Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-03-2011, 01:21 AM   #5236
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Gotta say, The Fighter loses me a bit in the montages, they're just so cliche and distract me. Yes, I'm liveblogging.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:43 AM   #5237
baseketball4life
7-time NBA All-Star

True Grit 6.5/10 not bad, decent, worth a viewing but nothing special by any stretch. average.

about to watch coming to america for the first time tomorrow excited for that
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:57 AM   #5238
Quizno
Biyombo Smash!!

Never Let Me Go - 8.5 / 10

very well done. for the most part, it stays true to the book (i highly recommend it to anybody) and the acting is amazing. keira knightley, andrew garfield and carey mulligan are perfect in the portrayal of their characters. the score fit well and the cinematography was beautiful. the only gripe i had was that it was too short at 1 hour and 43 minutes and it felt short. it should have expanded on the characters more, and the climax wasn't explained as well as it could have been. still, it was a great movie, one of my favorites of the year.
Quizno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #5239
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizno
very well done. for the most part, it stays true to the book (i highly recommend it to anybody) and the acting is amazing. keira knightley, andrew garfield and carey mulligan are perfect in the portrayal of their characters. the score fit well and the cinematography was beautiful. the only gripe i had was that it was too short at 1 hour and 43 minutes and it felt short. it should have expanded on the characters more, and the climax wasn't explained as well as it could have been. still, it was a great movie, one of my favorites of the year.
I think it might be my favourite of the year. That one shot with Tommy running to the boat in the middle of the beach was incredible.

Did the book go into the political or scientific aspect of things more or did it focus on solely the characters like the movie? I was a little bit curious as to how everything came to be and continued on for so many years but not to the point where it ruined the movie for me because they incorporated parts of that so well into the character story.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #5240
"Jesus"
Short & Sweet

True Grit: 6/10
Not quite what I expected. Amazing performances all around. Didn't read the book or the first film but wanted to have a bit more going on.
"Jesus" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #5241
Quizno
Biyombo Smash!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I think it might be my favourite of the year. That one shot with Tommy running to the boat in the middle of the beach was incredible.

Did the book go into the political or scientific aspect of things more or did it focus on solely the characters like the movie? I was a little bit curious as to how everything came to be and continued on for so many years but not to the point where it ruined the movie for me because they incorporated parts of that so well into the character story.
the book went a lot more into the political aspect of it. at the end when they went to visit madame, in the movie it didn't really explain that madame led an organization that was against raising kids to donate their organs. she was trying to prove that they were children just like anybody else, and the book explained how hard she and her organization tried to stop the donation procedures. also, the book spent a lot more time focusing on their childhood.
Quizno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #5242
Raj Da Dodge
Welcome to the New Age

Gotta question, if a movie is NOT a blu ray disc but if you put it in a blu ray player and play it in the blu ray player will the non blu ray disc/regular format get the same quality and resolution as a blu ray disc?
Raj Da Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #5243
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj Da Dodge
Gotta question, if a movie is NOT a blu ray disc but if you put it in a blu ray player and play it in the blu ray player will the non blu ray disc/regular format get the same quality and resolution as a blu ray disc?

Highly doubtful.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:02 AM   #5244
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj Da Dodge

Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:03 AM   #5245
Nova6
Decent playground baller

Inception
One of my favorite movies of all time. Must watch a few times to really understand everything. If you dont like to follow complex stories, this movie isnt for you.
Nova6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:03 AM   #5246
Raj Da Dodge
Welcome to the New Age

cuz someone at work told me. my friend told me that it upgrades to the highest quality. if you have a blu ray player and put in a regular dvd then it upgrades it. thats what she told me.
Raj Da Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:04 AM   #5247
BankShot
3-time NBA All-Star

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring in 1080p on my laptop.... like I've said in another thread, I'm planning on rewatching the trilogy in succession, for the first time in direct succession and really having only seen it in the theaters and then maybe once on DVD.

While fully knowing and understanding the plot, but not really remembering the specifics of the actual film, I was thoroughly entertained by Peter Jackson's rendition of the first installment of the classic fantasy novels.

The special effects and CGI did seem a tad dated, which makes sense seeing as how it came out almost 10 years ago, but in no way did it take away from the viewing experience. I guess i didn't really realize how well done these films were, and how epic they were in scale and depth.

Well done, Peter Jackson, and I'm looking forward to watching Two Towers probably tonight and tomorrow night.

8.2/10
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:05 AM   #5248
Nova6
Decent playground baller

No, a regular dvd will not have nearly the same quality as a blu ray. Its not a rip off, there truly is a difference in quality, and thats why you pay more. I know that for a fact, one thing i am unsure of is I think a regular dvd will be displayed in slightly better resolution, because i think the blu ray player upconverts the video, but im not 100 percent sure. Oh, lastly, the audio is better on blu ray too.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:06 AM   #5249
BankShot
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova6
Inception
One of my favorite movies of all time. Must watch a few times to really understand everything. If you dont like to follow complex stories, this movie isnt for you.

I'm not a huge Inception fan (although I was thoroughly entertained) but I must say that watching it the second time was almost a better experience because I had a working knowledge of the concepts they were putting across.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:13 AM   #5250
Nova6
Decent playground baller

I agree, watching it the second time was much more enjoyable
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: