Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Undefeated

Default Re: Players who played under tremendous pressure

Quote Originally Posted by SexSymbol
    Nobody really expected for him to come in and dominate the league at 18, stop it. Just because you read the word dominate on some of those articles that are made for people to click on them or read them in newspapers doesn't mean jack shit, like I said, there's so many people with these kinds of articles that it's ludicrous to think only LeBron's articles were legit and realistic expectations.
    You couldn't be more wrong. Nobody had as high expectations coming into the league as LeBron... the only one close is Kareem.

Quote Originally Posted by KiiiiNG
    You couldn't be more wrong. Nobody had as high expectations coming into the league as LeBron... the only one close is Kareem.
    You should check in on more history of the game man, google Grant Hill, invest some time into basketball's history before arguing it so confidently.

Wiggins had insane amounts of hype too, you would hear his name even on this forum 4-5 years ago. But we all know it means nothing, like people knew back in 01-03 about lebron

You should check in on more history of the game man, google Grant Hill, invest some time into basketball's history before arguing it so confidently.

Wiggins had insane amounts of hype too, you would hear his name even on this forum 4-5 years ago. But we all know it means nothing, like people knew back in 01-03 about lebron

Wiggins wasn't on the cover of Sports Illustrated 4 times before he turned 18, nor was any other athlete

Name another player that was given a 90 million dollar contract at 18?

He had multiple HIGH SCHOOL games broadcasted by ESPN with people like Bill Walton, Jay Bilas and Dickie V on the call. Shaq, Kobe, AI, celebs all use to show up to watch his HS games.

His junior and senior year in HS there were pretty much highlights and reports on ESPN from all his games

His last HS game vs Carmelo was pay per view

At 17, When he got busted for signing memorabilia and getting his mom an SUV, it was the top Sportscenter and sports story all over the nation

He was gonna be first pick in the draft two years before the draft ever happened, It was the most hyped NBA draft ever

The only athlete to come close at a young age is Bryce Harper, maybe Sidney crosby and that still wasn't anywhere near the hype LeBron experienced in high school.

Watch the documentary "More Than A Game". It chronicles his High School/AAU team

LeBron failed the most under pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by scuzzy
    Wiggins wasn't on the cover of Sports Illustrated 4 times before he turned 18, nor was any other athlete

Name another player that was given a 90 million dollar contract at 18?

He had multiple HIGH SCHOOL games broadcasted by ESPN with people like Bill Walton, Jay Bilas and Dickie V on the call. Shaq, Kobe, AI, celebs all use to show up to watch his HS games.

His junior and senior year in HS there were pretty much highlights and reports on ESPN from all his games

His last HS game vs Carmelo was pay per view

At 17, When he got busted for signing memorabilia and getting his mom an SUV, it was the top Sportscenter and sports story all over the nation

He was gonna be first pick in the draft two years before the draft ever happened, It was the most hyped NBA draft ever

The only athlete to come close at a young age is Bryce Harper, maybe Sidney crosby and that still wasn't anywhere near the hype LeBron experienced in high school.

Watch the documentary "More Than A Game". It chronicles his High School/AAU team
    Sure, I'm not arguing that he wasn't hyped as fk. And Sports Illustrated isn't nearly what it was back then. And check in on grant hill stakes too, he was just as hyped
    But hype doesn't equal pressure of the bat if you're drafted into a bad team in a small, shitty city with no winning culture. Everything he's done pre 2010 was considered a success even if in comparison to other all time greats it was pedestrian at best.

He had more pressure than anybody in 2011 because he was overwhelmingly expected to win AND was hated by the whole word. His whole legacy, at that point, was at stake. And he fainted.

Please explain to me, how 2012 was huge pressure for him if nothing changes in terms of career and public perception?

When you're at the point where success adds and failure doesn't detract you have no pressure and I don't think that's even arguable.

Truth to be told, no player faced more pressure than James before G6 in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Real14
    LeBron failed the most under pressure.
    Actually, he's one of few who made it to this level despite the hype and the pressure. Many men have crumbled, he didn't. Your IQ is lacking.

National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

Kobe didn't have that much pressure in 08 due to Boston just being a better team, he just played bad and got fouled and uncalled for it in the last games. And it's kinda unfair to compare the two in this kind of field as Kobe loves to put pressure on himself from various bullshit reasons, and LeBron generally tries to stay away from that. And I don't think that any of these ways are wrong, they're just polar opposites. There's a difference between being hated and being pressurized and I think you're mixing up the two.
    And I don't agree that "everybody already thought he couldn't win anymore.
    wtf are you even talking about.

Why would LeBron go to Miami if he didn't want pressure?

Why would he leave Miami and go to the Cavs if he wanted to stay away from pressure?

Don't act like LeBron was the first next MJ. Iverson, Carter, Tmac, Hill, all were hailed as the next MJ. I'd argue that Grant Hill has had the same amount of hype as LeBron.
    I wouldn't go there if I were you, you'd be fighting an uphill battle. Hill's hype wasn't even close to LeBron.

Nobody really expected for him to come in and dominate the league at 18, stop it. Just because you read the word dominate on some of those articles that are made for people to click on them or read them in newspapers doesn't mean jack shit, like I said, there's so many people with these kinds of articles that it's ludicrous to think only LeBron's articles were legit and realistic expectations.
    You couldn't be more wrong about this my man, it wasn't just the articles.

I know you live in Europe and all, so there's no way for you to witness the hype. I'm with you, I'm Canadian but let me tell you this - during 2002ish, you could walk into a bar in Toronto.... and they would broadcast LeBron's high school games nationally..... in a bar. Think about that for a second, can you think of another athlete who had that kind of treatment?

Keep in mind that this was in Canada too... so I can only imagine what the hype was like in the States.

-Danny Ainge back in 2002 while Lebron was still in high school, -"If I were a general manager, there are only four or five NBA players that I wouldn't trade to get him right now," says former Phoenix Suns coach Danny Ainge, who was in Trenton to see LeBron play for the second time. "I love Jason Williams at Duke, and I've heard of the Chinese guy [7'6" Yao Ming], but if LeBron came out this year, I wouldn't even have to think about it. I'd take him No. 1."

^ Keep in mind that Danny Ainge proved to be a very successful GM. You simply don't say that about someone that you don't expect to dominate right away. You don't waste your #1 draft pick on someone with pure potential either. LeBron was expected to dominate in the league whether you like it or not.

As regards to the bolded, you're confusing pressure with motivation. Pressure is when things change if you fail, not just when you succeed, and nothing changes for bron career wise if he fails in 12 finals.
    Yes yes, lets just make up our own definitions now.

Undefeated

National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KiiiiNG
    Grant Hill wasn't even the #1 pick out of his own draft

More hyped than LeBron

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Colangelo
    Grant Hill wasn't even the #1 pick out of his own draft

More hyped than LeBron

"You should check in on more history of the game man, google Grant Hill, invest some time into basketball's history before arguing it so confidently." ....... LMAO!

And then he brings up Wiggins right after that. You can't make up the levels of stupidity that SexSymbol displays on a daily basis here - Kobe stans should be proud!

No one has even come close to the pressure that LeBron faces. On and off the court, every little thing he does is under a microscope. Pretty sad.

Like shit, can you imagine if LeBron's wife said the NBA was rigged? And then proceeded to choke in game 7? Having your teammate say you will drop 50 then drop an inefficient 17 with horrible D and dumbass turnovers? Hit a fan with a mouthpiece after getting ejected cause you got your shit pushed in?

2012 playoffs, ringless LeBron down 1-2 vs Pacers on the road and in game 4 being down by 10+? And coming to drop 40/18/9? Crazy. Then obv the GOAT game (Game 6 Boston). Down 0-1 in the finals and down by 10+ in game 2 and still manage to win the game and series? Down 2-3 vs the Spurs in the 2013 finals. Still coming back and dominating the series... I can go on and on.

This is why LeBrons amazing resume is so much better than it looks. Goes beyond his 4 mvps, 3 rings, and 3 fmvps.. let alone all-star selections, all nba teams, all D teams, etc.

Decent playground baller

LeBron had the most from the start of his career.

Then he did the genius move to go back to cleveland, it's a young team with most talent in the nba,
    Waiters, Bennett, Thompson, Irving, Wiggins etc... = most talent on one team in the NBA??