Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    College star

Default Re: David Stern: Sanctions coming

If Pop was serious about it, he would have pulled them from a game against a scrub team

Winning>Stats

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
    Yup. Exactly.

Pop is basically saying his team cannot compete. He threw the game to save face. Had his starters lost this game, everyone would be talking about how old they were instead of how deep since their scrub players nearly won the game.

Smart publicity stunt? Perhaps. But if you can read through the lines, this is easily one of the most pathetic moves a coach has made in the history of sports.
    He hasn't done it because he thinks the heat will thrash the Spurs. He's done it because the Spurs have had two long road trips with a four games in five nights stretch.

Pop is one of the most competitive guys in the league, but he is also a realist. Why tire out his guys for a regular season game?

Quote Originally Posted by Horatio33
    He hasn't done it because he thinks the heat will thrash the Spurs. He's done it because the Spurs have had two long road trips with a four games in five nights stretch.

Pop is one of the most competitive guys in the league, but he is also a realist. Why tire out his guys for a regular season game?
    Simple. They are getting paid millions to compete.

This isn't like Phil resting Jordan in the 4th quarter when he has played every minute while under the flu. Players are expected to condition themselves to compete back to back to back games during the regular course of the season.

If some stars can play injured, there should be no reason why these starters can't go out and compete against the best team in the league.

No excuse.

The Spurs have proven they are not true competitors.

This isn't like Phil resting Jordan in the 4th quarter when he has played every minute while under the flu. Players are expected to condition themselves to compete back to back to back games during the regular course of the season.

If some stars can play injured, there should be no reason why these starters can't go out and compete against the best team in the league.

No excuse.

Yep, the players get paid millions to play basketball. And the coach gets paid millions to decide when and how they play basketball.

The Spurs proved they aren't true competitors? Yeah, its that serious. Four rings and I don't know how many 50+ win seasons in a row, but if you don't play the Heat in November, you're not a true competitor. Yep, its that serious.
    Last edited by JustinJDW; 11-30-2012 at 05:47 AM.

No excuse.

Holy bullshit. Spurs play harder even in the regular season than any other team I've seen in the last decade.

Fans are stupid as hell. I've been to NBA games at the end of the regular season, and the fans don't understand why all the stars are sitting. Big f[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]cking deal.

Pop is brilliant. The move is a great confidence and chemistry builder, and it rests his best players so they can perform better in future games of the 82-game season. Pop has proven it's a genius move and he tends to win many games with his third-string players because of how he gets them to play.

If Spurs fans don't appreciate their coach, find another team to root for. If I were a Spurs fan at that game, I'd be rooting just as hard. I know because I've done it at certain Celtics games.

Banned

No excuse.

LAWL he almost beat the NBA champions without his 3 best players on national television? How is that not true competition. Now in the future when Miami does play San Antonio again, let's say it's the NBA finals, the Miami players will be like "Shit, we could barely beat them without Manu, Duncan and Parker, we're f*cked". Doubt will be subconsciously planted in their minds, and the San Antonio bench has alot of belief now.

GOOD COACHING.

Also, teams should be allowed to do what they want with their own players. I'm sick of this dictator Stern bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    Holy bullshit. Spurs play harder even in the regular season than any other team I've seen in the last decade.

Fans are stupid as hell. I've been to NBA games at the end of the regular season, and the fans don't understand why all the stars are sitting. Big f[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]cking deal.

Pop is brilliant. The move is a great confidence and chemistry builder, and it rests his best players so they can perform better in future games of the 82-game season. Pop has proven it's a genius move and he tends to win many games with his third-string players because of how he gets the to play.

If Spurs fans don't appreciate their coach, find another team to root for. If I were a Spurs fan at that game, I'd be rooting just as hard.
    Resting against the Heat and you call that brilliant?

The smart move would be to throw everything he got at the Heat to PROVE his team has what it takes. You don't cave in to the world champion like that. That's like Marquez calling up Manny and telling him he can't get in the ring because he was out partying late the night before.

If they were true competitors, then every game with the Heat will be treated like a playoff game because that is the team they will need to go through if they ever want another ring.

You don't focus on the ringless Grizzlies or even the La Lakers, Pop should know by now he needs to get past the Heat if he ever wants to win another championship.

Win or lose. He should of competed. This is a new Heat team with a new set of arsenals his starters needed to compete with in order to learn and evolve before the playoffs roll around.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease mikek85's Avatar

I hate David Stern..... omg

Resting against the Heat and you call that brilliant?

The smart move would be to throw everything he got at the Heat to PROVE his team has what it takes. You don't cave in to the world champion like that. That's like Marquez calling up Manny and telling him he can't get in the ring because he was out partying late the night before.

If they were true competitors, then every game with the Heat will be treated like a playoff game because that is the team they will need to go through if they ever want another ring.

You don't focus on the ringless Grizzlies or even the La Lakers, Pop should know by now he needs to get past the Heat if he ever wants to win another championship.

Win or lose. He should of competed. This is a new Heat team with a new set of arsenals his starters needed to compete with in order to learn and evolve before the playoffs roll around.
    You must not have watched Pop coach his way to any of his four championships.

You also don't get that the team he rests them against is meaningless. It's the end of an insanely difficult stretch of games. Your analogy doesn't make sense. lol Pop has done this a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    You must not have watched Pop coach his way to any of his four championships.

You also don't get that the team he rests them against is meaningless. It's the end of an insanely difficult stretch of games. Your analogy doesn't make sense. lol Pop has done this a ton.
    False.

First time I have ever seen a team rest their best players against the team they should beat if they ever wanted to win the championship.

Nope. Never heard of the Jazz resting Malone, Stockton, Hornacek, Russell, etc. against the Bulls nor have I ever heard of the Lakers resting Kobe when they are set to compete against an elite squad, regular season or not.

This sh*t is new.

Saw a basketball once

I totally agree.

I've seen a lot of support for Pop's decision, but I think by pulling his starters from the world champion and in my opinion still the best team so far this year is stupid. Win or lose, his starters should of treated this game like a playoff game because this is the team to beat if they were to make it to the finals. They need all the experience they can get, not f*ckin' Memphis Grizzlies.
    i had to log in for the first time in 4 months just to point out the stupidity of this comment.

Duncan/Parker/Ginobili need more experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young

Also, teams should be allowed to do what they want with their own players. I'm sick of this dictator Stern bullshit.
    So why not rest them against the Wizards or Orlando? The bench can prob handle those guys pretty well and it'll give their starters enough rest for the Heat game and then Grizzlies.

He caved. Simple as that.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

If Stern wants to do the "feel bad for the fans" bullshit, then it's time to build a governing body that approves bullshit trades. We've seen plenty. He was completely fine with destroying the Pacers (which they absolutely earned), but instead of stepping in and just letting players be released w/o cap ramifications in an unprecedented event that us fans clearly had no control over he destroyed the franchise. And it will NEVER recover. Fans didn't matter then. What's up Stern? You fugazi mother****er.

Quote Originally Posted by doublethetrouble
    i had to log in for the first time in 4 months just to point out the stupidity of this comment.

Duncan/Parker/Ginobili need more experience?
    Well considering they haven't won a ring for a while, there is still a lot they need to learn.

Both sides got their reasons, and both are right. Can't blame/hate neither Stern or Popovich.