Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Default Re: All-Time Writers Draft II

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    Well, although Im leaning towards a top dog type, I am going to pick Marcel Proust as my first rounder.
    Definitely a top dog in my book.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jasi
    Definitely a top dog in my book.
    not compared to the other 3 I was thinking of. or maybe its perspective? you damn euros

not compared to the other 3 I was thinking of. or maybe its perspective? you damn euros
    Eheh surely perspective, but I may surprise you later on, dear american

owwwww

Wrote up something for another guy, erased it because I just couldn't not pick Dickens...

His body of work is substantial and he is widely considered the greatest English novelist. His style of truth mixed with caricature has produced countless memorable characters and stories, and his work is deeply rooted in pop culture (produced so many phrases, films etc).

His greatest work I'd consider to be Great Expectations, Hard Times, David Copperfield and Bleak House. My favorite though? Great Expectations and Pickwick Papers, with Pip being my favorite of his characters though I haven't read Copperfield yet (the size of it is intimidating). He isn't without his critics though, he is widely acclaimed but within literature several have criticized him as a sort of "superficial novelist", which I disagree with (though some of his work does fall under that description). His greatest qualities are his aesthetic writing, his vivid and eccentric characters (who can be quite complex depending on the novel you read - Pip for example) and the dramatic quality of his novels, all three of which are some of his most apparent Shakespearean qualities. One of the writers who exists in spite of time, his work has never gone out of print and probably never will.

Work:

The Old Curiosity Shop
    Oliver Twist
    Nicholas Nickleby
    Barnaby Rudge
    A Christmas Carol
    Martin Chuzzlewit
    A Tale of Two Cities
    David Copperfield
    Great Expectations
    Bleak House
    Little Dorrit
    Hard Times
    Our Mutual Friend
    The Pickwick Papers

From a stylistic point of view, Proust may very well be the greatest writer of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    Wrote up something for another guy, erased it because I just couldn't not pick Dickens...

His body of work is substantial and he is widely considered the greatest English novelist. His style of truth mixed with caricature has produced countless memorable characters and stories, and his work is deeply rooted in pop culture (produced so many phrases, films etc).

His greatest work I'd consider to be Great Expectations, Hard Times, David Copperfield and Bleak House. My favorite though? Great Expectations and Pickwick Papers, with Pip being my favorite of his characters though I haven't read Copperfield yet (the size of it is intimidating). He isn't without his critics though, he is widely acclaimed but within literature several have criticized him as a sort of "superficial novelist", which I disagree with (though some of his work does fall under that description). His greatest qualities are his aesthetic writing, his vivid and eccentric characters (who can be quite complex depending on the novel you read - Pip for example) and the dramatic quality of his novels, all three of which are some of his most apparent Shakespearean qualities. One of the writers who exists in spite of time, his work has never gone out of print and probably never will.

Work:

The Old Curiosity Shop
    Oliver Twist
    Nicholas Nickleby
    Barnaby Rudge
    A Christmas Carol
    Martin Chuzzlewit
    A Tale of Two Cities
    David Copperfield
    Great Expectations
    Bleak House
    Little Dorrit
    Hard Times
    Our Mutual Friend
    The Pickwick Papers
    good choice. A little overhashed IMO but a solid first rounder no doubt.

10th pick kind of sucks. There is one writer I really want but I doubt they drop to 10.

By the way, believe me, I would never ever favour a frog-eater if it wasn't really deserved!

By the way, believe me, I would never ever favour a frog-eater if it wasn't really deserved!
    well, at least we can agree on that!

Quote Originally Posted by Lebowsky
    From a stylistic point of view, Proust may very well be the greatest writer of all time.
    yeah, hes definitely up there in my book. I had to read swanns way in college and ended up liking it enough that I read the rest on my own. It almost makes me want to learn french so I can truly read it.

yeah, hes definitely up there in my book. I had to read swanns way in college and ended up liking it enough that I read the rest on my own. It almost makes me want to learn french so I can truly read it.
    Did you read the whole Recherche? Repped!
    The sheer physical mass of it scares the hell out of me...

Did you read the whole Recherche? Repped!
    The sheer physical mass of it scares the hell out of me...
    over the last 14-15 years I have
    It was definitely an undertaking, even approaching each book separately. I remember struggling through swann's way and then realizing that it was just a part of a much larger work. I was intimidated for sure.

Btw I should've taken part in this one, looks like it's gonna be a lot of fun. If I could maintain my interest in something for longer than a couple of days, that is.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

Alright I'm still not quite sure how judging is gonna go here so Imma make a risky pick here:

Aristotle

Aristotle's views on the physical sciences profoundly shaped medieval scholarship, and their influence extended well into the Renaissance, although they were ultimately replaced by Newtonian physics. In the zoological sciences, some of his observations were confirmed to be accurate only in the 19th century. His works contain the earliest known formal study of logic, which was incorporated in the late 19th century into modern formal logic. In metaphysics, Aristotelianism had a profound influence on philosophical and theological thinking in the Islamic and Jewish traditions in the Middle Ages, and it continues to influence Christian theology, especially Eastern Orthodox theology, and the scholastic tradition of the Catholic Church. His ethics, though always influential, gained renewed interest with the modern advent of virtue ethics. All aspects of Aristotle's philosophy continue to be the object of active academic study today. Though Aristotle wrote many elegant treatises and dialogues (Cicero described his literary style as "a river of gold"),[2] it is thought that the majority of his writings are now lost and only about one-third of the original works have survived

Quite possibly the most influential human being to live, Aristotle has covered everything from physics to philosophy. His works can be seen referenced in an unbelievable amount of other works since.

Notable Works:
    Pretty much everything he's written is huge. But the top of the tops would probably be Categories, Physics, Metaphysics, Politics, Economics, and his collective works on zoology.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    10th pick kind of sucks. There is one writer I really want but I doubt they drop to 10.
    Meh, in a draft such as this where there's really no cut out ranking of draftees, its a possibility.