Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Default Re: The hypocrisy of hockey

Quote Originally Posted by Styles p
    BECAUSE FIGHTING IS NOT PART OF OTHER GAMES what do you not understand? it's expected in hockey.
    This.

also as expressed many times is that it is in olace to protect skilled players. Penaling fighting in other sports protects players. Penalizing in hockey will not stop players from making runs on skill players.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    I like the fighting in hockey. I would not like it to change.

My thing is:

Hockey player fights=it's a part of the game; it's how it's always been
    Football player fight=he's a thug/goon/poor role model

Which is crazy because the whole game is a shoving match.

Sherman talked trash after a game and he is a thug but hockey players stage a fight and it's shrugged off -- it seems like a double standard to me.
    Uhh because there different sports? If fighting had been legal or had happened consistently since the start of the NFL and across all levels than people wouldn't call it classless.

I remember playing hockey as like a 8 year old and hitting eachother in the face with gloves/helmets on in the dressing rooms. When you played with adults people would always jokingly try to drop the mitts. Have you ever heard the term jersey'd? That stems from hockey.

There's alot of people that want it out of the game. They are struggling too because it's such apart of hockey culture. Fighting isn't apart of the NFL or NBA. Infact the NFL has been trying to make the game less physical by protecting the QB's and WR's and simply changed the rules. People who want fighting gone can't do that.

Not trying to be a dick but can't understand why you can't see this.

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    Uhh because there different sports? If fighting had been legal or had happened consistently since the start of the NFL and across all levels than people wouldn't call it classless.

I remember playing hockey as like a 8 year old and hitting eachother in the face with gloves/helmets on in the dressing rooms. When you played with adults people would always jokingly try to drop the mitts. Have you ever heard the term jersey'd? That stems from hockey.

There's alot of people that want it out of the game. They are struggling too because it's such apart of hockey culture. Fighting isn't apart of the NFL or NBA. Infact the NFL has been trying to make the game less physical by protecting the QB's and WR's and simply changed the rules. People who want fighting gone can't do that.

Not trying to be harsh as well but can't seeing it and not willing to are 2 different things.

But you are absolutely right

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

because white men fighting on skates is a better optic than black men brawling in shorts, tats, and headbands, the latter is too reminiscent of real life while the former has a surrealistic comedic element

this is about as REAL a response as u gonna get Go Getter

I don't understand why it is EXPECTED in hockey.

I don't understand why hockey players are allowed to regulate themselves and the NHL doesn't do it.

I don't understand why hockey fights are seen as an act of toughness but in other sports it is seen as an act of classlessness.

*The only sports that fighting should be a part of is boxing, wrestling, martial arts, and MMA.
    Hockey use to be a shit show from the get go. Physical play and intimidation play a huge factor even today. Look at the Bruins vs Canucks. That's an aspect to hockey like blitzing is in the NFL. Nobody ever touched Gretzky because the Oilers would surround him with people who would protect him. It's a strategic element to the game. Play physical with the star. Not so much today but still happens among other things.

Hockey is a physical sport that has allowed fighting for a very long time. Just seems you don't like it? NFL, NBA haven't allowed fighting. Therefore when Andre Johnson fights people don't like it. Evander Kane can fight because it's allowed and apart of a tradition that spans longer than you or I.

Because it's very hard to throw a perfect punch while wearing skates. And it's part of their Hockey cultures.

Quote Originally Posted by STATUTORY
    because white men fighting on skates is a better optic than black men brawling in shorts, tats, and headbands, the latter is too reminiscent of real life while the former has a surrealistic comedic element

this is about as REAL a response as u gonna get Go Getter
    What about Brasher? Evander Kane had a nice scrap a few nights ago. Look at basketball fights, they look more like women fighting than anything sans the Pistons Brawl and some punches thrown back in the 70's and 80's. NHL fights are waaaay more brutal, NBA scuffles just involve alot of people crowding together and somebody throwing a punch and backing up.

People don't care about the NHL fights because it happened last night, will happen the next night and happened 15 years ago. People care about fighting in the NBA because it has never been allowed and has no place in the game.

Has NOTHING to do with race.

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan

I understand that it is part of the game but it isn't necessary to progress the game. They are different sports but the same country categorizes the players.

We see hockey players as tough guys, but NBA players as punks....in the NBA players like Blake Griffin get targeted and hit more than the average player but he is supposed to keep his composure or he is called a thug for small skirmishes. But hockey players are lauded...it's hypocritical to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Because it's very hard to throw a perfect punch while wearing skates. And it's part of their Hockey cultures.

