Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default How Exactly Do You Stat Pad?

Hearing all this talk about stat-padding got me thinking.

Beside playing heavy minutes, when the game is out of reach, how exactly do you stat pad?

If you are making passes to teammates that shoot a career high because of your passing ability; how is this stat-padding?

If you are "dribbling the whole shotclock and taking a shot off an iso"; wouldn't the effectiveness of this play be seen somewhere? Either the efficiency of your teams offense as a whole? Your own personal efficiency?

Not sure how you can stat-pad grabbing rebounds unless you take them out of your teammates hands or give up a fast break opportunity to grab one; but for the most part, hustling/getting in good position for rebounds helps your team a lot more than it hurts it.

Lastly, defensively? How does one stat pad defensively? Constantly playing passing lanes rather than playing your man? Letting someone beat you off the dribble in order to make a play after? These would be painfully obvious if done on a consistent basis.

Clearly this is in reference to LeBron James and the common criticism of him "stat padding". Since 08, his teams have been top 10 in both defense and offense. Plenty of players have enjoyed career high %'s while playing with LeBron, no doubt due to the attention he draws on offense. We aren't talking Ricky Davis miss a shot at your own hoop to rebound and get a triple double here; we are talking about a first-team all NBA player who took teams we'd laugh at, to 60+ wins and a finals appearance.

Default Re: How Exactly Do You Stat Pad?

Its like choking, how do you diferentiate it from just missing?

You just know it.

alot of times rondo stat pads like not finishing on the fastbreak to get an easy assist.

Smile, you're on ISH Crystallas's Avatar

Stat padding can get exaggerated, but it does happen. The players who stat pad, do it a few times a game, not entirely as their style of play.

I do agree though. Sometimes you would think of some forms of stat padding as incentives to help more than actually trying to get your stats up.

Banned

pretty easy. you are down 15 with a minute to go, and go for 3 uncontested dunks when you know it's game over

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jabbar
    Its like choking, how do you diferentiate it from just missing?

You just know it.
    I've seen it get thrown around here way too often for it to just be a "you just know it" situation.

Another question to consider: What's worse, "going for stats" and actually performing effectively or "going for the win" and playing poorly?

See, I'm not concerned with aesthetics and how pleasing someone's basketball skills are to the eye when I evaluate talent and individual play. I'm concerned with how well they play and how effective they are. A lot of you can't seem to grasp this concept and it's a big part of the reason guys like Tim Duncan don't get the respect they deserve from casual fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MezCclCSjNw

there was a more hilarious one this season, dont remember the player...

Banned

What I don't get is people arguing Rondo's case of stat padding. Yes, he's aiming for assists, but if he scored, the points will show up on the stat sheet anyway. And since everyone seems to look at Points rather than assists, I don't see what's all the fuss besides not being aggressive.

And with points you get 2 + 1-1 FG shooting presented in the stat sheets vs 1 under the AST stat sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by thomaspynchon
    pretty easy. you are down 15 with a minute to go, and go for 3 uncontested dunks when you know it's game over
    I referred to this in the first post. Doing things like that are very obvious. I'm wondering though, how exactly do you stat pad, on a consistent basis, in close games, with the end result either being a win or your team playing on a higher level than it would without you.

owwwww

You pull a Wilt Chamberlain.

IE:

- fail to deliver when game is on the line, get most of your stats in the garbage minutes when team is down big (see '62 series vs. Celtics)
    - you play 48 minutes a game, even in blowouts where team is up/down 25+ pts just to hit your specific statistical targets

Players don't usually get this opportunity anymore, but Wilt is the golden standard when it comes to this.

Local High School Star

stealing rebounds from your big men, is the most coomin occurence regards to stat padding(LeBron's favorite)

Hogging against the bench unit of the opposing team(another one of james favorites)

Local High School Star

stealing rebounds from your big men, is the most coomin occurence regards to stat padding(LeBron's favorite)

Hogging against the bench unit of the opposing team(another one of james favorites)

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Jack

If you are "dribbling the whole shotclock and taking a shot off an iso"; wouldn't the effectiveness of this play be seen somewhere? Either the efficiency of your teams offense as a whole? Your own personal efficiency?

Not sure how you can stat-pad grabbing rebounds unless you take them out of your teammates hands or give up a fast break opportunity to grab one; but for the most part, hustling/getting in good position for rebounds helps your team a lot more than it hurts it.

Lastly, defensively? How does one stat pad defensively? Constantly playing passing lanes rather than playing your man? Letting someone beat you off the dribble in order to make a play after? These would be painfully obvious if done on a consistent basis.
    Yes you just answered your own question - that is exactly it.

Let me add a few more. Not taking shots to save FG% even though your team is getting blown out. You must go out shooting if you are the best scorer on the team.

Lebron barely rebounds offensively, so yes he is taking rebounds from team mates and not closing out his man by getting rebounds instead - see Cleveland vs Orlando in 2009 - Turk and Lewis 3pters all day long since he wanted to stat pad rebounds

Holding the ball and iso and only taking layups make sure everyone who is open is always on the perimeter and he passes up when he doesnt want to force a layup. Makes every big man useless e.g. Bosh, Jamison. Oh then you can blame them for not making jumpshots after he loses the game.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by knightfall88
    Yes you just answered your own question - that is exactly it.

Let me add a few more. Not taking shots to save FG% even though your team is getting blown out. You must go out shooting if you are the best scorer on the team.

Lebron barely rebounds offensively, so yes he is taking rebounds from team mates and not closing out his man by getting rebounds instead - see Cleveland vs Orlando in 2009 - Turk and Lewis 3pters all day long since he wanted to stat pad rebounds

Holding the ball and iso and only taking layups make sure everyone who is open is always on the perimeter and he passes up when he doesnt want to force a layup. Makes every big man useless e.g. Bosh, Jamison. Oh then you can blame them for not making jumpshots after he loses the game.

so true...i've lost count of all the times i've seen leBron fly in to steal an easy board that his big could've gotten. It got so bad in cleveland that guys like Varejo and Z would simply clear out for james to get the rebound. Also i hate guys that play their FG%....Who gives a shit, as the best player their are certain shots you have to take...leBron james is the king of deferring especially when he see a few of his shots not go down.