Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Kids are more talented today then any period in history.

They can do more bullshit but are lazier, less focused, fatter, and way more spoiled.

Power32 (OJ Mayo) O.J A 6'4Mamba's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GatorKid117
    Idiocracy....

That is what the world is going to come to lol.

As for the education system, here in Florida we take the FCAT. I believe we take it every year from 3rd until 11th grade. My mom works at an elementary school and I have volunteered a lot at some schools as well and the vast majority of the teachers tell me they cannot teach the way they want to; they have to teach the kids to take the test. That is pretty much what the kids learn to do and it is extremely sad.

When I went to elementary school, I remember being involved in a lot of projects, plays and other interesting stuff throughout my time. Now a days, they do none of that, just strictly book work. Heck, I know that certain schools/districts are trying to get recess taken away. Again, its extremely sad that our kids are learning how to take a test than all the other interesting things in the world.
    No Child Left Behind says hi.

Power32 (OJ Mayo) O.J A 6'4Mamba's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    They can do more bullshit but are lazier, less focused, fatter, and way more spoiled.
    Why do we as society looked down upon quote on quote spoiled kids. There is nothing wrong with spoiled kids that shows somewhere a long the line someone worked hard for the kids to get spoiled. Hell, I rather kids be spoiled with their iphones then not being allowed to drink in the same water fountain as a white man.

I disagree; and there aren't many facts to back up your claim.

National High School Star

no way. if anything, the recession is exposing the younger generation that they aren't prepared to really buckle down and take a stand. I mean, the average college student graduates and comes out with so much debt and without a job. Usually will have to take a job they are over-qualified for and completely different than what they majored in. Then spend all their free time and money (if they have any) on alcohol/partying and going to sports games. Sure, maybe more talented because of technology and information available... But what is talent without work ethic and mental toughness? The avg kid in a third world country has more work ethic and drive then the avg kid here. That is why the USA will eventually fall behind to emerging nations.

Quote Originally Posted by falc39
    no way. if anything, the recession is exposing the younger generation that they aren't prepared to really buckle down and take a stand. I mean, the average college student graduates and comes out with so much debt and without a job. Usually will have to take a job they are over-qualified for and completely different than what they majored in. Then spend all their free time and money (if they have any) on alcohol/partying and going to sports games. Sure, maybe more talented because of technology and information available... But what is talent without work ethic and mental toughness? The avg kid in a third world country has more work ethic and drive then the avg kid here. That is why the USA will eventually fall behind to emerging nations.
    a bit far fetched no?

Oh the Bealsanity

Quote Originally Posted by O.J A 6'4Mamba
    No Child Left Behind says hi.
    Yep, and it sucks. The education system in Florida is extremely flawed in my opinion.

Here's a quote from Wiki:

"Teaching to the test" often results in teachers staying away from unique styles of teaching, but instead requires them to follow a more conventional method in order to prepare the students for the standardized yearly tests. This abandonment of creativity in the classroom leaves teachers with a feeling of disdain as they are no longer given ample opportunity to help students learn in their own ways. Critics of the bill state that students also suffer from the lack of inventive ways of learning, and the strain of learning standardized testing practices can have a lasting affect on the child's capabilities and motivation. Standardized testing also can change the way students learn, causing them to avoid thinking deeply into an issue and only focusing on the material that will be tested.
    Pretty much explains my stance to the T. That is one of my major beefs with our education system.

I think because of the technological world we live in kids are more intellegent in specific categories rather than variety.
    Take if a kid likes music, because of how easy it is to access all genres a kid will know more about music than most of us at their age. Yet when it comes to academics, I believe the older generation would do better on that grade's ciriculum if they were tested head to head.
    I think in general we live in a short term result society that we take it for granted and rely on how easy it is to access information.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact
    a bit far fetched no?
    i dont think so. it's what i witness first-hand with a lot of people I know (I just graduated from college). i even left out all the people who are unemployed and are now living with their parents.

False, it just easier for people to share their talents.

NBA rookie of the year

Please. This is a weak era for kids. As it is for music and many other things.

Quote Originally Posted by O.J A 6'4Mamba
    Why do we as society looked down upon quote on quote spoiled kids. There is nothing wrong with spoiled kids that shows somewhere a long the line someone worked hard for the kids to get spoiled. Hell, I rather kids be spoiled with their iphones then not being allowed to drink in the same water fountain as a white man.

I'd rather them have a good work ethic, well rounded education, respect for self and elders, and a healthy lifestyle.

You can't argue that kisd are getting healthier and more motivated.

Technology/TV/pop culture is helping kids become lazier and more apathetic.

Good High School Starter Saintsfan1992's Avatar

Most of u don't know what the hell your talking about.
    I love how u seem to think we are getting dumber and if
    We are I blame 75 percent on the older generations and 25
    On us. I mean it's not my generations fault we are in debt
    We instilled racism in our children. We vote vote for dumb ass
    Presidents that send us to war. we are behind everyone else in
    The education department. Don't worry u guys did some good
    I mean my generation will shit on your's and so will my sons or daughters
    Shit on mine and how dare a ****er say we spend our money
    On alcohol and drugs ate u ****in crazy some us have bills
    To pay cloths and video games,school books , shoes even gifts
    For others. And by the way you don't know every teenager in you're own
    State let alone your city so all of you please shut the he'll up
    And remember who has to take car of u one day

Good High School Starter Saintsfan1992's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    I'd rather them have a good work ethic, well rounded education, respect for self and elders, and a healthy lifestyle.

You can't argue that kisd are getting healthier and more motivated.

Technology/TV/pop culture is helping kids become lazier and more apathetic.
    Umm no most of my friends are not fat I'm probably more atheltic than you
    Ever was and you're son we ever be

Oh yea let's blamE tv and video games let's not blame the parents
    I mean who really controls the house
    Last edited by Saintsfan1992; 10-03-2010 at 02:34 AM.

Magic Johnson

Eh, maybe. But I question those who say our generation sucks. We were raised by your generation, so if you think about it... it's your own ****ing fault.