It's a part of basketball and football culture to talk trash but if it finds it's way to TV people get their panties all in a bunch.

Very good NBA starter

I understand that it is part of the game but it isn't necessary to progress the game. They are different sports but the same country categorizes the players.

We see hockey players as tough guys, but NBA players as punks....in the NBA players like Blake Griffin get targeted and hit more than the average player but he is supposed to keep his composure or he is called a thug for small skirmishes. But hockey players are lauded...it's hypocritical to me.

What's your question? Why is there fighting in hockey or why do basketball players get labelled as thugs while NHL players don't?

Made that high school varsity squad Solidape's Avatar

In light of tonight's brawl between the Flames & Canucks I wanted to ask the question: why is it that hockey players get away with fighting yet in basketball [and other major sports] small scuffles are treated like major offenses?
    Because when non-colored folks do it, its toughness, competitive, part of the game, needed for the sport, etc etc. When colored folks do it, its ghetto, poor sportsmanship, dangerous colored folks acting up for no reason, thugs, gangsters, etc.

No one can explain why hockey needs fighting. If they ban people from NHL forever for fighting, after the first 5 guys get banned, the rest will get in line and stop fighting. Money > anything when it comes to professional sports.
    Last edited by Solidape; 01-20-2014 at 03:02 AM.

The same country? Hockey is waaay more dominant in Canada than the USA where in some markets it's practically dead. Where as with basketball some areas in Canada could careless about it. So yeah North America but different areas and totally different fans. Not to mention LeBron James is everywhere, probably some people in L.A who don't know who Crosby is.

You said it yourself tho, different sports.

Fighting in a sport where it's allowed and has been always = Nobody caring.
    Fighting in a sport where fighting isn't allowed = get called a thug.

Kinda like breaking the law, thug. Follow the rules of the law, not a thug. Like I said tho that incident last night will have people putting players on the hot seat. For example I've seen somebody call Kevin Bieska who fought last night a "spot picker". Which fans do because you know fighting it apart of hockey.

Seriously? How can't you understand that fighting isn't apart of basketball like hockey. What Blake Griffin is doing is suspendable. People do call players names when they do something similar in hockey. Matt Cooke is considering a piece of shit because he does dirty things that get him suspended. Tie Domi wasn't because he dropped the gloves with other players who also wanted to drop the gloves and did something that has been apart of hockey for ages. Even than Domi got his fairshare of hate from opposing fans, esp the over the glass thing.

Also compare the two. A large group of players, nobody goes toe to toe. You have guys like Melo who sucker people and run. Guys who talk shit and never actually throw a punch and just look like immature kids since you know, it's not legal to fight in basketball. With hockey when somebody lays a dirty hit and a guy steps up and defends his teammate you can feel the momentum sway. Two guys going at it you've seen since you started watching the game, it's like a crossover. It's apart of the game, with basketball seeing Kobe swing his arms at somebody looks stupid because your like this is basketball.

Not trying to be a dick but can't understand why you can't see this
    Yeah your a complete fool. It'd be like me trying to talk about baseball. I don't even know what your trying to get at. You don't even realize how laughable what your saying is, which is crazy. This is up there for people blindly thinking whats coming out of there mouth isn't completely ridiculous. Even the people trying to get rid of fighting in hockey understand what I'm saying.

BTW somebody calling an NBA player a punk is no different than somebody calling a hockey player a goon

I rule the local playground

I don't watch hockey often, but when I do I hope for a fight.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    because no one gives a shit about hockey
    Hockey games have sold out more arenas than Basketball has this season. Fact.

It's a part of basketball and football culture to talk trash but if it finds it's way to TV people get their panties all in a bunch.
    LOL and you don't think they do the same with the NHL? You don't think fans aren't calling Torts or what Hartley did bush league? .. It just appears you have no fcking idea about hockey and came on ISH to be like uhhhh why do people not give hockey players shit for fighting and talking about something you have no idea about.

Look up Sean Avery. Check out Don Cherry. Fighting is simply apart of the game but people still call players goons, give them shit when they do something stupid. John Scott was crucified by some because he's a 6'6 enforced which is rare today because enforcers are deff a dying breed, who tried to fight Phil Kessel. People tore that situation apart because Kessel swung his stick at him, and you know what? He was called a PUNK. People called Scott an idiot too.

People just don't hate on LEGAL hockey plays that are apart of the game, just like people don't hate Kobe for knocking down a 3.

Trash talk isn't in the rulebook you fcking moron.