Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 05-09-2007, 08:16 AM   #1
Devientz
I rule the local playground

Default Keeping the core

Bare with me here, this question is assuming that we don't make any big trades during the offseason, AKA we end up with the same core of Kobe Luke Lamar.

Ok so back in the early parts of the season, up untill Lamars first injury, the team was playing pretty well. We were not on a championship level but we were most definately on the level of a top 4-6 team in the league. We all know what happened after that but lets just forget about that for now...

So let's assume that we don't make any big trades this offseason (AKA I dont trust Mitch) and we end up with the same core of Lamar Luke and Kobe. Let's also assume that they come into the next year healthy and playing with the same chemistry that they did at the start of the last season. What changes this offseason (if any) do you think could put into the category of the elite teams in the league with a chance to win it all?

Sum it up: Assume this team regains its chemistry it had earlier and we have everyone except Kobe Lamar and Luke to make deals with..what moves do you make?

Last edited by Devientz : 05-09-2007 at 09:37 AM.
Devientz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:42 AM   #2
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

Default Re: A What-If~

Quote:
So let's assume that we don't make any big trades this offseason (AKA I dont trust Mitch) and we end up with the same core of Lamar Luke and Kobe

Well nothing big happens....only except there's a countdown of how many more games Kobe plays as a Laker and you can count Phil gone too.

In other words, if that's the core, forget about ever competing for the championship and Kobe knows that. Oh yay, he's gonna be real happy if they keep that core. Oh yeah.

And that record was proven to be fluke. It was a combination of momentum and easy schedule. They even went 13-10 without Odom so it's not like you can say they were for real and just injuries hurt them. No.

It was clear that it wouldn't last all that long.
And you're assuming way too much. If the org. is that clueless (no offense) to ASSUME that they can keep the same roster in place and count on that brilliant chemistry and other teams not figuring it out like they did, then good luck.

You may instead already buy Kobe a present for his new house in Chicago or whereever he"ll go to.

But to answer your question, that core can never win the championship. Never.
Assuming that's the core and they're better than everyone else on the roster which the core is, no. No chance at the championship. None whatsoever.
OneWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:32 AM   #3
Devientz
I rule the local playground

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWay
Well nothing big happens....only except there's a countdown of how many more games Kobe plays as a Laker and you can count Phil gone too.

In other words, if that's the core, forget about ever competing for the championship and Kobe knows that. Oh yay, he's gonna be real happy if they keep that core. Oh yeah.

And that record was proven to be fluke. It was a combination of momentum and easy schedule. They even went 13-10 without Odom so it's not like you can say they were for real and just injuries hurt them. No.

It was clear that it wouldn't last all that long.
And you're assuming way too much. If the org. is that clueless (no offense) to ASSUME that they can keep the same roster in place and count on that brilliant chemistry and other teams not figuring it out like they did, then good luck.

You may instead already buy Kobe a present for his new house in Chicago or whereever he"ll go to.

But to answer your question, that core can never win the championship. Never.
Assuming that's the core and they're better than everyone else on the roster which the core is, no. No chance at the championship. None whatsoever.

I agree that that core could never win with what we have now...but theres other peices that can be worked with. Bynum, Radman, Cook, Kwame, Farmar..MLE.. picks....I mean there ARE moves that can be made without trading Lamar. If you don't think theres anything we can get with those peices that will improve this team in any significant way, just say so.

Edit: And It wasn't exactly the record I was refering too, If you watched the games in the start of the season compared to those at the end of the season the chemistry issue was blatantly obvious. I'm not gonna say that our home schedule had nothing to do with it, but there was a very noticiable difference in the chemistry of the team from the start of the season vs. the end of the season

Last edited by Devientz : 05-09-2007 at 09:42 AM.
Devientz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
trig
Decent college freshman

If
1. Kwame suddenly develops good hands and started catching the basketball and avg 10pts 10rebs 3ast 1.5stls 1.5blks
2. Bynum develops and avg 15pts 8reb 4ast 2blks
3. Farmar learns from the steve nash experience and starts playing solid. nothing spectacular
4. Radman learns to play atleast avg D and starts hitting open shots that kobe, lamar and the improved bynum will give him

in short we may need God to help the lakers hehe
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: