Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Maurice Cheeks FIRED!

How does Mo get fired but OB gets to keep his job?

Local High School Star JohnnyBravo5's Avatar

lol should have offered Josh Smith a contract. Elton Brand hasn't done squat for a team in 10 years.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crounsa810
    Press conference is on right now. Reporters seem pissed that he fired him and didn't get rid of players. A lot of questions about Brand not working out, etc. I agree though. He shouldn't have been fired. Brand is not the great player they thought he is. He's not a proven winner. Yeah, his career stats are pretty, but it means nothing if he hasn't ever been on a winner. In nine seasons, he's been in the playoffs once. Once. That's it. If he's such a great player, wouldn't he be able to carry his team at least to the playoffs? He's a nice guy, he just isn't meant to be the star of a team, and thats what Stefanski wants him to be. Not gonna work.

Anyway, DiLeo seems like a cool guy, but still he's not Mo Cheeks. Mo should still be here. DiLeo reminds me of someone, I just can't figure out who. Michael Keaton? No not Michael Keaton. Idk but he reminds me of someone.
    I love Cheeks as a player and he is the nicest dude on earth but he just sucks as a head coach. This team needs a shooter. If they had a shooter they would be a completely different team. The problem is, that now in the NBA there are only a handful of shooters. They need to ditch Iggy for a shooter and let Young develop. Young is very good and is getting better all the time.

Shooting isnt the only problem. Why many harp on it and for good reasons. There are a list of issues with the Sixers where if Sixers had shooters? Doesnt solve all those problems. Who on the Sixers gets to the line a significant amount of time? Who? Devin friggin Harris is getting to the line like an AI would. Who on the Sixers are causing/forcing turnovers? Team stinks there.

My point is its not like you add better shooters and see a vast improvement. You replace Iggy with a legit SG and you see a vast improvement. It would just be 1 maybe 2 steps in the right direction and you'll notice a difference. But you want a significant difference given what you have today and what you are expecting from this team.

Hopefully things can get straightened out so by time AS weekend is over Sixers can look like a different team then than they do now. Spacing is needed no doubt and shooters can help open things up. But there are things that still wont be affected in a positive way or if at all with better shooting.

The problem is, that now in the NBA there are only a handful of shooters.
    There are more than a handful of shooters in the NBA. Problem is who is available? And there you can say there are only a handful.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo5
    lol should have offered Josh Smith a contract. Elton Brand hasn't done squat for a team in 10 years.
    And neither has Josh Smith. Josh Smith on the Sixers doesnt help.

Not surprised.

I rule the local playground

Eh, never been a big Cheeks guy. Thought he had done an adequate job in his time in Philly. He had his issues, but this is a premature to me. Should have gotten a little more time to see if he could turn it around. Bigger problems with the team than Cheeks.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Shooting isnt the only problem. Why many harp on it and for good reasons. There are a list of issues with the Sixers where if Sixers had shooters? Doesnt solve all those problems. Who on the Sixers gets to the line a significant amount of time? Who? Devin friggin Harris is getting to the line like an AI would. Who on the Sixers are causing/forcing turnovers? Team stinks there.

My point is its not like you add better shooters and see a vast improvement. You replace Iggy with a legit SG and you see a vast improvement. It would just be 1 maybe 2 steps in the right direction and you'll notice a difference. But you want a significant difference given what you have today and what you are expecting from this team.

Hopefully things can get straightened out so by time AS weekend is over Sixers can look like a different team then than they do now. Spacing is needed no doubt and shooters can help open things up. But there are things that still wont be affected in a positive way or if at all with better shooting.

There are more than a handful of shooters in the NBA. Problem is who is available? And there you can say there are only a handful.
    Let me just clarify a couple of things. Legit shooters, there really aren't that many anymore. It's certainly not like the '80s into the mid '90s. The midrange jumpshot is a lost art. Shooters aren't as plentiful as they once were that's why Jason Kapono got a big contract. Not that he sucks, but I don't think he's any better than Steve Kerr was and Kerr never averaged even 9pts a game. So when I say shooters I guess I'm comparing people who are deemed shooters in the league today, that wouldn't have been considered as good in Kerr's day. There aren't many good shooters and there aren't any available because if a team has one, they usually hold on to him because of their scarcity.

Ok, more about the shooting. Yes you add better shooters and there will be an improvement. If you replace Iggy with a real shooter there will be an improvement. Why is no one getting to the line? There are no shooters. In a half court set, if you can't shoot your defender can sag off of you so you can't drive. In Iggy's case he can't dribble in the first place so when you add the fact that he can't shoot into the equation he is rendered useless. So yes shooting will add spacing to the floor which they desperately need. Without the shooting they can't get spacing so no one ca get to the line. So I agree with what you are saying but I think that their deficiency with getting to the line is directly related to their poor shooting. This can all be masked with swarming defense and fast breaks. The only problem is that this year they decided to be a half court team. It was obviously the wrong decision.

