Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Fantasy Basketball Forum

Fantasy Basketball Forum Fantasy basketball message board - fantasy basketball forum

Old 06-16-2008, 04:19 AM   #1
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Default How do you deal with horrible offers?

I'm in a keeper league going into it's 5th season, I joined last year so this is my first off-season in it. I'm not sure if it's just me being the "new guy" so they're gauging my smarts or whatever, which I can understand, or if stuff like this really goes down.

My most recent offer, yesterday, was;

I get:
Jamario Moon
Kendrick Perkins

I give:
Emeka Okafor

Now, I made a post on our board about depth being a concern for me, but c'mon. I doubt Moon's a starter next season, and even with any potential development from Perkins, what are you going to expect from him with the Boston line-up? 'Meka gives me blocks and boards, with upside depending where he ends up next season. These two combined probably wouldn't give me Okafor's lines, other than some additional steals, while taking up an additional roster spot.

So how do you guys handle stuff like this, would you even bother with a counter, or just cut off the talks there? I told him replace Moon with Stuckey and a pick and I'd think about it.

Also, when you're looking like a middle of the pack team, in a keeper league, what do you do, do you go all out and make a push for the current year, or wait it out? Usually I'd be for making the push, but this league's been going on for awhile, unlike the majority of keepers. So what's your say.

PS: This league'll be looking for maybe 3/4 REAL managers, if there's interest. PM me if ya want and I can send you the link and you can check out our board, teams, previous drafts, all that.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
benJAMin
Slap 'em with silence

Default Re: How do you deal with horrible offers?

Send back an offer that favors you heavily. He'll get the idea. Include a mocking message if you'd like.

You're probably right that he's trying to feel you out as a new owner, see if you'll take silly trades etc. Unfortunately it comes with the territory, as most owners in leagues where no one knows each other seem to live by the motto, "It never hurts to try."
benJAMin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Yeah I feel yah, I get stupid offers all the time
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:19 PM   #4
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

Yeah, typically when I get a bad offer, rather than just laugh it off I look at a player or multiple players on their team that i'm interested in and offer a counter thats more favored on my side just to see if they'll bite. This either results in the person cancelling the trade altogether or else eventually working out a bargain.
haterofhaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:31 PM   #5
otmtheshank
Good High School Starter

I just send a regular trade offer back...if he's persistent with his terrible trade offers, and despite your warnings to stop sending dumb offers or you'll halt trade with him...he still continues to do so, then just reject his offers and tell him that you're cutting off trading ties between the two of you.
otmtheshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:13 AM   #6
Phenith
NBA Junkie!

You really have to consider the point of view... who is starting over Moon in TO right now? Delfino? an aging Parker(if they had someone else to start at SG)? I mean, Moon put up some decent fantasy numbers as a rookie(even though he was 27). Even the best case scenarios in the draft don't give TO a better option at SF(yet anyway) and the team doesn't have money to lure in a big name so a S&T for a higher profile wingman is the only way he is going to get less minutes. There is no reason he can't at least duplicate his fantasy season he had last year which was(correct me if i'm wrong) somewhere in the top 50 or 60 overall(had a very efficient line)... he is a solid keeper in almost any format.
How anyone looks at Perkins can't be too different from the next guy. Perkins is still young, and the flashes you do see are so rare that anyone would have to doubt his ability to product much more than he did last year(although cutting down his fouls would go a long way)... he is only a keeper in a DEEP format... like at least 120 players deep which is rare.
You can look at Okafor a couple of ways, is he at his peak? Is his health an issue or not?? Is he ever going to play with a front court guy that will compliment him? Last year was the first year he played all year, and he declined statistically from the year before... he is a double double machine, but he a detriment to TOs(twice as many as assists) and FT%(gotten worse every year)

If you need depth, I don't see this as that bad of a deal for you... but you can also flip it as you said and say that Moon won't be a starter and Okafor will end up in a good situation. Even then, Moon will get his minutes, but will Okafor improve at all? Keeper leagues are a lot tougher to gauge players value in because you aren't just thinking about what you can get out of him RIGHT NOW.

If it's depth you need, don't insult him because you don't value Moons fantasy line(that and you need to get along with managers in keeper leagues because it could come back to bite you in the ass down the line)... find another guy in Moons rating area(50-60ish yahoo ranked) and sub him in if you like him better. Or just rework the deal totally... if it's me, I try to deal Okafor just because I personally don't think he is going to be much more than you see now(even in a good situation). He is probably just trying to see how you value Oakafor... if you suggested Stucky and a pick then he has his answer.
Phenith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:20 PM   #7
D.Z.W.
High school junior varsity star

Just simply press the decline button - doesn't take any work at all :)

But there are two good reasons this happens: one is, like somebody mentioned, its often to do with 'getting a feel for the other owner.'

Secondly, players you own and drafted high you tend to overvalue them, its just human nature to believe that to you, the players you are giving up are worth more than what other managers think. I think subconsciously many often just feel that 'the opposing guy just doesn't realize the value of my player X or player Y' - and thus the lopsided trade offers, even if it was not intended to be a mockery.
D.Z.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:42 PM   #8
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

I usually just let the offer sit there and give them hope that I might actually accept it.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:18 AM   #9
conley85
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Whenever a really bad offer comes along just tell the guy no, quickly so the guy doesnt think u were actually close to excepting it....lol
conley85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:41 AM   #10
Daniel7123
Can barely lace up my sneakers

ignore them
Daniel7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:00 AM   #11
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

Quote:
Originally Posted by benJAMin
Send back an offer that favors you heavily. He'll get the idea. Include a mocking message if you'd like.
I tried that once, but without the mocking message and got a incomprehensible reply back. I think I got called a retard.
El Kabong is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: