Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-09-2018, 09:13 AM   #1
Duderonomy
Josh Allen get em

Default Who's getting the the 7th and 8th spot in the west?

I'm thinking the Clippers and Nuggets.
Jazz have been playing good as of late.
Duderonomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:56 AM   #2
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Who's getting the the 7th and 8th spot in the west?

Rubio should return to form before long and they are quite a ways back so it will be tough for the Jazz. They have improved their team with the trade and probably have the best schedule down the stretch where they are mostly at home where they have been much better. The teams ahead of them aren't tanking so it should be fun anyway!
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:20 PM   #3
CakeorDeath
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
they are quite a ways back so it will be tough for the Jazz.

3 games behind the 5th seed with 28 games to play is "quite a ways back?"
CakeorDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:45 PM   #4
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeorDeath
3 games behind the 5th seed with 28 games to play is "quite a ways back?"

at this point of the season it is when the teams ahead of you are trying to win and Rubio gets back to his normal shitty play and Exum starts playing ahead of Burks
Old 02-09-2018, 02:46 PM   #5
ImKobe
NBA Legend

Lakers have the 2nd best record in the last 16 games after the Rockets IIRC in the WC. That's with injuries to a bunch of guys. Lonzo and IT will both be playing after ASB. Only 5 games behind? We can do it. Undefeated in February.
ImKobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:17 PM   #6
CakeorDeath
Local High School Star

Quote:
at this point of the season it is when the teams ahead of you are trying to win

Jazz are trying to win too. Several teams above them are significantly worse than they were a month ago. OKC is worse without Roberson. Pelicans are worse without Cousins. Clippers are worse without Blake.

Jazz have the benefit of a very friendly schedule and a roster that is not currently missing any major pieces to injury. And the bonus of a deadline acquisition that should fit in like a glove.

Quote:
and Rubio gets back to his normal shitty play

You have no evidence of that. Unlikely that he will maintain the very high level he has achieved during the win streak, but the evidence suggests that he won't downgrade all the way to "shitty" because his spike in performance is due to finally adjusting to Snyder's system and being fully familiarized with where his teammates tend to be on the floor. Both are crucial for a point guard.

Rubio doesn't need to be fantastic for the Jazz to win most games; they do against elite competition, but there aren't too many of those games left on the schedule. Rubio can simply be good on most nights and the Jazz will be fine.

Quote:
and Exum starts playing ahead of Burks

You have no evidence of that either. If Exum returns at all this season, he will likely be on restricted minutes for a while, and most of his time will come at the expense of Neto, not Burks. With Sefolosha lost for the season and Hood/Johnson gone, there will be plenty of minutes for Burks, even if/once Exum comes back.
CakeorDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:40 PM   #7
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeorDeath
Jazz are trying to win too. Several teams above them are significantly worse than they were a month ago. OKC is worse without Roberson. Pelicans are worse without Cousins. Clippers are worse without Blake.

Jazz have the benefit of a very friendly schedule and a roster that is not currently missing any major pieces to injury. And the bonus of a deadline acquisition that should fit in like a glove.

You have no evidence of that. Unlikely that he will maintain the very high level he has achieved during the win streak, but the evidence suggests that he won't downgrade all the way to "shitty" because his spike in performance is due to finally adjusting to Snyder's system and being fully familiarized with where his teammates tend to be on the floor. Both are crucial for a point guard.

Rubio doesn't need to be fantastic for the Jazz to win most games; they do against elite competition, but there aren't too many of those games left on the schedule. Rubio can simply be good on most nights and the Jazz will be fine.

You have no evidence of that either. If Exum returns at all this season, he will likely be on restricted minutes for a while, and most of his time will come at the expense of Neto, not Burks. With Sefolosha lost for the season and Hood/Johnson gone, there will be plenty of minutes for Burks, even if/once Exum comes back.

Debatable rather the Pelicans are worse without the head case. Got some new pieces that will take some time though. Let's see what OKC does with buyouts. Is Gallinari coming back for the Clippers? He'd be a big piece that they've mostly been without.

I thought Exum was a major piece?

I have a whole career of evidence that Rubio isn't for real right now. What evidence says that Favors/Gobert/Rubio can work outside the past few games? Exum could be thrown into that mess too!

Hill didn't need to adjust to the system because he fit. He was arguably their best player before he hurt his toe in November. Rubio simply doesn't fit! Rubio has mostly been horrible though so to expect him to even be good is really wishful thinking but the same thinking that has people thinking Exum is worth 10 million a year I guess!

Who ever Exum replaces they are likely worse with him than without him though. Exum is the one guy that is worse than Rubio. Burks has been out of the rotation since Hood's return. I'd assume Crowder and Burks take Johnson and Hood's spots in the rotation assuming he goes with 10 which he hasn't always. Also He likes Udoh. Also have a spot to fill yet. So how is their minutes for Burks when Exum returns assuming everyone is healthy which is probably not likely considering their track record.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #8
ArbitraryWater
... on a leash

Quote:
Debatable rather the Pelicans are worse without the head case.

please. They won like 6 straight with him and just got going, now 1-3 w/o him.
ArbitraryWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:12 PM   #9
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
please. They won like 6 straight with him and just got going, now 1-3 w/o him.

With 3 new players. Can take time to integrate new guys on the fly as you will see with the Cavs soon. Cousins has yet to prove he's a guy that you miss. The first time I saw him this year I actually had hope that he had matured. He wasn't pouting the whole game and even smiled! The last two times he looked like the same old Cousins to me. I certainly wouldn't want him on my team!
Old 02-09-2018, 05:24 PM   #10
NBAGOAT
College superstar

nuggets are def making it with millsap coming back soon. I give them the 6 actually. Por is definitely making it. I'll still give 8 to NOP since Clips and Jazz made changes which could take time to adjust.
NBAGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:32 PM   #11
Real14
2Willd & 2Fresh est.86

Who cares. They both have no chance.
Real14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:40 PM   #12
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBAGOAT
nuggets are def making it with millsap coming back soon. I give them the 6 actually. Por is definitely making it. I'll still give 8 to NOP since Clips and Jazz made changes which could take time to adjust.

I would think Crowder will fit in pretty quickly. The biggest concern is when Rubio returns to form and spacing becomes an issue again. They got rid of their two ball stoppers and worst defenders though.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:51 PM   #13
FreezingTsmoove
The Sheriff

Lakers and Nuggets
FreezingTsmoove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:52 PM   #14
MrFonzworth
Data Pagan

Not the Pelicans
MrFonzworth is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: