Default Building a new gaming rig this Fall

Haven't built a personal gaming one in about 10 years, just did the PS4 couch slouch

New gen of GPU's dropping in the upcoming weeks, along with all the games that will be optimized for new consoles. Fig it was time to dip my dick again

Already have a nice monitor/k+m and mac, just doing strictly gaming rig (no stream/video editing)

Budget around $2k-2.5k, nothing over 3k because I wanted to snag a PS5 this holiday also

Will be part picking the next couple months, will update/pics

Default Re: Building a new gaming rig this Fall

i can't believe there's rumors of the nvidia 3090 pricing at upwards of $2,000. as big of an improvement jump that this next gen of cards is supposed to be, i'd bet that the jump from the 2080ti to whatever new card is priced closest to it won't be much. i wonder if the 3090 will be able to handle rdr2 @ 60fps 4k max.

regardless, i suppose it's as good a time as ever to build a new rig with the 3000 series coming out and 4k pretty much mainstream in the pc world now. hopefully congress can get u another check soon to help u along. my 9700k/2080 combo is still holding up well.

Not very concerned about running rdr2 or yesteryears titles, the challenge will be frontloading it to render games 3-5 years from now

I actually prefer resolution and detail over framerates, 140 frames isn't important to me. 60-100 fps is more than enough for the 3rd person titles I dig

Going to wait until reviews and details come out to jump on the GPU

Keep us posted scuz.

GeForce RTX 30 Series

3090 - $1500
    3080 - $700
    3070 - $500

these things are going to be sold out for months

anywhere from 60-95% better performance between a 2080 and 3080.

Last edited by scuzzy; 09-02-2020 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scuzzy View Post
    GeForce RTX 30 Series

3090 - $1500
    3080 - $700
    3070 - $500

these things are going to be sold out for months
    the big time brands like msi & asus will be, anyway. i had no problem getting my zotac 2080 in iirc early november of 2018. what's in a name anyway when it comes to these cards - the performance differences are negligible unless you're a real enthusiast. my zotac's been all good so far with a three year warranty to boot.i

Quote Originally Posted by diamenz View Post
    the big time brands like msi & asus will be, anyway. i had no problem getting my zotac 2080 in iirc early november of 2018. what's in a name anyway when it comes to these cards - the performance differences are negligible unless you're a real enthusiast. my zotac's been all good so far with a three year warranty to boot.i
    Yeah, the 3080 will be more than enough horsepower for even 4k/8k gaming

3090 is just flexing imo

Great price point to compete with the PS5/XBSX this holiday

3080 will be able to play most games 4k @ 60fps, but I doubt it will be able to handle most modern games at 4k/8k with 144 frames (and every pc gamer knows that once you reach 1080p/60fps, increased frame rate will be far more influential toward improving your gaming experience than increased resolution)... and I personally doubt that even the 3090 will be capable of doing 4k @ 144hz on upcoming AAA games like cyberpunk2077

What monitor do you have?
    Last edited by Nanners; 09-04-2020 at 04:05 AM.

34" Asus ROG swift

I just use it for my Mac display now for work

Wish Nvidia sold a 3080 Cyberpunk like the 2080ti card, it's too bad they only gave away 200

Nice, that monitor should be a perfect fit for the 3080 now and into the future

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners View Post
    3080 will be able to play most games 4k @ 60fps, but I doubt it will be able to handle most modern games at 4k/8k with 144 frames (and every pc gamer knows that once you reach 1080p/60fps, increased frame rate will be far more influential toward improving your gaming experience than increased resolution)... and I personally doubt that even the 3090 will be capable of doing 4k @ 144hz on upcoming AAA games like cyberpunk2077

What monitor do you have?
    good point. even with the big generational performance leaps here by nvidia, at the same time in comes next gen games that are going to require even more horsepower to reach the typical desired frame and resolution thresholds. so whatever benchmarks we see in the coming weeks, they can't be counted on moving into next gen pc ports coming later this year.