Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 05-04-2007, 03:38 AM   #1
Cool
College superstar

Default Mitch Kupchak & Phil Jackson Will Be Addressing The Media Tomorrow Around Noon!!!

Quote:
Mitch Kupchak and Phil Jackson will be addressing the media tommorrow around noon. They'll hopefully give some insights into the teams plans this offseason, but I'm curious to hear what you guys are thinking.

A lot of the guys today said that this was a really young team and given time to develop, the Lakers could be a lot better. The big question is, how much better? Let's say everyone stayed healthy, Bynum and Farmar had more room to develop at a slower pace and Smuch Parker didn't implode, how much better do you think the Lakers could've been? A 3 seed, 4, 5?

That's the question Mitch and the braintrust will need to answer this summer.

Kobe is under contract through 2011, but can opt out after 2009. Phil's got one more year at $10 million a season. He's stated that the organization needs to decide if its worth it to pay him that much to coach what's been a rebuilding project the last few years. He's also got to decide if he's got the energy to coach beyond next season.

So basically, the options break into three categories:
1. Big and Bold: Tear it all up and start anew. Trade Bynum and/or Lamar --the Lakers best tradng chips -- for a big, impact name like KG, Jason Kidd, Jermaine O'Neal or Pau Gasol. Or, dump salary, do a sign-and-trade and sign a premier free agent like Gerald Wallace or Mo Williams.

2. Medium Risk: Make a medium impact trade (salary-cap liabilities/casualties like Marcus Camby or Mike Bibby) or sign a medium-impact free agent like Steve Blake.

3. Hold Em: Re-sign Luke Walton, bring in a decent veteran via the midlevel exception, hope everyone stays healthy and push the restart button on the 2006-07 season to see if it comes out differently.

There are two wild-cards here.

1. There's been some buzz, hard to say if its just speculation, that Jerry West could be brought back as a consultant. Jerry West would never put a power play on Mitch Kupchak, his protege, so don't even think about going down that road. But West would still be an intriguing wild card in a consultant role.

2. Kwame Brown is going into his contract year. If ever there was a year for him to suddenly find his game every night, this is it. He said as much on Thursday in his exit interview. Needless to say, if Kwame's healthy and motivated, it's almost like bringing in a new player.

Anyway, I'm curious what you guys think. Feel free to vent."]Mitch Kupchak and Phil Jackson will be addressing the media tommorrow around noon. They'll hopefully give some insights into the teams plans this offseason, but I'm curious to hear what you guys are thinking.

A lot of the guys today said that this was a really young team and given time to develop, the Lakers could be a lot better. The big question is, how much better? Let's say everyone stayed healthy, Bynum and Farmar had more room to develop at a slower pace and Smuch Parker didn't implode, how much better do you think the Lakers could've been? A 3 seed, 4, 5?

That's the question Mitch and the braintrust will need to answer this summer.

Kobe is under contract through 2011, but can opt out after 2009. Phil's got one more year at $10 million a season. He's stated that the organization needs to decide if its worth it to pay him that much to coach what's been a rebuilding project the last few years. He's also got to decide if he's got the energy to coach beyond next season.

So basically, the options break into three categories:
1. Big and Bold: Tear it all up and start anew. Trade Bynum and/or Lamar --the Lakers best tradng chips -- for a big, impact name like KG, Jason Kidd, Jermaine O'Neal or Pau Gasol. Or, dump salary, do a sign-and-trade and sign a premier free agent like Gerald Wallace or Mo Williams.

2. Medium Risk: Make a medium impact trade (salary-cap liabilities/casualties like Marcus Camby or Mike Bibby) or sign a medium-impact free agent like Steve Blake.

3. Hold Em: Re-sign Luke Walton, bring in a decent veteran via the midlevel exception, hope everyone stays healthy and push the restart button on the 2006-07 season to see if it comes out differently.

There are two wild-cards here.

1. There's been some buzz, hard to say if its just speculation, that Jerry West could be brought back as a consultant. Jerry West would never put a power play on Mitch Kupchak, his protege, so don't even think about going down that road. But West would still be an intriguing wild card in a consultant role.

2. Kwame Brown is going into his contract year. If ever there was a year for him to suddenly find his game every night, this is it. He said as much on Thursday in his exit interview. Needless to say, if Kwame's healthy and motivated, it's almost like bringing in a new player.

Anyway, I'm curious what you guys think. Feel free to vent.

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/
Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:41 AM   #2
Cool
College superstar

Default Re: Mitch Kupchak & Phil Jackson Will Be Addressing The Media Tomorrow Around Noon!!!

Please someone watch this press conference and give us a recap, because I have school tomorrow and wont be able to catch it and also for others who cant get a chance to watch it. Thank you.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:47 AM   #3
shadow
Laker fan here

Default Re: Mitch Kupchak & Phil Jackson Will Be Addressing The Media Tomorrow Around Noon!!!

Personally to me it doesn't matter what they say. IMO it'll probably be regarding PJs extension. Anything else, about trades etc they likely won't say much, and if they do it is inconsequential till we actually pull the trade off :\
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
Cool
College superstar

So did anyone hear the press conference? And can give us a recap?
Old 05-04-2007, 07:51 PM   #5
HollaBolla
Banned

This conference is more of appeasing and lying to the season tkt holders so they wont cancel their tkts.
HollaBolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:12 AM   #6
gts
shhhhhhh

Link to Phil Jackson's Mitch Kupchaks and Kobes Press conferences today

http://www.570klac.com/cc-common/pod...ast=LAKERS.xml
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:15 AM   #7
Cool
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
Link to Phil Jackson's Mitch Kupchaks and Kobes Press conferences today

http://www.570klac.com/cc-common/pod...ast=LAKERS.xml

Thanks a lot man, I will listen to them tonight.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:20 AM   #8
gts
shhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool
Thanks a lot man, I will listen to them tonight.
good deal. let me know what they say, i blew out my speakers cranking up the led zeppelin the other night while everyone was out shopping... now everyone sounds like they are in a fish tank...
Old 05-05-2007, 03:32 AM   #9
Cool
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
good deal. let me know what they say, i blew out my speakers cranking up the led zeppelin the other night while everyone was out shopping... now everyone sounds like they are in a fish tank...

Well here is a short summary of what the 3 guys said, I didnt watch every single second of every press conference but I watched the interesting parts.

Kobe Bryant - He is frustrated and wants to see changes and he wants to see them now. He is tired of waiting to be at that championship level, its up to management to change that. So they can take it to the next level.

Phil Jackson - We had a bad 2nd half of season and playoffs. We didnt play the way we wanted to. We could have done better but hopefully we can pick it up and play better next year. We just need to have more continuity and togetherness.

Mitch Kupchak - Well we will explore all our options. We have no deadline when things will get done. But we would like and everybody likes to get things done as quickly as possible. So hopefully we can take care of buisness quick. But if not, dont worry we can do a lot of things and we would have till fall to do stuff.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:38 AM   #10
gts
shhhhhhh

adressing mitch's comment about the timeline..i wonder how much the team USA figures into this stuff, i would imagine there's some hesitation to make a big move or any move until GM's see the players come out of the tounament healthy?
Old 05-05-2007, 03:41 AM   #11
Cool
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
adressing mitch's comment about the timeline..i wonder how much the team USA figures into this stuff, i would imagine there's some hesitation to make a big move or any move until GM's see the players come out of the tounament healthy?

I dont think so, because the tournament doesnt end till the end of August or beginning of September, sometime around there. And I am pretty sure people will be making moves before then. So I honestly dont think that will be a factor, it wasnt last year and I dont see it becoming an issue this year.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:06 AM   #12
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

did anyone hear Mitch say "we are building around Kobe"?

I guess that means Bynum is on the block now.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 04:03 PM   #13
Cool
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
did anyone hear Mitch say "we are building around Kobe"?

I guess that means Bynum is on the block now.

Yes I forgot to add that, he did say that in his press conference. He said he is building around Kobe and we wil do anything in our power to get back to a winning level. So that was good to hear.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:03 PM   #14
LA.MJ&KB#1
Decent college freshman

I'm glad Kobe and Phil are on the same sheet of music. You must wonder what Mitch can or going do this off season. Make the wrong moves can destroy Kobe and Phil time in LA, so please Mitch and Dr. Buss make the right moves.
LA.MJ&KB#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:14 PM   #15
gts
shhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA.MJ&KB#1
I'm glad Kobe and Phil are on the same sheet of music. You must wonder what Mitch can or going do this off season. Make the wrong moves can destroy Kobe and Phil time in LA, so please Mitch and Dr. Buss make the right moves.
oh i'm sure kobe and phil are going to have plenty of input into the off season moves, phil has already expressed his wishes during the conference for a top point gaurd
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: