Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: Sorry, Sonic Fans. (A Sad Sad Day)

Thanks for the sympathy everyone.

But who is optimistic for an expansion team?

They may have taken the Sonic, but they can never have Grundge Rock. Keep Seattle Sleezy you guyz!

Local High School Star intrinsic's Avatar

I didn't follow it as closely as I should have, but why was Renton the proposed site? Did Bennett have some kind of development deal worked out for the land surrounding a new arena? I know there's been efforts to stimulate growth in Renton, but what was Bennett's interest here?

While doing some rough research this morning, I learned that Bennett had donated to the campaign of the previous mayor of Renton -- Keolker -- who was up for re-election(and lost).

Interesting, since this diverted much needed attention and resources from the more serious issues in Renton. ie population density, crime rate, infrastructure improvements, attracting business. On the surface, it appears that the Sonics move would solve a good portion of those issues, but Mayor Keolker and Clay Bennett seemed to be posturing for the camera with no real consideration of a Renton move. In turn, the studies were nothing more than empty proposals aimed at positive PR. (Bennett appearing to make efforts to keep the Sonics in Seattle, and Keolker with the appearance of "saving" her own city.)

NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by intrinsic
    On the surface, it appears that the Sonics move would solve a good portion of those issues, but Mayor Keolker and Clay Bennett seemed to be posturing for the camera with no real consideration of a Renton move. In turn, the studies were nothing more than empty proposals aimed at positive PR. (Bennett appearing to make efforts to keep the Sonics in Seattle, and Keolker with the appearance of "saving" her own city.)
    yeah

bennett just used the renton proposal to show he tried to get a new arena. he knew full well that the seattle mayor/council didnt want to lose the focus off the key arena and the overall well being of the seattle center

bennett was slick in being able to publicly divert the attention off of his true goal: move the team to okc

Default Re: RIP Seattle Board - Goodbye Sonic Fans. (A Sad Sad Day)

Quote Originally Posted by catzhernandez
    That was such a great thread, good read.

I personally love your piece in the article forum, myself. Props.

What will you do, RBP? Which team will you support now?
    i have always secondarily cheered for the knicks and clippers. i will probably adopt the closest team-- the blazers -- we'll see once the season gets going

roy and webster are from seattle

Local High School Star intrinsic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
    yeah

bennett just used the renton proposal to show he tried to get a new arena. he knew full well that the seattle mayor/council didnt want to lose the focus off the key arena and the overall well being of the seattle center

bennett was slick in being able to publicly divert the attention off of his true goal: move the team to okc
    Yeah. Its sad how destructive these business dealings can be. That Renton Mayor was acting as an extension of Bennett. I can be grateful for one thing however, this move is a bit easier to digest as an adult. Not trying to soften the blow, but I would be devastated as a child. Really, this would rank up there with the loss of a loved one. As a longtime Bellevue resident, it still hurts though. I have visions of Michael Cage doing work down low (at 6'9 no less) with Hersey Hawkins draining that beautiful perimeter shot. Along with DJ, they were my favorite sonics of all time. I know they weren't career sonics or all-time greats, but I loved these players and what they brought to the team.

Learning to shoot layups

Saw a basketball once MiamiHeatFan79's Avatar

ill always remeber the finals that the bulls and sonics played in. sure they lost but they played a hell of a sries againt the jordan led bulls. i know you guys will have an expansion team someday or heck maybe even another team that relocates. i cant see toronto keeping the raptors forever and maybe even the clippers i cant see them staying in los angeles with the lakers forever being in the limelight.

Saw a basketball once

The Sonics lost their team because their government and people took the team for granted till it was way too late. That's what this all comes down to. If it wasn't OKC it was going to be someone from Vegas or Kansas City or Louisville or somewhere else that was going to take the Sonics away.

Quote Originally Posted by NickZeppelin
    The Sonics lost their team because their government and people took the team for granted till it was way too late. That's what this all comes down to. If it wasn't OKC it was going to be someone from Vegas or Kansas City or Louisville or somewhere else that was going to take the Sonics away.

Quote Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet

Learning to shoot layups

^^ ditto

Saw a basketball once

You guys can not like what I said but it doesn't make it not true.

Learning to shoot layups

It may not be untrue but there is no need to kick us while we are down.

Us Sonics fans have to deal with a major loss. You initial post was unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by NickZeppelin
    i was just reacting nz

you, in part, right. our politicos let us down but that was a secondary reason the sonics left-- not a primary reason