Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Magic Johnson

Default Re: dwight hitting jumpers

Why are people acting like Dwight Howard is all of a sudden trying to develop his outside game? He's practiced on this particular aspect of his game before, and he's even shown his range in games.

Quote Originally Posted by MrUnstopable
    Why are there so many Houston fans in this thread?
    Dwight Howard to Houston in 2012

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    Why are people acting like Dwight Howard is all of a sudden trying to develop his outside game? He's practiced on this particular aspect of his game before, and he's even shown his range in games.
    In High School, scouts already said he's got a reliable jumper.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by ElPigto
    I stand corrected on Robinson.

Going back to point though, Dwight is a beast physically. Does he have any real need for a jumper when he is stronger than the majority of his opponents? I'm not saying that Dwight will be better than Shaq by any means but my basis of comparison is that Dwight is a much more powerful guy than mostly every center in this league. Perhaps the only one he has been unable to truly conquer has been Yao, but other than that no one else would have a chance against him.

Timmy is on the downside of his career. Shaq is on his way out. Deke is no longer here. Yao is out for the season and probably will be retiring within a few years. No one has a chance against Dwight in this league. The only real threats seem to be Bynum and Oden; even then they seem to need a few more seasons.
    Good points, the league is wide open for Dwight. If Dwight just refined the moves he has, added a legit countermove and worked on his passing then that'd be enough. I agree that he doesn't need a jumper, but I think that considering how much he faces up a jumper would atleast make the defense think a bit more. I'm not convinced that he could make them on any kind of consistent basis in games though.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by HeyIt'sMe
    Okafor measured nearly 6'9 without shoes out of college, and 6'10 with them on, and Howard is a good two inches taller than him now. Hes' definitely grown and is a legit 6'11.
    Maybe, but the inconsitent league wide heights can be baffling. For Garnett is listed at 6'11 as well. Perhaps KG is a legit 7 footer.

Quote Originally Posted by gyu
    Dwight Howard to Houston in 2012

If the Rockets have the worst record in the 2010 NBA Season.

Rockets have a huge chance to draft 18 yrs.old Derrik Favors (6'9"), and 19 yrs.old (6'10") Greg Monroe next year.

National High School Star MrUnstopable's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Maybe, but the inconsitent league wide heights can be baffling. For Garnett is listed at 6'11 as well. Perhaps KG is a legit 7 footer.

KG is over 7 foot.. everyone knows that he didn't want to be known as a 7 footer...

Good High School Starter

KG is 7'1. He's always hated being considered a 7 footer, for whatever reason.

Decent college freshman

wow I bet most NBA big men can hit those shots in practice ...

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Good points, the league is wide open for Dwight. If Dwight just refined the moves he has, added a legit countermove and worked on his passing then that'd be enough. I agree that he doesn't need a jumper, but I think that considering how much he faces up a jumper would atleast make the defense think a bit more. I'm not convinced that he could make them on any kind of consistent basis in games though.
    I agree with your last statement, I'm not convinced myself.

I also consider that this team is built as an inside/outside team. They don't have a motion offense going therefore it's not as if there is need to create space for cutters or for people to drive the lane. This team is going to be give the ball to Dwight, let him work, lets see what happens. Like you said above, if he develops his passing game, he is going to be a wonderful player to watch for years to come. His countermove would set him aside from every other player in the league.

I guess I'm just in the belief that he has the physical tools to become what Shaq was in this league. Shaq knew how to finish a play. He had the athleticism, the power, the finesse to completely dominate his opponent. I think Dwight can become a similar player without ever needing to operate outside of 10 ft.

Quote Originally Posted by MrUnstopable
    Why are there so many Houston fans in this thread?
    1. Dwight vs. Yao meant that more Rockets fans took notice of Howard
    2. We are one of the few teams with a star center who actually uses a jumper as a main weapon in his arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by brantonli
    1. Dwight vs. Yao meant that more Rockets fans took notice of Howard
    2. We are one of the few teams with a star center who actually uses a jumper as a main weapon in his arsenal.

I wish he'd use the hook shot much more often. It's a thing of beauty.

7-time NBA All-Star

Garnett was measured at 6'11" barefoot in 1995, but has reluctantly admitted to being 6'11 3/4" barefoot, some say he's even taller. Garnett supposedly was always afraid he'd be asked to play center or considered a center if he was listed at 7 feet. He wants to be known for his perimeter skills instead of known as a back to the basket player.

Here you can see that Garnett gets pissed off at Craig Sager for calling him 7 feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRIm4_yvocc

Bill Walton also hated the 7 foot label and requested to be listed at 6'11", but you can see from the Celtics 1986 picture that he's a lot taller than Kevin McHale and atleast Robert Parish's height.

Bill Walton thought 7 feet was a freakish height so he hated being known as being a 7 footer, despite the fact that everyone knew he was one.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by ElPigto
    I agree with your last statement, I'm not convinced myself.

I also consider that this team is built as an inside/outside team. They don't have a motion offense going therefore it's not as if there is need to create space for cutters or for people to drive the lane. This team is going to be give the ball to Dwight, let him work, lets see what happens. Like you said above, if he develops his passing game, he is going to be a wonderful player to watch for years to come. His countermove would set him aside from every other player in the league.

I guess I'm just in the belief that he has the physical tools to become what Shaq was in this league. Shaq knew how to finish a play. He had the athleticism, the power, the finesse to completely dominate his opponent. I think Dwight can become a similar player without ever needing to operate outside of 10 ft.
    I'm not sure Dwight will ever be similar to Shaq. Shaq was a lot bigger and footwork, post moves and passing came more naturally to him. I think Dwight could be a better free throw shooter though. If Dwight even gets his free throws up to 65-70% which is certainly possible then that'll be a huge step for him as a player. People forget that Hakeem Olajuwon wasn't much better than Dwight at foul shooting his first few years and Tim Duncan has had some Dwight-type seasons at the free throw line. Becoming a respectable foul shooter may be even more important than improving his post moves because teams already have to foul him, and in the playoffs he was making them pay until the finals. We saw how good Orlando was vs Cleveland with Dwight shooting free throws at 70%.

Aside from the playoffs Dwight also showed potential to be a decent foul shooter his rookie season when he shot 67%. It's all mental for him.

Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyer23
    wow I bet most NBA big men can hit those shots in practice ...

Ben Wallace was a good 3 points shooter in practice.