coach for all of the reasons we suspect, but subtracting hope from the formula may drain any chance Coach Karl had at keeping a group of 'stars' (who have lost eight straight playoff games) together and focused. Indeed, trading one of both of their stars away for a chance to build a new future might be the best move Denver can make.

I can't help but think that the Denver execs will be looking at Philly, if the Sixers are rolling with Andre Miller, and think "that's our point guard leading that team. How good would we be if we still had him?"

ESPN.com editor Maurice Brooks also voted for the Nuggets:

Allen Iverson is still great at dialing his own number offensively, but he doesn't make the players around him better. Is this the season where A.I. finally loses a step ... or two? Kenyon Martin and Nene are decent, but neither one of them ever seem to stay healthy. Although they aren't exactly role models, Carmelo Anthony and J.R. Smith are both solid players, but will that be enough for the Nuggets to punch a ticket to the playoffs in the ultra-competitive West? No. And George Karl will end up being the fall guy

According to ESPN, no team is going to fall down harder than the Nuggets next season and while I do agree with some of the negatives that they pointed out, I don't think that this team will fall apart or be hit the worst out of the entire league. The only reason why everyone counts them out now is becuz of the Camby loss, well I don't think losing Camby is that big of a deal..well not anymore. Also, note that other things such as the Nuggets wanting to get rid of Melo in the off-season(Lol, yeah right!) or Karl's relationship with Melo, J.R., etc.., or couple of players past off-court incident's, play a part in this too, but only a little imo.

Last time I checked, this team is still loaded with talent-see AI, Melo, J.R., Kleiza, etc... And not only that, but this team is now even more athletic than they were with Marcus. I don't want to say it, but Camby, defense-wise is overrated, there I said it and not only that, but his stats are overrated too, well maybe not overrated, but a little distorted. Because of the fact that the Nuggets play at such a high fast pace-style of game which results in more possessions per game, which again results in bigger statistical build-ups, especially on his part. (Marcus is still one of my favorite players btw).

Sometimes I get the feeling that people(critics) are forgetting that this "TEAM", not "CAMBY" won 50 games in a ridiculously tough Western Conference last season and are or have been so quick to count them out every single year based on their poor playoff showing(s)-(see the previous 2 playoffs, hell why stop at 2? maybe 3 or even last 4).

This team will not face the most turmoil because either Dallas, Goldenstate, or Houston will, imo. And this team will not be as bad as the media makes it out to be and they will be battling for the 6-8th seed(Yeah I know, 6 is being very generous lol).
Realistically, I'm expecting this team to grab either the 7th or 8th seed and getting eliminated in the 1st round once again.
(Holy Sh*t, my grammer needs work)

Quote:
ESPN.com editor Maurice Brooks also voted for the Nuggets:
Although they aren't exactly role models, Carmelo Anthony and J.R. Smith are both solid players,
I'm sorry, but did this fool just call Carmelo a solid player?
KRAYZIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
Geandily
Local High School Star

Default Re: Nuggets: The Team Most Likely To Fade In Turmoil?

ESPN likes to make bold predictions, and they're allowed to because when they're wrong nobody calls them out and the guys that make the predictions never come back to eat their crow. Look at the ESPN Power Rankings for the NFL, three weeks ago they had the Chargers as the #2 team in the NFL, now they have them ranked 13th.

Losing Camby is going to be good for this team, our biggest problem is Karl not willing to draw up plays and his attitude towards JR and Carmelo.
Geandily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:30 PM   #3
francesco totti
Decent college freshman

Last year Stephen A. Smith said will win the nba title..he got it wayy wrong. we werent even close to it..

this year espn saying we will be the most likely to fade in turmoil..
so probably will win it
francesco totti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:44 PM   #4
Geandily
Local High School Star

Didnt they also say that the Lakers were going to fall apart last year? They might have won the championship if Odom didnt go down!

Don't put any stock into what ESPN says about a season before it starts.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAYZIE
Last time I checked, this team is still loaded with talent-see AI, Melo, J.R., Kleiza, etc... And not only that, but this team is now even more athletic than they were with Marcus. I don't want to say it, but Camby, defense-wise is overrated, there I said it and not only that, but his stats are overrated too, well maybe not overrated, but a little distorted. Because of the fact that the Nuggets play at such a high fast pace-style of game which results in more possessions per game, which again results in bigger statistical build-ups, especially on his part. (Marcus is still one of my favorite players btw).

I hope this is your way of coping with the "fact" that the team is weaker this year than last. Cause I really dont see how losing Camby and Najera... two of the teams best defenders.... somehow makes the team better. Diawara even had decent defense and you lost him.

The fact of the matter is... defense is where this team will always suck. Carmelo is a little to big to play SF, and Iverson is a little to small to play SG. This is what leaves a big gap in those star combo guard/forwards out west... (Kobe, T-Mac, S. Jackson, Maggette, Roy, Ginobili)... These guys are a little too fast for Melo and a little to tall/strong for Iverson.

Paired with all of that, the team has garbage backup positions at PF + C. So if Nene or K-Mart get injured (like they've done alot in the past years), the team is forced to go with a very small lineup making their defense worse or start Andersen or Hunter.

Those are the reasons the team is almost destined for failure. Its really going to take all the starters being healthy for the full year, and some key injuries out West for this team to make the playoffs.
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:34 PM   #6
OneMoreSucka
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geandily
Didnt they also say that the Lakers were going to fall apart last year? They might have won the championship if Odom didnt go down!

Don't put any stock into what ESPN says about a season before it starts.
It sure looked like the lakers would've fallen apart had they not stolen Gasol from memphis...and I believe you mean Bynum, not Odom.
OneMoreSucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:52 PM   #7
Geandily
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreSucka
It sure looked like the lakers would've fallen apart had they not stolen Gasol from memphis...and I believe you mean Bynum, not Odom.

Oh, yeah I did
Old 09-24-2008, 08:36 PM   #8
KRAYZIE
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasted86
I hope this is your way of coping with the "fact" that the team is weaker this year than last. Cause I really dont see how losing Camby and Najera... two of the teams best defenders.... somehow makes the team better. Diawara even had decent defense and you lost him.

This team is weaker this year than they were last? wow, who knew! Without you pointing that out, I wouldn't have noticed. Thanks!

Anyways, what I said was that this team is still loaded with talent, key word, now bear with me, was "still" and that Camby is a bit overrated defensively.
Also, I don't know how you up came with the conclusion that I somehow believe that the Nuggets losing both Najera and Camby makes them "better", so please, don't put words into my mouth.

On Camby's defense:
Camby puts up great "defensive" stat-lines in what seems like every night and is a great help defender, but that's where his defensive praises stop. He is a horrible man-to-man defender, he does not contest or challenge majority of the shots, much like the rest of the team. And to top it off, a team could abuse the pick and roll to death with Camby's man every single possession if they wanted to(I'm exaggerating a bit, but only a bit).

What's funny is that the Nuggets are only 1.1 points better per-100-possessions with Marcus:
http://www.82games.com/0708/07DEN17D.HTM

And I won't even go into Camby's offense(or lack thereof) and his age, which will play a significant role next season too.

As for losing Najera, yeah that was unfortunate, but we already got a replacement in Renaldo Balkman, I wouldn't expect you to know this of course.
KRAYZIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:19 PM   #9
OneMoreSucka
NBA Superstar

I'll take Balkman and the birdman over Najera any day of the week. Although one thing I will miss about Eddie was his quick backdoor cuts, he was always the best at that.
OneMoreSucka is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: