Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Why do some people value animals over human lives?

I just don't get it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm against animal cruelty, it's disgusting and abhorrent. But you know the train problem? Something like, 5 people are about to be hit by a train, you can flip the switch and divert the train, but it will then kill a single individual?

If there was a human being trapped on one side, and 10 animals on the other... sorry Fido, but I'm saving the human being. Again, I am NOT condoning any kind of violence or mistreatment of animals, but does anyone else out there consider a human life to be more valuable than that of an animal? PETA types will absolutely roast you for being an animal hater and despicable person for saying this, but don't explain their logic.

Default Re: Why do some people value animals over human lives?

Because Animals are innocent, while Humans are guilty.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Because humans are able to understand what is happening to them while animals aren't. It kind of makes their situation seem even more tragic. They seem so much more helpless because they have no idea what to do or why it is happening. Probably not the only reason but it is part of it I think.

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    I was going to make this thread. lol

To people with pets, would you let a perfect stranger die if it meant your pet could live?
    yup, my dog is part of my family.

Don't get it either. Fck animals. We got to the top of the food chain by shitting on everyone else so keep it that way

I hope all of you stating that animal lives > human lives are vegetarian or vegan?

Please don't try to explain your rationalization that your dog or cat is more valuable than a human life, but not a cow or sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde
    yup, my dog is part of my family.

And if it was someone else's dog you had to let die to let a stranger live?

What about if it was a choice between your dog or your cousin? Or a friend? Or a cardiac surgeon?

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    I hope all of you stating that animal lives > human lives are vegetarian or vegan?

Please don't try to explain your rationalization that your dog or cat is more valuable than a human life, but not a cow or sheep.
    I think it isn't necessarily inconsistent to be carnivorous and consider animal life more valuable. It could be for the reasoning stated in the Matrix how humanity is a virus that is slowing destroying life on earth.

We have exited the food chain, which has broken any link we had with nature. In a lot of respects, we are no longer a contributing part to the cycle of life outside of human society. To some people, that might be a terrible reality that is contributing to the current state of the environment. I don't think it would be ridiculous for someone to use that as a reason to state that animal life is more valuable than human life.

NBA rookie of the year

I just don't get it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm against animal cruelty, it's disgusting and abhorrent. But you know the train problem? Something like, 5 people are about to be hit by a train, you can flip the switch and divert the train, but it will then kill a single individual?

If there was a human being trapped on one side, and 10 animals on the other... sorry Fido, but I'm saving the human being. Again, I am NOT condoning any kind of violence or mistreatment of animals, but does anyone else out there consider a human life to be more valuable than that of an animal? PETA types will absolutely roast you for being an animal hater and despicable person for saying this, but don't explain their logic.
    Not a fan of PETA. People eating tasty animals is more my thing, but this is kind of a straw man argument. Who is saying kill 1 human to save 10 animals?

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    I think it isn't necessarily inconsistent to be carnivorous and consider animal life more valuable. It could be for the reasoning stated in the Matrix how humanity is a virus that is slowing destroying life on earth.

We have exited the food chain, which has broken any link we had with nature. In a lot of respects, we are no longer a contributing part to the cycle of life outside of human society. To some people, that might be a terrible reality that is contributing to the current state of the environment. I don't think it would be ridiculous for someone to use that as a reason to state that animal life is more valuable than human life.
    I think if someone feels that animal lives are more valuable is because they're "innocent" "helpless" "unable to understand their situation" or what have you, and eats meat, contributing to these poor helpless animals being caged, chained and butchered, it is very hypocritical.

Now, if someone were to say "cats and dogs are more valuable than humans, but not cattle/pigs/chickens" then I'd really want to hear their rationale, but at least there is no cognitive dissonance or hypocrisy. BTW I'm not trying to attack people in this topic and say they're hypocrites. This is just how I see it and I'd like to know how others feel.

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    Not a fan of PETA. People eating tasty animals is more my thing, but this is kind of a straw man argument. Who is saying kill 1 human to save 10 animals?

I am saying that, it's a hypothetical twist of the common ethical dilemma. Train can either go on the path to run over a guy on the tracks, or the other path has 10 animals. I'm gonna flip the switch and save the person.

Still in the league Marcus Thornton's Avatar

Obviously those people are supporting human population control.

NBA rookie of the year

I am saying that, it's a hypothetical twist of the common ethical dilemma. Train can either go on the path to run over a guy on the tracks, or the other path has 10 animals. I'm gonna flip the switch and save the person.
    That's obvious that's like saying I'm not going to rape kids

Who's going to not do that? Maybe 1% of the population is not going to do that

I think if someone feels that animal lives are more valuable is because they're "innocent" "helpless" "unable to understand their situation" or what have you, and eats meat, contributing to these poor helpless animals being caged, chained and butchered, it is very hypocritical.

Now, if someone were to say "cats and dogs are more valuable than humans, but not cattle/pigs/chickens" then I'd really want to hear their rationale, but at least there is no cognitive dissonance or hypocrisy. BTW I'm not trying to attack people in this topic and say they're hypocrites. This is just how I see it and I'd like to know how others feel.
    Never said that wasn't hypocritical but I can understand the cognitive dissonance for the majority of the population on a topic like this. The one quote by Byron kind of fits for the majority of society "In England the only homage which they pay to Virtue - is hypocrisy."

Caring for animals too much can be bad for you.

Look at Tony Soprano.

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    That's obvious that's like saying I'm not going to rape kids

Who's going to not do that? Maybe 1% of the population is not going to do that

Well we already have one who would rather let a stranger die than their dog. I can understand the reasoning behind that, but I don't have a dog so I can't legitimately weigh in.

What I'm saying is by choosing to save the human over the 10 animals, is that a human life is more valuable than an animal life. I just don't see any way in which an animal life is more valuable than a human's.

If truly 1% of the population would not do that, then this topic is moot. However, I believe more people than that would choose to save the "innocent animals".