Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Things you learned from experience during a game

How can you say you improved 5% in just one day?
    Sometimes is "just a day", sometimes you score with 80%, others with 40% and you're doing just the same practice.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

@carpevicis:well I knew it was about small things but those things opened my mind. I can't imagine what nba players such as kobe bryant notice.

@Maga:yeah, I guess you're right. I'll try my hardest to follow my program this entire week and to say what happened.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease carpevicis's Avatar

I don't know about you, but I feel every day I improve a great deal. I'm constantly thinking so some days I'll come up with a new drill, or a new move and other days I'll work on my handle and my shot and I'll know it's getting better. That's why I'm never worried about not getting better; just playing and watching people play I learn about so I know I'm improving both skillwise and IQ-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by carpevicis
    I don't know about you, but I feel every day I improve a great deal. I'm constantly thinking so some days I'll come up with a new drill, or a new move and other days I'll work on my handle and my shot and I'll know it's getting better. That's why I'm never worried about not getting better; just playing and watching people play I learn about so I know I'm improving both skillwise and IQ-wise.
    That's the spirit bro, keep the good work.

yeah great state of mind. I played with some of my freshmen team and twas chaotic.. I'll tell it in more detail in my other thread.

Mini Update: I'm getting really tired with the school work. There's a 3 page essay everyday from just a reading class. My passion for basketball may be losing and slipping a bit, but my love for it is undying. I guess I gained more knowledge of the freshmen team, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyflay
    Mini Update: I'm getting really tired with the school work. There's a 3 page essay everyday from just a reading class. My passion for basketball may be losing and slipping a bit, but my love for it is undying. I guess I gained more knowledge of the freshmen team, but that's about it.
    Don't let it slip bro. I had the school issue also but in the end, I fixed it by really organizing myself and cutting out time I didn't need. If need be, go to school early so you can finish the paper, because you love basketball. Schoolwork is a temporary issue, once you get back on the right track you'll be glad you didn't spend too much time wasted on school. Isn't passion the same as love though?

Quote Originally Posted by carpevicis
    Don't let it slip bro. I had the school issue also but in the end, I fixed it by really organizing myself and cutting out time I didn't need. If need be, go to school early so you can finish the paper, because you love basketball. Schoolwork is a temporary issue, once you get back on the right track you'll be glad you didn't spend too much time wasted on school. Isn't passion the same as love though?
    Well to me they are different. I can't really explain them though.. It's like passion is just liking the game. It's just like with a friend. He has passion but he lacks alot of love with the game. He sometimes go on bouts to train for 3 hours and then he might just stop training altogether, because he's just focused on something else. He just plays the game to just well.. play it. To me though, love is suffering through the worst and just finding the good things in it. You just don't ignore it, but you deal with it. Today, it started snowing lol. I was playing outside with my friend(I had to tell him a 30 minute essay about passion and love for him to come haha). The people watching us were like "What the hell are those guys doing. They are crazy for just playing basketball. You're not supposed to play basketball in the snow." To me, you can play basketball anywhere. So yeah...

Well to me they are different. I can't really explain them though.. It's like passion is just liking the game. It's just like with a friend. He has passion but he lacks alot of love with the game. He sometimes go on bouts to train for 3 hours and then he might just stop training altogether, because he's just focused on something else. He just plays the game to just well.. play it. To me though, love is suffering through the worst and just finding the good things in it. You just don't ignore it, but you deal with it. Today, it started snowing lol. I was playing outside with my friend(I had to tell him a 30 minute essay about passion and love for him to come haha). The people watching us were like "What the hell are those guys doing. They are crazy for just playing basketball. You're not supposed to play basketball in the snow." To me, you can play basketball anywhere. So yeah...
    It started snowing already? Dang... the outdoor court is my dawn/dusk training place so I'd be pretty bummed if it snowed.

It makes sense, your explanation of passion vs love I guess. But when I see it, love and passion are one and the same. I love to play basketball, it's my passion. Your definition of passion is more like my definition of interest, but you cleared it up well.

And yeah I've gotten that alot, the "what are you doing playing ball here". Once, I was at my town courts at like 5 am and these 2 kids were recovering from a hangover, so we chilled and played some 21. Then me and my friend went and played after we got chased out of our school gym in the rain. Third time I was playing ball in pitch dark using passing car's lights to see. I'm always playing basketball at the weirdest times

I'm glad you said your love for the game remains strong. It seems like that's the more important definition to you, so it's great to hear you're sticking with it. By the way, what are you goals for ball? I don't think you've ever mentioned.

Well, I don't really have any goals. I guess it would be great to play college bball or something. I just think that basketball is still a game. It's just the things that you learn while learning the game and sometimes playing it that is so spectacular.

Mini Update:I need to clean up my basketball training. Maga was right about it having too much basic stuff. It ends up eating my time. My training constisted of 5 min stretching, 5 min warm up, 10 min ball handling drills such as spider, figure 8, up the ladder, etc, 10 minutes on practicing ball handling moves such as crossover, two step, etc, 5 minutes on passing, 20 minute steve nash shooting working, then i practice ingame situations for 10-20 minutes(I realized that I can't do all my other training fast enough so it's eating away the time and I'm only doing around 10 minutes), then 5-10 minutes of free throw shooting. I want to keep some of the basic stuff like the ball handling drills(sometimes i can do them all in 5 minutes), passing(freshmen team sort of lacks this), and the steve nash shooting. I don't know if I should combine the steve nash with my handles training to make time more efficent.

Well, I don't really have any goals. I guess it would be great to play college bball or something. I just think that basketball is still a game. It's just the things that you learn while learning the game and sometimes playing it that is so spectacular.
    Good thinking, never let the glamor and money overtake the love for playing... I've heard of kids who play only to get a scholarship or only play because they were tall, but it should be an honest passion.

My mini update: I'm getting pretty nasty at threes now. A couple months back, I couldn't even hit a 3 with good form, but now I'm just pulling up and spotting up. All the people are always backed 3 feet off me cause they thought I had no range so I'll just rise and shoot.

Yeah, they're crazy. They should just get scholarships for being tall or something lol(I'm assuming they lack acadedmic skills).

mini update: I found a secret collection of instrumentals, so I had an idea of going healthy/doing my basketball training at exact times/being time efficent and sleeping around 10pm for this next week. I recreated my basketball training, so I'ma see the results. If this doesn't help me then screw it lol. Although I'm guessing the only way it wouldn't help me is if I didn't follow it..

What are instrumentals? The only kind I know of are the music beats without vocals...

And if it doesn't help you, just switch it up again. It's trial and error to find a good workout program because you never know exactly what you're good at and what you need to work on.

Saw a basketball once

The most important thing I learned from basketball is consistency. Doing a little bit every day to get better.
    Last edited by Snapwebsolution; 10-11-2010 at 10:28 AM.

@carpevicis:yeah same thing as without vocals lol. I can't stay on my schedule though, but I'm trying.
    @snapwebsolution: yep that's true. I see a lot of guys with pure natural talent but aren't consistent(by natural talent with basketball I mean they train in other sports that develop some basketball skills. I mean there's this guy that never practices basketball but is in track and is sophmore, 5'8, has a 8 pack, could bench press 165, and has like a perfect body lol from just running. He has great handles, shooting, defence, and almost everything, but he just isn't consistent at them.