Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-05-2007, 09:35 AM   #16
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: J-Rich still shocked, angry about trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
wtf does that have to do with anything? if a player request a trade he's selfish but if the organization trades you its a business?
some people here need to get a grip...
imagine you're on vacation and your boss calls you and says you've been traded to another company in west bubble fuxc... now move your family and everything you know and love for the past 6 years to that place
you get paid millions of dollars to play a game, and that comes with certain responsibilities. actually it really only comes with one responsibility. honor your contract.

and i'm not saying jrich won't honor his contract. and i'm not saying he doesn't have a right to be upset. like you say uprooting your family is not easy. leaving your friends is not easy.

but people who won't be moving from one mansion to another and spending all their working days doing what they love are forced to do it all the time. a guy in my company was recently given the option to find a new job or move from LA to Chi-Town. he made the move.

the difference between regular companies and nba franchises is that most employees don't sign contracts for a set number of years, and it's usually easier for a company to fire you and hire someone new than it is to move you from the closing accounts receivable position in LA to the opening accounts receivable position in Chicago.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:40 AM   #17
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard

2LeTTeRS KD has decent reputation

Quote:
J-Rich still shocked, angry about trade
Six-year veteran upset most with how Warriors handled situation

By Marcus Thompson II, MEDIANEWS STAFF
Article Last Updated: 07/04/2007 10:02:38 AM PDT

Jason Richardson is an emotional guy. It's his edge. It's what makes him the player he is, the person he is.

So you can imagine all the emotions that ran through him when he received the news that he was no longer a member of the Warriors, the only NBA franchise he's ever known, traded away to the Charlotte Bobcats on Thursday.

Five days later, after the Warriors swapped him and the No. 36 overall pick for the No.8 selection, North Carolina freshman forward Brandan Wright, the emotion is still ever present.

"I'm still shocked," Richardson said in a phone interview from the Bahamas, where his fiancee and two children are taking in a planned vacation. "It's hit me a couple of times. ... It was a shocker. That was home. I've been there for six years."

Richardson was angry.

So mad, he just stopped answering hisphone. Not for Michael Jordan. Not for his mother. He said it wasn't that he got traded, but how the Warriors handled the situation.

He said he expected to be the player sent packing, what with his value on the trade market, the emergence of second-year guard Monta Ellis and the arrival of Stephen Jackson. That's why he and his agent, Dan Fegan, went to Chris Mullin, the Warriors executive vice president of basketball operations, at season's end to address the obvious and work out a situation where the Warriors and Richardson could be happy.

"Again, we looked at a lot of things, and we've got to do what's best for the organization,"

Mullin said Monday after the team introduced Wright to the media. "And I do think (Charlotte) is a good place, but that's my opinion. I've got the ultimate respect for Jason as a player and a person. My job is to make those tough decisions."

Ideally, Richardson said, he would've liked to have his agent and Mullin work together to send Richardson to a place he'd like to play, just as Minnesota is doing for Kevin Garnett. But Mullin, Richardson said, remained steadfast in his stance that Richardson wouldn't be traded, that the Warriors were building around him.

So when Richardson got wind from his agent, who learned from a reporter, that he was Charlotte-bound, and Mullin wouldn't answer either of their calls, Richardson said he felt betrayed.

"I understand it's a business," Richardson said. "I was kind of thrown off about the way they went about the situation. (I would've preferred) they inform me that they were trying to trade me. We kind of knew all along that I was going to be the one to get moved. But all along, it was 'Jason is the franchise, he's this, he's that. ... He's not going anywhere.'"

Richardson said he felt as if he earned the opportunity at least to try to control his destiny, based on what he did for the franchise. He pointed out how he never went to the media with trade demands, even though there were times he was resigned to the fact it was his time to move on.

Richardson acknowledged he asked Mullin privately to trade him a few times, the latest being before the 2006-07 season but kept quiet after Mullin's promise of coming help.

Richardson also pointed out that he rushed back from knee surgery last season, despite a teammate telling him not to risk future injury, because he wanted to deliver on his playoff promise at the end of 2005-06.

"I know you're not supposed to do that," Richardson said, referring to an unwritten player code, "but I played hurt for a franchise. I put my career on the line for the sake of the franchise. That's just how I am. I'm loyal. I was expecting them to be loyal to me."

At first, Richardson didn't like the idea of going to Charlotte. But as he thought about his new team, he couldn't help but get a little eager about a new start. Then he got another call from Jordan. This time he answered.

"I didn't know M.J. wanted me like that," Richardson. "There's no better feeling to me than winning, and he's the same way. A lot of people can't take that (pressure) from him, that's why I think other players have had problems. It's going to be a challenge for me. I know I'm not close to his level, but how many people would turn down the opportunity to learn from the best that ever played?"

Richardson said he would prefer not to go through the young-team-learning-how-to-win experience again. But, with him seeing clearly now, the situation with the Bobcats looked promising.

He thought about his new teammates — most notably point guard Raymond Felton, forward Gerald Wallace (who is a free agent), and post Emeka Okafor. He thought about playing in the wide-open Eastern Conference, and how Charlotte finished just five games out of the playoffs. He remembered that general manager Rod Higgins was the former Warriors GM, which means Richardson would have someone to help him transition. Suddenly, Charlotte wasn't so bad.

Richardson said he will fly to North Carolina today. Oddly enough, he was scheduled to leave the Bahamas for Denver, his fiancee's hometown, and the layover just happened to be in Charlotte.

"It's going to be funny being the old head of the team," Richardson said through a laugh. "I actually had a chance to sit down and really look at what's on this team. ... All this team needs is some leadership and experience. I hope I can bring both."

Reality started setting in that Richardson was no longer a Warrior. He wasn't going to lead the franchise to a championship. His jersey wasn't going to hang in the rafters. He wasn't going to get to spend the rest of his playing days in the Bay Area.

That fact still moves him even now.

"I had so much love for that team, for that city, because of the fans," he said. "From the time I was drafted until the time I got traded, they supported me. You always want that, to remain with a team your whole career. You get accustomed to the city, you buy a house there, you get a good fan base.

"You always envision that. But how many guys actually finish with the team they start? ... I just want to say thanks to them. Thanks for the love, and I love them."

Please when you post an article post the entire thing. The end speaks about J Rich having a change of heart, hoping Wallace re-signs and concedes that we were only a move or 2 away last year from making the playoffs and if we get Wallace back should make the playoffs.
2LeTTeRS KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:10 AM   #18
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
wtf does that have to do with anything? if a player request a trade he's selfish but if the organization trades you its a business?
some people here need to get a grip...
imagine you're on vacation and your boss calls you and says you've been traded to another company in west bubble fuxc... now move your family and everything you know and love for the past 6 years to that place
JRich signed a contract that gave the team the right to do this. You don't sign away on things and then complain when they happen. If he values permanancy of location, he should switch careers. He can work at McDonalds, where things like this don't happen.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:15 AM   #19
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year

Rockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS KD
Please when you post an article post the entire thing. The end speaks about J Rich having a change of heart, hoping Wallace re-signs and concedes that we were only a move or 2 away last year from making the playoffs and if we get Wallace back should make the playoffs.
See he is a professional he will get over it and play no matter what. I understand his anger it natural to get upset right after you get traded from a team you liked so much. IMO the bobcats got the better deal in this trade and have a decent chance of making the playoffs. J-rich has right to be angry, but showed he is a professional by excepting the trade and looking to the future of his new team.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:21 PM   #20
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

Maybe he's so pissed that he'll start driving enough to shoot more free throws than three-pointers.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:30 PM   #21
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by saKf
Maybe he's so pissed that he'll start driving enough to shoot more free throws than three-pointers.

One can dream...
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:34 PM   #22
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

'Cause if he did, I'd totally start liking him.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:56 PM   #23
JalenRawley
Local High School Star

JalenRawley has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

What, and make people base their bull**** on the whole story instead of a selectively edited one? People here barely base anything on fact, let alone -all- of the facts.

You're asking way too much of these people.
JalenRawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:02 PM   #24
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
JRich signed a contract that gave the team the right to do this. You don't sign away on things and then complain when they happen. If he values permanancy of location, he should switch careers. He can work at McDonalds, where things like this don't happen.

Knowing the business-side of things and liking them are not the same thing. He gave candid responses when asked about the trade, and acted as most of us would. He was hurt to be moved from a happy situation where he finally starting winning to one thats still struggling, which is only natural, but he didn't demand a trade, speak about holding out, or disrespect our team or franchise. As a Bobcat fan I have no problem with what he did and if you actually read the whole article I could see you supporting his actions too.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:03 PM   #25
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JalenRawley
What, and make people base their bull**** on the whole story instead of a selectively edited one? People here barely base anything on fact, let alone -all- of the facts.

You're asking way too much of these people.

True, but very very sad.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:28 PM   #26
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
"I understand it's a business," Richardson said. "I was kind of thrown off about the way they went about the situation. (I would've preferred) they inform me that they were trying to trade me. We kind of knew all along that I was going to be the one to get moved. But all along, it was 'Jason is the franchise, he's this, he's that. ... He's not going anywhere.'"
That sucks. Mullin has no obligation of being honest to anyone, but you'd think he'd play straight to a player that has led -emotionally and to an extent statistically- your franchise for the last few years, playing his heart out and helping the community as few do.

Quote:
Mullin wouldn't answer either of their calls, Richardson said he felt betrayed.
That's completely classless.

Best hopes for Richardson, and hopefully he can succeed with the Bobcats, who aren't as bad as many people seem to think.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:15 PM   #27
JalenRawley
Local High School Star

JalenRawley has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
True, but very very sad.

Yeah, I know it. This place could be -really- cool if it weren't so.
JalenRawley is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: