Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Default Re: Big Ten fan thread

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniFan
    Maybe this will be the year they break their 20 game losing streak to the Illini.
    Anything is possible.

Decent college freshman TheGame414's Avatar

Conference season starts tonight, so here's my nonconference All-Big Ten teams...

1st team:

G- Talor Battle, Penn State (19.2 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 5.5 apg)
    G- Manny Harris, Michigan (19.8 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 5.1 apg)
    F- Evan Turner, Ohio State (16.2 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 2.9 apg, 2.7 spg)
    F- Robbie Hummel, Purdue (14.4 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 2.3 apg)
    F- DeShawn Sims, Michigan (17.2 ppg, 9.2 rpg)

2nd team:

G- Demetri McCamey, Illinois (12.2 ppg, 4.5 apg)
    G- Al Nolen, Minnesota (8.0 ppg, 6.3 apg, 2.3 spg)
    G- E'Twaun Moore, Purdue (14.4 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 3.2 apg)
    F- Raymar Morgan, Michigan State (15.3 ppg, 5.9 rpg, .653 FG%)
    F- Mike Davis, Illinois (12.1 ppg, 7.8 rpg, .545 FG%)

3rd team:

G- Kalin Lucas, Michigan State (11.4 ppg, 6.5 apg, 6.45/1 A/TO)
    G- Lawrence Westbrook, Minnesota (13.0 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 2.0 apg)
    F- Jamelle Cornley, Penn State (14.8 ppg, 7.0 rpg)
    F- Marcus Landry, Wisconsin (12.1 ppg, 4.3 rpg)
    C- JuJuan Johnson, Purdue (12.3 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 2.2 bpg)

NBA Superstar

And the dominance begins.

NBA Superstar

Big game tonight at home for MSU. Beating two of the top five teams in the big 10 already would be a nice start along with being 3-0 in conference play overall.

Michigan State's really getting some early separation here (note: I realize I say so at my own peril, but I'm not sold on Wisconsin yet), especially by dropping Ohio State to 1-2 and Purdue's 0-2 start, and Illinois missing a chance to really get into the thick of the race early on, letting a potential huge 2-0 start on the road slip away at Michigan.

The next two Big Ten games aren't gimmes for Sparty, with Penn State making a statement beating Purdue (granted, without Hummel), not to mention MSU lost there last year. And while they should certainly beat Illinois at Breslin, we're proving to not be an easy out for anyone this year, it looks like.

They shouldn't be worse than 8-2 before back-to-back road games at Michigan and Purdue in mid-February, though.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

I'm not sure how great the Big Ten is as far as March competitiveness, but they're very very deep. Whoever wins it is probably going to have at least 3/4 losses, but talk about Purdue digging a hole. I'm a fan and all but since the Duke game I thought they were overrated, I'd put them between 15-20, and w/o Hummel and Kramer they're just mediocre.

They HAVE to beat Wisconsin on Sunday.

With two home games sandwiched around a trip to Northwestern, Purdue badly needs to take these next three before a brutal stretch from Jan. 22 to Feb. 8: @Minnesota, @Wisconsin, v. Michigan, @OSU, @Illinois.

Especially if Hummel's ouchy for any extended period of time, they could be looking at potentially being 5-5 or even 4-6 at the end of that stretch.

With that brutal stretch ahead, an 0-2 start when they should be 2-0 and Michigan State's hot start, it might not be rash to declare Purdue out of the Big Ten race already.

NBA Superstar

So much for 7 bids.

Michigan is coming back down to earth my friends. lol OSU is a crapshoot right now.

I say 5. 6 if we're lucky.

NBA rookie of the year IlliniFan's Avatar

Purdue
    Illinois
    Michigan St.
    Minnesota
    Wisconsin
    Michigan
    Ohio St.

I think 6 of these teams get in for sure. 7 if we're lucky. Michigan and OSU both have some good wins. Just need to win their home games and steal one or two on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by i seen hippos
    So much for 7 bids.

Michigan is coming back down to earth my friends. lol OSU is a crapshoot right now.

I say 5. 6 if we're lucky.
    Michigan's wins over Duke and UCLA still loom large. That gave them a big cushion coming into Big Ten play, and they've already added another quality win beating Illinois.

As strong as the conference rates so far- clearly ahead of everyone but the Big East and ACC- a 9-9 conference record could get them in. And I think 9-9 is about where they're headed.

That would put them squarely on the bubble, but the point is I certainly wouldn't rule out seven Big Ten bids at this point, especially considering that's exactly what Lunardi projected earlier this week. Even if you want to feel pessimistic about Michigan's chances, what about Penn State? They're still very much in the mix.

You can obviously forget about Iowa, Northwestern and Indiana. Other than that, the rest of the Big Ten is still very realistic for the NCAA tourney. I think seven is by no means out of the question.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame414
    Michigan's wins over Duke and UCLA still loom large. That gave them a big cushion coming into Big Ten play, and they've already added another quality win beating Illinois.

As strong as the conference rates so far- clearly ahead of everyone but the Big East and ACC- a 9-9 conference record could get them in. And I think 9-9 is about where they're headed.

That would put them squarely on the bubble, but the point is I certainly wouldn't rule out seven Big Ten bids at this point, especially considering that's exactly what Lunardi projected earlier this week. Even if you want to feel pessimistic about Michigan's chances, what about Penn State? They're still very much in the mix.

You can obviously forget about Iowa, Northwestern and Indiana. Other than that, the rest of the Big Ten is still very realistic for the NCAA tourney. I think seven is by no means out of the question.
    Michigan has big wins, but looking at their schedule and watching them last night, who says they end up with more than 18-19 wins heading into the Big 10 tournament? It could get dangerous for them. BUT, even if that was the case, a win against UConn or MSU wouldn't make this a pointless discussion.

OSU is in better shape schedule wise. They should finish something like 21-8 heading into the Big 10 tournament. With the RPI and all, a 22-9 or 23-9 record will be enough for the selection comittee.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame414
    I think you have to at least throw Northwestern in there now. Still a long shot, but a shot nonetheless. They have beaten 2 good ranked teams in a row in Minnesota and Michigan State. This conference is SO deep this year, and its alot of fun to watch!

Who are your Big Ten POTY candidates right now?

Some of mine:

Manny Harris (Mich) - PPG: 18.1, RPG: 7.4, APG: 4.6
    JaJuan Johnson (Pur) - PPG: 12.8, RPG: 5.8, BPG: 2.5
    Robbie Hummel (Pur) - PPG: 13.2, RPG: 7.9
    Kalin Lucas (MSU) - PPG: 14.1, APG: 5.2
    DeShawn Sims (Mich) - PPG: 15.8, RPG: 8.1, Shooting 51% from floor
    Talor Battle (PSU) - PPG: 18.4, RPG: 5.6, APG: 5.4

Those are just a few. I understand Johnson is a bit of a stretch, but he has been a beast lately, and has been carrying the Boilers on his back. Lucas just completely controls a game most of the time. Who else do you think should be up there?

Just heard some rumors going around that Robbie Hummel got a 2nd opinion on his back, and the hairline fracture has gotten worse, which the previous doctors said wouldn't happen. They are saying he is done for the season. I don't have any links yet, but if anyone has any inside info, post it!

NBA Superstar

Like I said before, MSU couldn't give away the Big 10 title if they tried.