National High School Star

to bad mo wasnt the problem. there problem is theyre just not very talented. fans got teased with them winning late games last year with defense and thought wow maybe our team isnt as bad as we thought

fans were expecting the best from the team this year and thats it, the ABSOLUTE BEST, like if brand and andre were both gonna have all star years. guys like brand and andre havent consistenly played to there potential there whole careers, theyre like a bunch of rasheed wallaces, one night theyll bring it and the next wont, thats why they were the ultimate up and down team last year, 1 month they look like a lottery and so on. i lost track of there record but i guessing theyre a couple games under(havent payed attention since november). philly should go right back to what they were doing last season and play it like theyre in rebuilding mode because everybody acting like this is a win now team is clueless

sorry for the run on sentence, my 2nd grade teacher is rolling in her grave

Everyone wasnt thinking that. I wasnt. I already know last years teams vs what to expect this season.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Everyone wasnt thinking that. I wasnt. I already know last years teams vs what to expect this season.
    media and people on here

they were thinking ElLTON BRAND!! mr 20-25ppg and 10rebs + andre who is finally a legit swingman = 45-50 wins automatic! might even contend for conference title!!

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    Let me just clarify a couple of things. Legit shooters, there really aren't that many anymore. It's certainly not like the '80s into the mid '90s. The midrange jumpshot is a lost art. Shooters aren't as plentiful as they once were that's why Jason Kapono got a big contract. Not that he sucks, but I don't think he's any better than Steve Kerr was and Kerr never averaged even 9pts a game. So when I say shooters I guess I'm comparing people who are deemed shooters in the league today, that wouldn't have been considered as good in Kerr's day. There aren't many good shooters and there aren't any available because if a team has one, they usually hold on to him because of their scarcity.
    Gotcha.

Ok, more about the shooting. Yes you add better shooters and there will be an improvement. If you replace Iggy with a real shooter there will be an improvement. Why is no one getting to the line? There are no shooters. In a half court set, if you can't shoot your defender can sag off of you so you can't drive. In Iggy's case he can't dribble in the first place so when you add the fact that he can't shoot into the equation he is rendered useless. So yes shooting will add spacing to the floor which they desperately need. Without the shooting they can't get spacing so no one ca get to the line. So I agree with what you are saying but I think that their deficiency with getting to the line is directly related to their poor shooting.
    Interesting point. I agree with it.

This can all be masked with swarming defense and fast breaks. The only problem is that this year they decided to be a half court team. It was obviously the wrong decision.
    Yeah. And I think Elton Brand isnt playing much in the post, under the basket as I'd expected/want. He too should be getting to the FT line more than he has. And agree with the fast breaks. Even if a team scores they should quickly push the ball and create offense that way. Last year they did but also did so when forcing turnovers (which isnt happening much this yr).

I dont wanna come across as if I'm brushing off shooters, legit ones at that. Not at all. Been screaming for those all offseason. Heck Kareem Rush isnt great but I would have liked to have seen him get some steady minutes to gain some consistentcy/confidence into what he could have brung. Eh

One thing that is interesting with the selection of Tony as the interim HC? He pretty much had an hands on as far as scouting, evaluting the majority of this roster. He's apart of the building of this team. So what new voice/change will he bring? These are pretty much your guys and you envisioned something so see if you can bring it to light somewhat.

Also let Thaddeus Young get involved more. He's just out there

Now I'm really interested in the trades. This roster will be shaken up. Throw everyone on the table except Thaddeus Young and I'm leaning towards Speights but if its an established stud who instantly would help? Eh, sorry Speights. Brand you cant trade him. Just got him, big contract. But the rest?

Dangle and see whats being offered in return. We can do without Sammy Dalembert. Ah well. They better beat Wash new coach or not.

Saw a basketball once MasterKey68's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Day La Ghetto
    media and people on here

they were thinking ElLTON BRAND!! mr 20-25ppg and 10rebs + andre who is finally a legit swingman = 45-50 wins automatic! might even contend for conference title!!
    So true. I got sick of listening to how good the 76ers were gonna be and how far they were gonna go in the playoffs. Now they might even not make the playoffs.

I rule the local playground

We can do without Sammy Dalembert. Ah well
    Flashback to when apparently the Suns offered Joe Johnson for Sam before they both signed their big contracts. Sam has given me constant headaches for years.