Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 05-14-2008, 05:20 PM   #1
crounsa810
National High School Star

crounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Need to get my shot back...

I don't know what happened but all of a sudden my shot is completely off. I can't make my jumper, layups, or anything for that matter. My ball handling is horrible, and i don't know what to do. I've been practicing every day but i can't get my shot back. Its really pissing me off. I used to make everything i put up, but in like the past 2 weeks, something happened and now i suck. I'm still great at defending and rebounding, pretty much everything else besides offense. How do i get it back?
I know what i'm doing wrong, i'm using my guide hand too much, and my arm is twisting away, making the ball either be an air ball or smack against the back of the rim and fly back. I keep trying to stop myself from doing it, but it just keeps happening, and no matter what i do i can't fix it. I'm really in a huge slump right now. I really need to get my skills back. I got beat my a punk who knows nothing about basketball. Thats pitiful. Anybody know how i can get back on track?
crounsa810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Fallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Need to get my shot back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crounsa810
I know what i'm doing wrong, i'm using my guide hand too much, and my arm is twisting away, making the ball either be an air ball or smack against the back of the rim and fly back.

well, you know whats wrong and thats more then half the people in the world who dont know why their shot is messed up...

go for perfect shots. 3 foot swish, make ten in a row. Take a step back, and do it again until you get further out. And dont do it to make the ball go in so much as to correct your form while you still can.
Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:33 PM   #3
hito da god
look that way >>>>

hito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected poster

it's a shooting slump

i was in one about a week ago... my jumper was off for a few days, i don't know what to tell you except keep shooting and keep the confidence that you're a good shooter. i did form shooting every day, shot free throws, nothing worked... you just have to shoot yourself out of it. take it to the basket more
hito da god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:12 AM   #4
theparade
I hit open layups

theparade has an OK reputation so far

Shooting slumps is what I call them.

Remember this: You are a good shooter.

Just go back to your original form if it was working, no need for perfect form if you're missing every shot. Just do everything like before. Go back to your basics, shoot inside the key and get comfortable. Shoot some relatively longer shots. This will take some days, but it just depends. It sometimes takes me a few days to get out of these slumps when they happen. Play an easy pickup game or two.

Or maybe your body is telling you that you need some rest.
theparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:48 PM   #5
crounsa810

crounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected poster

Yeah i agree that i might need some rest. Havent had a day without playing basketball in about 2 weeks, and its usually almost 4 hours a day. Now its raining though so i should be able to get some rest.
I'm starting to get out of my slump i think. I made a decent amount of shots last night. I realized i was shooting too soon. Hopefully i don't get into a slump this badly ever again.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:42 PM   #6
theparade
I hit open layups

theparade has an OK reputation so far

Don't worry, I've had this happen once and I quickly broke out of it. (1 week max) And good for you to know that you're making decent shots now, it's all about confidence man. The game is mental.

Just keep on shooting. I remember hearing what Steve Nash says in his 30 minute warmup, "the basket is much larger when close up". That's how I shoot in warm-ups, get your confidence up.
theparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:03 PM   #7
crounsa810

U know its kinda funny. I never got onto my high school team ( because i wasnt confident enough in my abilities to try out), and i have a good amount of flaws in my game, but i have more knowledge of the game than most of the people who actually made the team. Most of them u ask any question about basketball and they have no clue how to answer. Which could be the reason they havent had a winning season in about 4 years. Nothing related to my original post, but i just realized this. Lol.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:06 AM   #8
trig
Decent college freshman

trig has decent reputationtrig has decent reputation

It is usually more of a mental thing. you have to drive to the basket a bit more and try to get to the line
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:02 AM   #9
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

Remix has decent reputation

i know.. when you're in slumps you get really pissed and your like why the f*ck cant I make this shot???

But yeah, don't get pissed it'll make it worse and harder to make shots.
Remix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:49 PM   #10
daballa13
Great young streetballer

daballa13 has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by crounsa810
I don't know what happened but all of a sudden my shot is completely off. I can't make my jumper, layups, or anything for that matter. My ball handling is horrible, and i don't know what to do. I've been practicing every day but i can't get my shot back. Its really pissing me off. I used to make everything i put up, but in like the past 2 weeks, something happened and now i suck. I'm still great at defending and rebounding, pretty much everything else besides offense. How do i get it back?
I know what i'm doing wrong, i'm using my guide hand too much, and my arm is twisting away, making the ball either be an air ball or smack against the back of the rim and fly back. I keep trying to stop myself from doing it, but it just keeps happening, and no matter what i do i can't fix it. I'm really in a huge slump right now. I really need to get my skills back. I got beat my a punk who knows nothing about basketball. Thats pitiful. Anybody know how i can get back on track?
Bro, It happens so much to me, and many people say just keep shooting, but the truth is your shot will come back in time, it's so weird, it's like Shaq's spreading the horrible shooting disease around at times.
daballa13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #11
i cant dunk
Kids at the park dunk on me

i cant dunk has an OK reputation so far

if you like basketball alot you have to at least try out for the team. when i went to high school i went to a school where i didn't know anyone. so i decided to spend my lunch in the gym where some kids were playing. i had a bunch of these punks who think they could play choose the teams and of course i end up with the shrimp nerds on my team. i take the jump ball i win it and i just flourished the floor.

just to mention i am pretty cocky when it comes to basketball. but you have to be confident. i might suggest working on your handling skills and driving more because jump shots can only be made off the pass but if you get some handles and become an offensive threat from the drive there seems to be alot more space for the jumper.
i cant dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:20 PM   #12
the.powerhouse
I hit open layups

the.powerhouse has an OK reputation so far

Sounds like a classic case of over-thinking. As difficult as it sounds just try to empty your mind when u take a shot, be in the moment, and don't take to much notice of your mechanics. Not during the course of a game anyway. Come gametime they should be automatic.

Usually when players start not making plays that they are capable of it is related to attention and focus styles. If u r missing everything I'm betting that you are in your head way too much. Try to pay more attention to other cues within your environment instead.

I know it sounds like advice straight out of Karate Kid. But even Jordan admitted Phil Jackson's Zen books got him hooked. So if it was good enough for MJ it should be worth a try for the rest of us mortals.
the.powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: