Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #1411
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Default Re: A Game of Thrones

I was going to either start reading A Wheel of Time or The Dark Tower series soon. Any recommendations as to which I should read?

I heard The Dark Tower might have an HBO adaptation soon...with Javier Bardem (No Country for Old Men) as the lead...
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #1412
Smoke117
The King Returns...

I've read the books through four. This first episode of season 2 was boring.
Smoke117 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #1413
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Decided to see what GRRM was saying about The Winds of Winter and found this. (If you haven't finished A Dance With Dragons you shouldn't read)

In White:

The previous installment, A Dance with Dragons covered less story than Martin intended, omitting at least one planned large battle sequence and leaving several character threads ending in cliff-hangers.[1] Martin intended to resolve these cliffhangers "very early" in The Winds of Winter, saying "I'm going to open with the two big battles that I was building up to, the battle in the ice and the battle at Mereen—the battle of Slaver's Bay. And then take it from there."[2]
Martin confirmed in March 2012 that the final two novels will take readers farther north than any of the previous books: "What lies really north [The Land of Always Winter], we haven't explored that yet, but we will in the last two books."[2] The sample chapter on Martin's website is written from Theon Greyjoy's viewpoint and shows his interactions with Stannis Baratheon as they are camped in the snow on his march to Winterfell.[3][4] Martin did not want to comment on Jon Snow's cliffhanger fate after A Dance with Dragons, but said that "you're definitely going to see more of the Others in The Winds of Winter".[2]
At 2011 WorldCon, Martin read an Arianne chapter, during which she heads for Griffin's Roost to see the young boy who is calling himself Aegon.[citation needed] Victarion's chapter will take off five minutes after A Dance with Dragons, taking place on the eve of the Iron Islanders' surprise attack on the cities in Slaver's Bay.[5]

Looks like it's going to be the most action packed book yet. We'll find out in probably 3 years if were lucky
Old 04-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #1414
dunksby
NBA Legend

^^^ After reading ADWD, I lost all excitement and anticipation for the next book, which is a good thing.
dunksby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #1415
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunksby
^^^ After reading ADWD, I lost all excitement and anticipation for the next book, which is a good thing.

Especially since shit looks like its about to go down...
Old 04-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #1416
TOUCH MY BODY
Dunking on everybody in the park

The midget is the best
TOUCH MY BODY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #1417
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Going back to my post about GRRM's plans for The Winds of Winter...I did some searching around the internet for what could possibly happen andI found that people believe sample chapter that was released from TWoW and the end of ADWD could have a big role. (white text)

In order to predict what may happen in the Battle between Stannis and the Boltons the "pink letter" sent by Ramsay to Jon Snow must be looked at.

In the letter he tells Jon that Stannis is dead and that he has his sword.He also says he knows about Mance and he wants his bride back.

It is believed by most that this information is not true, and that Ramsay is bluffing.

What may be the case though, is that the information is not true, but Ramsay believes it to be true.

In the sample chapter Stannis specifically questions the Maester where the Ravens go (Winterfell). He keeps the Maester alive and murders the Karstark lords who commanded the Maester send information with those ravens back to the Boltons. An important decision Stannis made was to keep the Karstark bannermen alive.

What I'm getting at is that Ramsay doesn't know that the Karstarks were found out and Stannis has the ravens.

Stannis could have forced the Maester to send a letter to Ramsay telling him that the Frey/Manderly attack along with the Karstakrs was successful, and they killed Stannis and took his sword.

In reality Stannis would be alive and command the Manderly and Karstark armys to return to Winterfell, because Ramsay believes they are on his side, to deliver the sword. Once inside they would begin the attack from inside Winterfell, and Stannis would march on Winterfell with his army and take it back for the North.

To me it seems to make alot of sense.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:40 AM   #1418
rezznor
Nosetradamus

^^hope that is true. i despise the boltons.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #1419
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Who is fighting who? Damn this is going to be choatic.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #1420
Scoooter
NBA sixth man of the year

That one dude was fingering his sister. I liked it.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #1421
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Dude was about to go all the way in on his sister too......

edit

I see thats been covered
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #1422
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Why did the Queen lie to the Imp and say Joffrey ordered the babies to be killed? I thought that was her order? I remember the Imp questioned that guy who did it and asked "Who ordered you to kill Ned Starks men" and he said Joffrey. But I remember that was the queen who ordered that if I'm not mistaken.

Also what does their father think? i'm sure word got back to him. i'd like to hear his thoughts on the rumors.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #1423
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

I read a bio on him that said hes clearly smart enough to figure it out but kinds chooses not to accept it. I suspect they will show him discussing it in passing with all his lackeys sitting quietly like "....you said it....my lord...I didnt say shit..my lord....". I doubt he will just say he believes it though.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:02 PM   #1424
dunksby
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Why did the Queen lie to the Imp and say Joffrey ordered the babies to be killed? I thought that was her order? I remember the Imp questioned that guy who did it and asked "Who ordered you to kill Ned Starks men" and he said Joffrey. But I remember that was the queen who ordered that if I'm not mistaken.

Also what does their father think? i'm sure word got back to him. i'd like to hear his thoughts on the rumors.
In that scene Joffrey is seen and heard shouting "Kill them, kill them all". The order behind killing the bastards is probably Joffrey's although not provable.
dunksby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #1425
longtime lurker
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB

I think Joffrey implied it in the first episode about Robert's bastards lying around. And their father pretty much just accepts the rumours, despite almost everyone knowing that they're pretty much true. So far season 2 has gone in a different direction from the books, maybe it has to do with the pacing of book 2 being pretty slow until towards the end. Wonder what people who haven't read the book think of season 2 so far?
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: