Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Miami Heat Forum

Miami Heat Forum Miami Heat forum - miami heat message board

Old 12-23-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default What's your Mike Beasley scouting report so far

What do you like about his game and what needs improvement?
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

beasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: What's your Mike Beasley scouting report so far

He's got a nice overall offensive game. He shoots jumpers well and can drive past most PFs who try to guard him.

Its no secret he needs improvement on the defensive end. If he could finally draw a couple of charges, it would really boost his confidence in this area. Who better to learn from than Udonis Haslem, a highly skilled player in drawing them. I'd also like to see him be more aggressive and play a little from the low post rather than the high post all the time.
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
InfiniteBaskets
Decent college freshman

InfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputation

I wish Beasley could pull a Dorrell Wright and grow to like 6'9 or 6'10 and put on some big muscle. This year I've seen D Wade utilize the pick and roll a lot more and I'd prefer it that way. Him taking guys one on one is also to his advantage but the pick and roll gets the team involved a lot more and anytime he splits the screen it's almost an automatic bucket or trip to the foul line from what I can see.

I'd like to see Beasley become the PF that sets monster screens for D.Wade and either pop to the outside and become automatic from 17-18 feet or roll along with Wade and become a presence inside with his knack for scoring.
InfiniteBaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:31 PM   #4
AItheAnswer3
Decent college freshman

AItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation here

Spo's making B-easy earn his minutes by playing better D and playing team ball. I expect this to pay off in the future.

Quote:
Spoelstra looking for Beasley to be more aware of teammates
By Michael Cunningham | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
December 23, 2008
Miami - Watch Michael Beasley and it doesn't take long to realize the Heat's rookie forward has a special talent for finding a way to put the ball in the basket.

It also becomes quickly apparent that when the ball goes in to Beasley, there's a good chance it's not coming back out.

Among the 17 NBA rookies playing at least 20 minutes per game, Beasley, with 308 shots in 647 minutes, shoots at the highest rate (one attempt for every 2.1 minutes played). Only Dwyane Wade, the league's leading scorer, shoots more often for the Heat (one attempt every 1.8 minutes) and no one else is close to Beasley.

Meanwhile Beasley is tied for 15th in assists among rookies averaging 20 minutes or more. The rookies in that group who are equal or worse than Beasley in assists are all post-dwelling centers: Milwaukee's Luc Mbah a Moute, Portland's Greg Oden and New Jersey's Brook Lopez.

Beasley, who is averaging 13.6 points with 45 percent shooting from the field, admits it's sometimes tough to temper his instincts.

"All my life it's score, score, score, you know?" he said.

Wade said that's not all bad.

"I would rather him out there attacking than not," he said. "You wish as he continues to play he gets better at using his teammates and knowing that is going to help him even more. "He's a natural scorer. You can't take that away from him at all."

Certainly Beasley's offense is needed on a team that often struggles to score when Wade doesn't put up a big number. Still, coach Erik Spoelstra wouldn't go so far as to say the Heat encourages Beasley to be aggressive, instead saying "we encourage him to make the right plays. He looks to shoot and score with his instincts, but he is becoming more aware to make plays for other guys."
AItheAnswer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:46 AM   #5
Pat Reilly
I hit open layups

Pat Reilly has an OK reputation so far

No secret Beasley's biggest limitation is on defense. Given what a scorer he is I doubt he will ever be known for it. How much though will he improve on defense though?

He also is not used to passing the ball. Put it in his hands and the instinct is to score. Certainly better than the alternative but with DWade on the team... I would also like to see him take it to the basket more but with his jump shot hard to complan about that really.

Pat Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:15 AM   #6
Alonzo Magic
Mourning Glory

Alonzo Magic has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzo Magic has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzo Magic has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzo Magic has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzo Magic has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzo Magic has a near all-star reputation here

I understand what Spo is doing and how a lack of Defensive effort will not get him in the team no matter how good he is, but there are times we are really desperate for points and Wade is being Doubled, with 4 other guys unable to score surrounding him. In moments like those put B-Easy on. Also ANYTIME Wade is off, Beasley has to be on. We have to have someone who can score when Wade is off, I'm tired of seeing Quinn bring it to half court then give it to cook for a contested J.
Alonzo Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:52 PM   #7
Lord Leoshes
Local High School Star

Lord Leoshes has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by AItheAnswer3
Spo's making B-easy earn his minutes by playing better D and playing team ball. I expect this to pay off in the future.

Exactly, let him learn the ropes first, & he'll get the hang of it eventually.
He's only a 19 year old kid.

Last edited by Lord Leoshes : 01-16-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Lord Leoshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:14 PM   #8
Pat Reilly
I hit open layups

Pat Reilly has an OK reputation so far

The good news on Beasley is it seems he has improved enough that they trust him to play at the end of games now. Finishing is much more important than starting.
Pat Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:28 PM   #9
Lord Leoshes
Local High School Star

Lord Leoshes has an OK reputation so far

He needs to play better team scheme defense, & not make so many stupid mistakes. But like I've said. he's still a rookie, & will only get better at it with time.
Lord Leoshes is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: