Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #46
kentatm
NBA Legend

Default Re: How many people on ISH lost a friend/family member at the WTC on 9/11?

Seth MacFarlane survived b/c he drank too much the night before.

He was supposed to be on one of the planes that hit the towers but he says that he was so hung over he skipped the flight.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:00 PM   #47
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Default Re: How many people on ISH lost a friend/family member at the WTC on 9/11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
How is it possible for someone not to know about the World Trade Centers? So the day the planes crashed into them that was the same day you had your heads removed from your ass? I didnt know anyone who worked at the WTC. But a close friends aunt died when the planes hit.

Never went to NYC. Don't remember seeing pictures of NYC. Didn't make it far enough in history class to learn about the WTC.

I'm also from Texas. Not Philly.

But now that I think about it...I really should've known about the towers. Maybe I did see the pictures of the towers but didnt know they were called the "WTC Towers."

I was 12 btw.

Edited for clarification

Last edited by Hawker : 08-19-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:07 PM   #48
tontoz
NBA sixth man of the year

My aunt was in the Pentagon when it was hit. She was ok though and started trying to help everyone else and forgot to call her family to let everyone know she was fine. Needless to say her kids, sisters and mom were freaking out.
tontoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:25 PM   #49
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

It's still fresh in my mind after all these years. I can recite the moment I found out what was happening and the hours after with a surgeon's precision. It's something that is permanently embedded into my psyche. It's very difficult to think about as well.

I was a sophomore in high school. It was U.S. History [i think] and I had got a hall pass to go to the library for some reason, I can't remember why. All students had to sign in on the log sheet with the reason they were visiting, however when I went to sign I realized the library was vacant, which was very odd since tons of students used to get passes to there for certain "study" periods. Now that I think about it, it was kind of eerie when I looked around and saw no one, yet heard the faint sounds of a television. It's not something you're used to, expecting to enter into a room filled with people [not a very silent library], and hearing a distant TV. It was like something out of a movie.

I turned the corner and saw two women watching the television. I'm standing there wondering what the big hooplah was all about and they played the replay of the first plane colliding with a tower, the woman on the left started weeping and I saw her knees start to buckle so I ran over and held her by the back and eased her into a nearby chair. She pleaded to the other woman for her phone. Her son worked in one of the buildings, and wanted to call him.

I found out later that he wasn't killed, thank God.

Anyways, to make this story short: I went back to class, sat in my seat, and as the teacher was in the middle of a sentence, I blurted out, "a plane just crashed into the twin towers in New York."

He stopped talking, looked at me for about 5 seconds, dead in my eyes, and returned to his thought and finished his sentence without missing a beat. I waited about 15 seconds and said, "did anyone just hear me?", no one responded.

About 5 minutes later, the assistant principle entered the room and whispered into the teacher's ear and left. The school was being dismissed early, everyone was instructed to immediately go home.

And you know what? I'm pretty sure most of us did. I got home to see my brother sitting on the couch with his eyes glued to the news and we watched for the next 10 hours I think.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:05 PM   #50
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

This Summer, I went to NYC for the first time ever. I thought about visiting the WTC site, but just didn't have the stomach to do it. I can't imagine being somewhere where so much pain, destruction, and violence occured.

On that day in 2001, I was 19 years old and it was my first day of training for a grocery store I had applied to. I was upstairs watching a video, but I heard people talk about what had happened, so we switched over. At that point, I didn't give a damn about some stupid training video.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:09 PM   #51
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
How is it possible for someone not to know about the World Trade Centers? So the day the planes crashed into them that was the same day you had your heads removed from your ass? I didnt know anyone who worked at the WTC. But a close friends aunt died when the planes hit.
I didn't know what they were. It was like a month before I turned 12.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:16 AM   #52
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

I didn't know anyone in the wtcs but I lived 20 mins from where the plane in pa went down. The planes path was actually directly over the school I was in when I heard the news.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:42 AM   #53
Coach A
Coach America

God Bless America!
Coach A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:44 AM   #54
Coach A
Coach America

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
Yeah I still recall where I was when I heard.

It took me about 3 hours to realize that one of my really good friends I grew up with from gradeschool on was dead. He had just graduated from Princeton, bought himself a beamer (always a goal of his) and started working for a trading firm based in the tower. He was on the 96th floor of the north tower. Still cant type this today without getting teary eyed.

Damn that is sad. I can almost feel your pain. I mean, how would it feel if a person you have known all your life was dead? You will never see him again. You shared your entire childhood with him, and now he's gone forever. Never will see his smiling face, never share another laugh, never have fun with him again. He's gone forever.

Sad to imagine.
Coach A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:59 AM   #55
IlliniFan
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
That's not too far fetched. I believe Hawker is a couple years younger than me so when this happened he was probably in 7th or 8th grade. Not many children outside of NY knew what the Twin Towers were or that they existed. As I mentioned in my post, I was a freshman in high school and didn't know what the Twin Towers were.
I was in 7th grade in another country and I knew what the twin towers were. Thought it was common knowledge..
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:02 AM   #56
PowerGlove
By Any Means

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan
I was in 7th grade in another country and I knew what the twin towers were. Thought it was common knowledge..
Nope, a lot the kids I went to school with then didn't of them before 9/11. Well, it might be, but at that time I was going to school in a small ass town of 5,000 or so.
PowerGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:22 AM   #57
plowking
Verticle?

Kinda consider myself lucky that day. I was in Los Angeles on a holiday with my family, and that was the day of our flight to New York... I can't remember the exact time we were supposed to fly, though it was around midday ish...

In the end I think the airport were locked down for like 3 days and we just ended up flying the day it reopened...

It was weird, because that was one of the attractions along with the Empire State Building and S.O.L. I really wanted to visit.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:42 AM   #58
sunsfan1357
Word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan
I won't lie, it is pretty naive of me to not know what they were at that point. I grew up in a smallish town with no cable tv and no computer until 8th grade. I don't remember them being covered in any sort of history class either.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:01 AM   #59
darius15
Dunking on everybody in the park

Well, I lived in Northern New Jersey so my parents knew about 10-15 people who died that day. They were really close to 2 of those people, I remember eating dinner at those people's houses as a kid, so yeah I knew people who died that day. It was a lot harder on my parents though.
darius15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:28 AM   #60
SevereUpInHere
Utryin2getthepipe?

Didn't know anyone who died.

I was in uni at the time so I was working at a supermarket and I finished about 11pm I got home from work, brushed teeth, and turned on tv to fall asleep, every channel was showing the 1st tower smoking. I went and woke my parents up and told them a plane flew into one of the twin towers.They basically, said oh that's terrible, and went back to sleep, then I saw the second one fly into the other tower. I went back in and said u better get up, it happened again, I dont think I slept that night. Watched the coverage all night. Like someone else said, I remember it like it was yesterday.
SevereUpInHere is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: