Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Default Re: The Decision: JR Smith is a New York Knick!!!

Quote Originally Posted by franchize
    Nobody hates Jeremy Lin. I just hate kneejerk comments. You know...kinda like this one. How exactly did Jeremy Lin improve EVERY aspect of the game? I think anyone would be foolish to hate on Lin. He's playing out of his mind. I just don't think blowing things out of proportion and declaring him "franchise saviour" is a pre-requisite to be a Knicks fan. Forgive me but I'd like to see a little more than 2 weeks of beating up on bad teams before I declare him an elite player.
    Honestly I would honestly say Lin has essentially saved the season, and he's doing it playing as good as any pg in the league.

Do I expect him to keep this up? Not the scoring but the kid has showed some things that I do expect to continue, mainly good pg play, setting up teammates for a good shot, running the pnr, and dictating the pace of the game.

Sure he's done it against some of the not-so-goods in the league, but I'm sure those opponents all believed they had done their math.

Every year we search and search for our team's cancer because the media declares one player the Achilles' heel or malcontent.I finally realize what the problem is. The NY media is the Knicks Achilles Heel. They mirror what is going on in politics right now. Conservatives blaming Obama for things when the stats say the exact opposite. (ex "Obama wants to kill private sector jobs")
    I try to avoid politics at all costs ( I leave that to my wife to chat about).

I do think that the Knicks media policy helps control what comes out though.

Honestly Melo is taking more heat than Ewing did, and it's plain sad.

His college coach should not have to go on radio shows defending Melo like he's done.

Some have seriously called him a "cancer", and that's just plain ridiculous.

Every great player doesn't win it all, but even if Melo did it, some still would not be happy.

Lin has been huge for our offense.

You could see that just by watching the Kings game.
    With Lin in the lineup offense looks smooth.
    Lin attacks the basket and sets up teammates for either an easy dunk/alley oop or a wide open three pointer.

With Shumpert at the point all the team did was standing behind the three point line and chucking bad shots. Why ? Because there was no one who could penetrate and create easy opportunities for the rest of the team.

I think Lin will be able to keep this up. I don't expect him to play like he did recently but I'm pretty confident he will be able to attack the basket and create for his teammates for the rest of the season.

13/8 is something I expect and I would be very satisfied with that.

"The Residential Pit" franchize's Avatar

Default Re: The Decision: JR Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    What do you mean he has improved the team in every phase of the game? We still get outrebounded, and our 3 point shooting still stinks.

What he has done is made the team cut down on taking the bad long 2 pointers. He is attacking the rim and we are shooting a much higher percentage of good shots.
    Yea I think brother Rameek's post was an example of going too far lol No way you can say Lin is a better defender than Shump at the point. Nor can you say our turnovers have gotten better.

Lin has been our best facilitator all year however. Furthermore, he is the bets pg fit in this system since Steve NAsh.

Local High School Star MightyWhitey's Avatar

When I first heard that jr was coming to the Knicks I was happy. But now I am really thinking about it and think that this was not a good decision. Jr is a problem child and he could easily remove the rhythm of the game that Lin has created and knock fields and shump back to minor minutes. So far Lin is working well with chandler, fields, and shump. Amare seems to need more time to progress with Lin but I think they can be a real tag team.
    Jr smith will not be a good addition to the teams chemistry. But then again I may eat my words and I hope I do.

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MightyWhitey
    When I first heard that jr was coming to the Knicks I was happy. But now I am really thinking about it and think that this was not a good decision. Jr is a problem child and he could easily remove the rhythm of the game that Lin has created and knock fields and shump back to minor minutes. So far Lin is working well with chandler, fields, and shump. Amare seems to need more time to progress with Lin but I think they can be a real tag team.
    Jr smith will not be a good addition to the teams chemistry. But then again I may eat my words and I hope I do.
    I think bringing in Smith makes the rotation correctly proportioned, instead of some of the sets we see out there.

This team needs scoring on the wing besides Melo, and JR definitely is not afraid to shoot it like Fields is at times, and more accurate than Shump is from there.

But he won't be taking their minutes, he'll be ensuring that the one's who really are playing too much stay within their normal effective minute allotment, thus getting his fair share of 20-25 minutes in the process.

I fully expect Tyson out of all of the players, to make sure JR doesn't even think of messing things up.

signs two-year, $4.3M deal

That's good. I like J.R. I hope we keep him for a long time. Regardless, he is a scorer and will gel easily. We need players knocking down shots, makes it difficult on the defense.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Default Re: The Decision: JR Smith

How about a quarter water?
    No one outside of NYC uses that term. NO ONE!

I used it when I first moved down to MD and had to explain what I was trying to get. Down here they call them "huggies"

"The Residential Pit" franchize's Avatar

End of the day, we got rid of a guy who wasn't getting any burn and got back a guy who could potentially crack the starting lineup for a huge discount. I remember wanting Nick Young and this guy is actually cheaper than Nick's qualifying offer.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/nyk/roster

Will wear #8, and be the best player since Sprewell to don the number for the Knicks.

Straight Hardcore percelloveknicks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/nyk/roster

Will wear #8, and be the best player since Sprewell to don the number for the Knicks.
    Thats messed up, sprees number should be retired.

spree reincarnate

J.R.Smith could play tonight.

Baron too but not as likely.

This will go down as one of the greatest signings in the nba- you will be amazed how easily he creates shots for both himself and others- if d'antoni plays him with the other scorers he will be way more efficiant of a scorer and more of a playmaker than the "chucker" you might be expecting- things like a starting pg off the rookie wage waiver list and a guy like jr smith for 2 million dollars for 2. Years- these are championship building moves, total luck in a way but also not because of the timing and the way the knicks have been putting the team together.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Great pick up for the Knicks.