Default Re: Predict Kobe's FG% this year

43.8%

43%

47%

College superstar

last year Kobe made 9.9 FG per game in 23.0 FGA per game.

Nash could probably find Kobe an easy basket per game.

10.9/23.0= 47.3%

I would say that's feasable.

Banned

48% 25 ppg 5rpg 7apg

Kobe is a selfless gawd.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    48% 25 ppg 5rpg 7apg

Kobe is a selfless gawd.

Kobe has a chance to put up career highs in assist.

How many times have we seen Kobe dish out to a wide open teamate just for that said teamate to brick a WIDE open 3 (hello ron)

not this year.

i actually see him at around 47% or 48%

depends if he decides to shoot less and better shot selections

Where does this notion that Kobe will shoot 40-43% (which is below career average) this year come from? It's really irking me and nobody can state why they think that way other than he shot 43% last year, in a completely different team-situation.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    Kobe has a chance to put up career highs in assist.

How many times have we seen Kobe dish out to a wide open teamate just for that said teamate to brick a WIDE open 3 (hello ron)

not this year.
    Ron or 30% shooting D-Fish, or Luke Scrubton.

Now he will have Jodie Meeks and one of the GOAT shooters NASH to hit his open shots

Banned

46 or 47% PLUS A SH*T TON OF ASSIST. F*CK THA POLICEE

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    People act like FG% is the end all and be all when judging players. In fact I only see it ever brought up to hate on Kobe or Iverson, yet it's always ignored when bigs shoot below standards.
    I call bull. Have you never seen anyone say how poor of a shooter Russell was, and that is the reason he is not the GOAT? If he shot 60% he has a much better GOAT case (brings his point total up to 15516 just off of two point shots FT's not included, and that's 1000 more points than he scored including FT's...).

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Vertical-24
    Where does this notion that Kobe will shoot 40-43% (which is below career average) this year come from? It's really irking me and nobody can state why they think that way other than he shot 43% last year, in a completely different team-situation.
    When Kobe was hot he was given dominion over the team in the past. He shot more and made more. But now he has to incorporate a more dominant player into the offense. So he leaves his instinctive game for a more thinking man's type of game. These things throw off a super scorer's game. Kobe is just one of those guys that I think drives best with his foot heavy on the pedal. As long as he's imposing his will, he is who he is - doing what he wants to do.

I don't care who you are, when you have to leave beast mode, its depressing. Especially when you were winning too and a hair away from having won the scoring title. Throw in the fact that the press is going to say he doesn't have it anymore... its human nature to fight that. And its a guy that plays Shaq's position too that he has to cater to. Even if his attitude is great, he still has to be a real thinker to accomodate DH. And beast mode will have to be every few games rather than a regular expectation.

The Olympic ball seems to mess with players who didn't grow up in the FIBA atmosphere. Not only Kobe (Durant, Ray Allen, Lebron, Wade) all took awhile for them to get it together after their last time doing it. But who knows at what point it doesn't bother them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    When Kobe was hot he was given dominion over the team in the past. He shot more and made more. But now he has to incorporate a more dominant player into the offense. So he leaves his instinctive game for a more thinking man's type of game. These things throw off a super scorer's game. Kobe is just one of those guys that I think drives best with his foot heavy on the pedal. As long as he's imposing his will, he is who he is - doing what he wants to do.

I don't care who you are, when you have to leave beast mode, its depressing. Especially when you were winning too and a hair away from having won the scoring title. Throw in the fact that the press is going to say he doesn't have it anymore... its human nature to fight that. And its a guy that plays Shaq's position too that he has to cater to. Even if his attitude is great, he still has to be a real thinker to accomodate DH. And beast mode will have to be every few games rather than a regular expectation.

The Olympic ball seems to mess with players who didn't grow up in the FIBA atmosphere. Not only Kobe (Durant, Ray Allen, Lebron, Wade) all took awhile for them to get it together after their last time doing it. But who knows at what point it doesn't bother them anymore.
    And although much younger and in his prime, he was able to accomadate Shaq (who was better) and still get his. Back then, he was young and had a passion to prove himself. Now, he has nothing to prove and although he is an instinctive scorer...he's proven that he can adjust.

With Steve Nash helping to ease ball-handling, playmaking pressure and hopefully creating many more easy shots for Kobe, we should probably see his fg% inflate a bit from last season. Not to mention the extra attention that Dwight will draw that can help Kobe's spacing for better shot attempts as well.

I fully understand what you're saying though, I just don't believe his fg% will be anywhere near as bad as people are predicting. I believe quite the opposite. Black Mamba will be returning this season. I can almost guarantee it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertical-24
    And although much younger and in his prime, he was able to accomadate Shaq (who was better) and still get his. Back then, he was young and had a passion to prove himself. Now, he has nothing to prove and although he is an instinctive scorer...he's proven that he can adjust.

With Steve Nash helping to ease ball-handling, playmaking pressure and hopefully creating many more easy shots for Kobe, we should probably see his fg% inflate a bit from last season. Not to mention the extra attention that Dwight will draw that can help Kobe's spacing for better shot attempts as well.
    I fully understand what you're saying though, I just don't believe his fg% will be anywhere near as bad as people are predicting. I believe quite the opposite. Black Mamba will be returning this season. I can almost guarantee it.
    thats why i have him at 47% or 48%

maybe even 50%

High School Varsity 6th Man NLZ's Avatar

Duncan 50% career and he's best PF ever?

FG %

You guys are hilarious with your FG % comments, seriously it doesn't matter.
    There's like 15 active players with higher career FG % than Duncan yet it doesn't mean a single thing. James Harden shot higher % last season than Kobe ever did, doesn't mean anything. Deron Williams shot what, 35% last 2 seasons combined with the Nets? Apparently he's useless..