Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am the First Officer ImmortalNemesis's Avatar

Default Harry Giles, #1 prospect in class of 2016, transferring to Oak Hill for senior year

Was watching some footage of his today. He's incredibly good. Just turned 17 too.

I was scared when he tore his ACL, MCL and meniscus, but thankfully it didn't affect his game much. It might be easier to see some of his games next year with him now attending Oak Hill. Looks like a young Chris Webber from what I've seen, but more athletic.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Default Re: Harry Giles, #1 prospect in class of 2016, transferring to Oak Hill for senior year

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalNemesis
    Was watching some footage of his today. He's incredibly good. Just turned 17 too.

I was scared when he tore his ACL, MCL and meniscus, but thankfully it didn't affect his game much. It might be easier to see some of his games next year with him now attending Oak Hill. Looks like a young Chris Webber from what I've seen, but more athletic.

I get the Webber vibe too. Mostly from the quality of hands. I'm not sure he's more athletic than Webber was as a prospect. But either way we're talking elite level athleticism from a traditional PF frame. Webber became a good shooter built on a good foundation that he had all along. Giles seems similar to me. And in the current environment I'm sure he'll wind up pushing it out to three point range. He's getting there anyway.

Default Re: Harry Giles, #1 prospect in class of 2016, transferring to Oak Hill for senior year

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I get the Webber vibe too. Mostly from the quality of hands. I'm not sure he's more athletic than Webber was as a prospect. But either way we're talking elite level athleticism from a traditional PF frame. Webber became a good shooter built on a good foundation that he had all along. Giles seems similar to me. And in the current environment I'm sure he'll wind up pushing it out to three point range. He's getting there anyway.
    Where u think he is going Thorpe,UNC or somewhere else , package deal with Dennis ?

He's a great talent, especially in the offensive side of the court.
    But he's #1 because he's a big guy, Tantum is WAY BETTER right now.

Quote Originally Posted by the mesiah
    Where u think he is going Thorpe,UNC or somewhere else , package deal with Dennis ?

I suspect he'll wind up at Duke with Tatum, who he apparently roomed with and became really close with during the U17s this offseason. Tatum, plus last season's national title on the back of it's own Freshman Superclass, and his Carolina roots, I think makes Duke the choice.

I've also heard Danny Manning is after him hard at Wake Forest, and he's apparently he's dug them. And his now former coach (as he's transferred to Oak Hill), Kieth Gatlin, who was a pro himself, has liked the fit at Wake because he says Giles reminds him some of Manning.

I think the Carolina roots will make it tough for Kentucky to land him. But obviously they're always in the conversation on anyone this high.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I suspect he'll wind up at Duke with Tatum, who he apparently roomed with and became really close with during the U17s this offseason. Tatum, plus last season's national title on the back of it's own Freshman Superclass, and his Carolina roots, I think makes Duke the choice.

I've also heard Danny Manning is after him hard at Wake Forest, and he's apparently he's dug them. And his now former coach (as he's transferred to Oak Hill), Kieth Gatlin, who was a pro himself, has liked the fit at Wake because he says Giles reminds him some of Manning.

I think the Carolina roots will make it tough for Kentucky to land him. But obviously they're always in the conversation on anyone this high.
    Yea, I'm a UNC guy,.but I think ur spot on ..too much drama at UNC to get the elite of the elite incoming freshman rite now .

I can't phantom Giles playing ball in WS. I know he's really close with Childress (already committed to Wake) and Parker (probably ends up at Wake), he likes Manning, and his mom is a huge Tim Duncan fan. That said, the idea of the top recruit choosing Wake, in their current state. Can't see it.

He's going to team with Tatum, along with (probably) Frank Jackson. Not sure who else they're after. Maybe: Gabriel or Bolden, as I think they need two bigs in 2016. Probably another shooter, knowing K.

UNC is in deep until the NCAA stuff finds a resolution. Thankfully the NOA came, finally giving a timeline with an end in sight. UNC has until the 20th of August to respond to the NOA, COI meets about once every two months with the last meeting in June, so it's possible for the COI ruling around November-January. There's no way it remains unresolved by the spring signing. The set timelines don't allow it. Good news: the questions should be answered before the end of the basketball season and before 2016 recruiting cycle completes. Bad news: who knows what the NCAA has up their sleeve and that very likely means UNC has almost no shot at any winter signees. Tony Bradley, perhaps, the one exception.

Assuming no post season ban (which is apparently what the coaches in football and basketball are expecting, per recruits), then you have to fight the incredible amount of negative recruiting that's been going on for the last 4+ years, along with the already existing stigma of one and done talents don't go to UNC. Basically, don't expect a big 2016 class. I also think there's other problems with recruiting, namely: Roy's traditional post offense and lack of a recruiter on the staff outside of Roy. However, it can turn around quickly if UNC makes a championship run this season and can keep Felton committed. At least you're starting the 2017 class with a top 10 player (who so happens to be a OAD talent) and we'll be a year removed from people bringing up the NCAA every minute of every tournament.

And the superstitious in me thinks the rivalry is due for a change in momentum. It's the way it's always gone the last couple decades. They're the new great thing in college basketball during the early 90s winning b2b (91 and 92) and Coach Smith is letting the game past him. UNC lands the top recruiting class in the middle of that and and immediately follows with a championship of their own (93). K has them back on top with a championship in 2001 (and a great 2002 team that underachieves). Meanwhile UNC is at their lowest point in program history winning 8 games. UNC lands the top class and wins a championship a couple years later (05). Roy comes back and completely dominates. Wins it all in 2009 and follows that with beating out K for the #1 recruit (Harrison Barnes). The game is passing K, now, messing up with the Paulus/McRoberts class. Then he wins it all the very next season. Few years later and here we are again, K getting a boost from USA basketball, coming off a championship and likely landing the top recruit and class. Meanwhile UNC coming into the season with a top 3 pre-season team, even in the middle of all the turmoil (which Roy isn't getting enough credit for). Can Roy respond? And I realize how ridiculous it is to predict the future based on that pattern. Got to cling to something, though, right?

Back to the the 2016 class, it's is impossible to predict right now. There's a reason why Roy has offered about 3x more recruits than he typically does and easily the most he's ever offered since he came back to UNC. I think we have to secede the immense local talent elsewhere. Too many factors against the program right now. The local news is trying to bury the program, Giles said he wants to make a decision in winter (never mind he was already starting to trend another way), and Smith and Bam have a very strong adidas allegiance. They probably both end up at NC State, of all places.

My 2016 guess (only considering those offered):
    Seventh Woods, WG - ~40-60/3-4 years/borderline NBA
    Miles Bridges, WF - ~5-10/1-3 years/NBA
    Sacha Killeya-Jones, PF - ~30-50/3-4 years/borderline NBA
    Lauri Markkanen, PF - No clue. Some scouts said he's Mc'D talented, but foreign guys are tough to scout. Until proven otherwise, sub-100/4 years/overseas.
    Tony Bradley, C - ~20-35 player/3-4 years/NBA

-But I'll tell you, I only feel good about Bradley.
    -Wouldn't surprise me if Woods ends up at South Carolina.
    -I only threw Bridges in there because he's consistently stated the lack of importance of all the NCAA stuff, mentioned he grew up a UNC fan, and wants to decide in Spring (unlike practically every other offer). Wouldn't surprise me at all if he stays in the Great Lakes, or goes to UK. Probably a good bet he does one of those two. Aside, he's my favorite player in the class. Check him out.
    -SKJ lives in Chapel Hill, has played with the team multiple times this summer, and I still think there's a really strong chance he ends up at UK.
    -Markkanen's coach apparently really likes Arizona. fyi: Roy coached his dad at KU, which is why we are in this. Or why we are recruiting an overseas player for that matter. Can't remember the last time that happened.

Outside chance: Dewan Huell. Terrance Ferguson, Rawle Alkins. Maybe, MAYBE, Bam and Smith wake the hell up and don't let shoe affiliation dictate their choice of school. If they open to Nike schools, I think we land both. I know for a fact Bam is a huge UNC fan and wants to play here. Like a Isaiah Hicks sort of recruitment. Not sure about Smith, but I've consistently heard he will stay in-state, I think K lands Frank Jackson, and call it cockiness, but I don't see a top recruit choosing State or Wake over UNC on an even playing field. Also Bam's commitment would probably give the edge.

That's my lengthy thoughts on the current situation. Take it for what it's worth (ie, not much).

As an uninterested party, I'd really enjoy seeing Giles go to Wake. Shame what has become of the program after Skip died. It'd be nice to see them back as a top 20 program simply for nostalgia.

Very worst case is Tristan Thompson dominate rebounder and finisher with mobilty.

Best case: Modern version of moses
    The best part of this guy is his rebounding.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleA
    Very worst case is Tristan Thompson dominate rebounder and finisher with mobilty.

What? They play nothing alike.
    Giles is almost a stretch 4, he's way more versatile than TT.

I am the First Officer ImmortalNemesis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TripleA

Tristan?

Their games are not very similar.

I have a feeling Grayson will win a second national title during his time at Duke(likely his senior year in 2018). Harry would help that effort tremendously.

Btw I am a part of a rare breed of people neutral towards Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Maga_1
    What? They play nothing alike.
    Giles is almost a stretch 4, he's way more versatile than TT.

Yeah ... absolute worst case I'd say is another TT. Tim Thomas. Another ultra athletic big who had some knee problems in his youth and became way way too in love with his jumper and general perimeter game, and never seemed to be completely comfortable taking advantage of what always seemed like bountiful athletic advantages even after he deteriorated physically a bit.

But no one wants to think about that.

Good college starter

He's going to surprise and end up at Wake Forest, too many ties to that program.

Also in terms of NBA preparation, being the man at Wake has proven to be a great step compared to being a cog in the machine at Duke. Their current NBA talent is roughly equal despite Wake only being relevant a few times the last couple decades and not being in Duke's league in terms of recruiting
    Last edited by yobore; 10-29-2015 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yobore
    He's going to surprise and end up at Wake Forest, too many ties to that program.

Also in terms of NBA preparation, being the man at Wake has proven to be a great step compared to being a cog in the machine at Duke. Their current NBA talent is roughly equal despite Wake only being relevant a few times the last couple decades and not being in Duke's league in terms of recruiting
    totally different coaches have produced most of wake's players though

and coach K is on a great one and done streak