Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 06-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
Interminator
Banned

Default #1 Basketball Recruit In Class of 2010 Commits To Memphis

Quote:
The word came late Friday night, after Will and Antonio Barton had spent just a few hours participating in the University of Memphis' first elite camp under head coach Josh Pastner.

"It's official. We have committed," said Antonio Barton, referring to he and his brother's verbal pledge to the Tigers on Friday.

Having led Baltimore Lake Clifton High to a 28-0 record and a Class 3A state title this past season, Will, a highly ranked 6-6 shooting guard, and Antonio, a 6-2 combo guard, became Memphis' first two commitments from the Class of 2010.

"It was just that coaching staff, man," said Will, whom Rivals.com and Scout.com each rank a five-star prospect and the No. 1 shooting guard prospect in the Class of 2010.

"I've been having a good relationship with (Memphis assistant) coach (Glynn) Cyprien and coach Pastner for a while now, and those guys are great coaches and great human beings. I know they've got my back.

"Plus, the atmosphere down here, man. There's a lot of support down here."

The Baltimore Sun's All-Metro Player of the Year, Will averaged 18 points, 10 rebounds and four assists for Lake Clifton this past season after he and Antonio transferred from National Christian Academy in Fort Washington, Md.

Will, who is 11 months older, had scholarship offers from more than a dozen schools, including Kentucky, Maryland, Syracuse and Xavier.

Antonio, who averaged 15 points, seven assists and four rebounds as a junior, had also been considering offers from Miami (Fla.), Virginia and Xavier. Rivals.com ranks Antonio a three-star prospect.

"I just fell in love with the whole place. When they took us around on our visit (Friday), I liked the place, I liked the coaching staff and I liked the tempo that coach said that we're going to be playing," Antonio said.

"My mother liked it. My godfather. All of us liked it."

Just a few hours earlier Friday, Will told a crowd of Memphis media he and Antonio wouldn't necessarily land at the same school, though Memphis, Xavier and Virginia had apparently each offered to sign the brothers as a package deal.

"It's all about the right situation. Some schools I've got have not offered him, and he's got school's on him that haven't offered me," said Will, who is headed to prep school this fall while Antonio will remain at Lake Clifton.

But by Friday night, the brothers had made up their minds.

"This is 100 percent, right here," Will said of the pair's commitment. "One hundred percent."
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...commit-tigers/
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #2
Interminator
Banned

Default Re: #1 Basketball Recruit In Class of 2010 Commits To Memphis

This is possibly one of the best days in my life, this was a prediction I made 2 days ago they would commit to Memphis and it came true.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:21 PM   #3
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
This is possibly one of the best days in my life, this was a prediction I made 2 days ago they would commit to Memphis and it came true.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Yup.

Recruiting/HS Basketball/College basketball is my forte, I should be scouting for a college by now.

*waits for Posterize246's response*
Old 06-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #5
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

Ranked #7 by rivals, and #10 by scout. Great player obviously, but where are you getting #1?
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:12 PM   #6
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan
Ranked #7 by rivals, and #10 by scout. Great player obviously, but where are you getting #1?
http://hsmaryland.scout.com/a.z?s=75...yr=2010&cfg=bb

Hes not exactly #1, thats for Brandon Knight in terms of the listed rankings.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

#1 at his position and #1 in class are different things. That link shows that he's the #1 SG. The title of your thread is just a little misleading.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #8
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan
#1 at his position and #1 in class are different things. That link shows that he's the #1 SG. The title of your thread is just a little misleading.
True, I posted the thread out of sheer excitement.

If someone wants to edit it to #1 SG I'll be fine.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
Great life you got going there.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #10
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

Jesus, I thought Brandon Knight or Josh Smith had committed to Memphis, you god damn liar. This kid is not the #1 recruit. Maybe he will turn himself into that (no he won't), but that title was misleading.

Still, nice nice pick-up for Memphis, I guess losing Calipari won't kill their program as a contender like so many (including myself) thought it would. Now can Pastner put the talent he still seems to be reeling in to work, and keep the Tigers making Elite Eights and such?

Also, is Roburt Sallie going to stay at Memphis? I suspected he might transfer due to the coaching change, but retaining Will Coleman and landing Latavious Williams, and now the Bartons, might just change his mind. Or maybe he was never going to leave, I don't know.

Last edited by A.M.G. : 06-07-2009 at 02:26 PM.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #11
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
Great life you got going there.
Nah after everything my favorite sports team has been through, it was a very good day for us.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #12
lukeridnour08
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M.G.
Jesus, I thought Brandon Knight or Josh Smith had committed to Memphis, you god damn liar. This kid is not the #1 recruit. Maybe he will turn himself into that (no he won't), but that title was misleading.

Josh Smith is straight up BEAST.
lukeridnour08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:53 AM   #13
memphismania101
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Nah, Sallie isn't leaving. None of the players are leaving or transferring, but Taggart is staying in the draft.
memphismania101 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: