Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 04-23-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
BALLin01
Local High School Star

BALLin01 has decent reputationBALLin01 has decent reputation
Default How to maximize your skills?

I'm only 5'8 and I want to know how to maximize my skills. I have a lot of time on my hands so I can practice for up to 2-3 hours daily. Any tips?
BALLin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:43 AM   #2
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board
Default Re: How to maximize your skills?

Practice shooting, ball handling, footwork, everything that you will need for the game... and then weight training (moderate on the upper body, heavy on the lower) It's pretty much as simple as that... and then run games to test your skills... and continue to hone your skills with practice.

Make sure you eat healthy too... you won't your body fat to be low... around 7% or so. That will maximize your physical abilities.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 04-24-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
BALLin01
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Practice shooting, ball handling, footwork, everything that you will need for the game... and then weight training (moderate on the upper body, heavy on the lower) It's pretty much as simple as that... and then run games to test your skills... and continue to hone your skills with practice.

Make sure you eat healthy too... you won't your body fat to be low... around 7% or so. That will maximize your physical abilities.

Thanks, any specific types of drills?
Old 04-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

jamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation here

Endurance and conditioning are very important IMO. If you can keep the high tempo at the end of game, it's a win...
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

There are a ton of drills on youtube. Just go there and pick some that you like... ones that you feel will best help your game. At 5'8, you are a guard, so look at the different guard drills they have on there.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:39 AM   #6
623baller
dedicate

623baller has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALLin01
I'm only 5'8 and I want to know how to maximize my skills. I have a lot of time on my hands so I can practice for up to 2-3 hours daily. Any tips?

here's some shooting/triple threat drills that i do, if you put in 2~3 hrs daily, i think you'll be a pretty good 1 on 1 player in a month or two.

pick 5 spots on the court , usually i just do left 45, left baseline, right baseline, right 45 and top

do the following at each of the 5 spots in game speed.

Mid Range:
1. start in triple threat position, pump fake, take a step and a dribble to the right and pull up make 5 (focus on the foot work so you dont travel)
2. start in triple threat position, pump fake, take a step and a dribble to the left and pull up make 5
3. start in dribbling position like you are about to take someone off dribble, cross over to the right and pull up . make 5
4. start in dribbling position, cross over to the left and pull up. make 5

Long Distance:
5. make 5 threes

Slashing:
6. start in triple threat position or off dribble which ever you want to work on or happens to you in game situation the most. go to the right and make 5 lay ups
7.start in triple threat position or off dribble which ever you want to work on or happens to you in game situation the most. go to the left and make 5 lay ups

once you done all 5 spots, hit 50 free throws to wrap it up

you might want to modify it to fit your game , try to time yourself week by week and set a targeted finish time so you know you are improving.

things that i would watch out for while doing these drills:
1. slow your shot fake so you are not just pumping it systematically
2. watch your first step , make sure your dribble hit the ground before at the same time
3. stay consistent with your form,
4. go quick on the move (e.g. slow shot fake but fast drop step n dribble, or slow off the dribble but quick cross)
5. Do them in game speed

this drill will make you a pretty decent 1 on 1 player whether street or regulation. but if you are more a role player than first offensive option on the team , modify it to fit your game, so you are doing more shooting or more slashing.
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
BALLin01
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 623baller
here's some shooting/triple threat drills that i do, if you put in 2~3 hrs daily, i think you'll be a pretty good 1 on 1 player in a month or two.

pick 5 spots on the court , usually i just do left 45, left baseline, right baseline, right 45 and top

do the following at each of the 5 spots in game speed.

Mid Range:
1. start in triple threat position, pump fake, take a step and a dribble to the right and pull up make 5 (focus on the foot work so you dont travel)
2. start in triple threat position, pump fake, take a step and a dribble to the left and pull up make 5
3. start in dribbling position like you are about to take someone off dribble, cross over to the right and pull up . make 5
4. start in dribbling position, cross over to the left and pull up. make 5

Long Distance:
5. make 5 threes

Slashing:
6. start in triple threat position or off dribble which ever you want to work on or happens to you in game situation the most. go to the right and make 5 lay ups
7.start in triple threat position or off dribble which ever you want to work on or happens to you in game situation the most. go to the left and make 5 lay ups

once you done all 5 spots, hit 50 free throws to wrap it up

you might want to modify it to fit your game , try to time yourself week by week and set a targeted finish time so you know you are improving.

things that i would watch out for while doing these drills:
1. slow your shot fake so you are not just pumping it systematically
2. watch your first step , make sure your dribble hit the ground before at the same time
3. stay consistent with your form,
4. go quick on the move (e.g. slow shot fake but fast drop step n dribble, or slow off the dribble but quick cross)
5. Do them in game speed

this drill will make you a pretty decent 1 on 1 player whether street or regulation. but if you are more a role player than first offensive option on the team , modify it to fit your game, so you are doing more shooting or more slashing.

Thanks for the tips, I'll make sure to do those drills.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: