Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Serious playground baller

Default Nene to opt out of Denver Nuggets contract

Nene has until tomorrow to either opt out of his contract or extend with the Nuggets. Indications are that he is unhappy with the Nuggets and he expects to opt out. Will he do it and does it make sense for him? Who will the Nuggets replace him with?

Biased Troll

Default Re: Will NENE Really Opt Out???

Yes he should opt out, I expect that he will.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

I'll really respect him if he does. He's guaranteed 11.6 mill next season. Denver would probably give him a 3-4 year deal with him making 10-12 mill a year I imagine. With the CBA talks he could be looking at a completely different contract. Plus I doubt any other team throws 11.6 mill at him but haven't really checked who has cap space. A team like NJ? In Denver he'd get the ball just as much and it's not like Denver isn't poised to at the very least make the playoffs.

If he really dislikes Denver you'd think he'd either A. Cash in his 11.6 mill this year and than hit the new free agency next year or B. Extend with Denver and just force his way out if he really doesn't want to be here.

His fiance his from Denver too pretty sure. Looking like if he does .. it could just straight up be to win a championship. Witch strikes me as odd because never really seen that fire in him personally. Gotta love a dude who wants to win and doesn't care about the money tho, if that is the case. Could just really dislike Denver\management\Karl

Nene has said last season that he plans on opting out. That is a lot of money, but the free agent market stinks this season and he would be the most coveted big man free agent. Denver takes a big hit without him.

He did apparently:

Nene is set to officially become a free agent.
    The Nuggets starting center will opt out of the final year of his contract worth about $12 million and, as a result, become an unrestricted free agent, a source said Wednesday night. It means Nene can sign with any team without the Nuggets getting a chance to match the offer when free agency begins after the expected NBA lockout, which should begin Friday.
    Nene had until Thursday to make a final decision.
    http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci...#ixzz1Qj2LW5ev

Biased Troll

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    I'll really respect him if he does. He's guaranteed 11.6 mill next season. Denver would probably give him a 3-4 year deal with him making 10-12 mill a year I imagine. With the CBA talks he could be looking at a completely different contract. Plus I doubt any other team throws 11.6 mill at him but haven't really checked who has cap space. A team like NJ? In Denver he'd get the ball just as much and it's not like Denver isn't poised to at the very least make the playoffs.

If he really dislikes Denver you'd think he'd either A. Cash in his 11.6 mill this year and than hit the new free agency next year or B. Extend with Denver and just force his way out if he really doesn't want to be here.

His fiance his from Denver too pretty sure. Looking like if he does .. it could just straight up be to win a championship. Witch strikes me as odd because never really seen that fire in him personally. Gotta love a dude who wants to win and doesn't care about the money tho, if that is the case. Could just really dislike Denver\management\Karl

Dude, the reason he would opt out would simply to get a new guaranteed deal worth a total of 30-40 million rather than start next season with only 11 million guaranteed to him and risk any kind of freak event that could end his career.

You take the money in hand. That's all.

You're reading way too much into it.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FourthTenor

Dude, the reason he would opt out would simply to get a new guaranteed deal worth a total of 30-40 million rather than start next season with only 11 million guaranteed to him and risk any kind of freak event that could end his career.

You take the money in hand. That's all.

You're reading way too much into it.
    True. I was just under the impression that him and Denver can't work anything out. Doubt Denver's offering anything less than 10-11 mill. Pretty sure there was an article aways back saying they were trying to get a 3-4 year at 10-12 mill a year deal done.

When he becomes a UFA next year couldn't the contract be waay different? He could be looking at making 6-7 mill a year, no? If things drastically change. So if he wants the cash he could have just extended with Denver ... wouldn't that ultimately be the smartest choice money wise?. Isn't that why Carmelo forced his way to NY and didn't just hit the FA market like Nene is about too, because you could potentially lose all that cash?.

Maybe I'm missing something

Looks like he opted out tho.

Doesn't the ability to sign contracts end today (Thursday)?

That means if he doesn't get a deal done in the next 24 hours, he is stuck in limbo until the next CBA is completed. Seems like a big gamble... maybe I'm wrong.

Question is who has the money to offer him a good deal? surely he will get less than what he opted out for?

he has to jump off the ship karl and kroenke are running straight into the ground- why would a guy in his prime choose to play for an organization not trying to win

Didn't the Knicks have draft rights to Nene and trade him away?

Wouldn't have been better to have kept him, since they are still looking for a center?

He reportedly will opt out: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=7913

Default Re: Nene to opt out of Denver Nuggets contract

The nuggets gave him an offer, less than what he expected because they don't wanna overpay with the new CBA. Nene decided to opt out trying to force the nugget to step up.

Nene to the Heat

Quote Originally Posted by kurple
    The nuggets gave him an offer, less than what he expected because they don't wanna overpay with the new CBA. Nene decided to opt out trying to force the nugget to step up.
    lol did we had this argument last winter?

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=206316