Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-21-2018, 12:56 PM   #1
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Default Bob McAdoo video and a comparison of old school "super" teams vs modern.

https://youtu.be/sGx5P02PVe4

Bob....im sure youre aware of the name at least. Old guy looking cranky on the Heat bench for 20 years. In his day he was the man. Im sure you have heard some things so I wont go all that far into it.....ill just say he was scoring 30-35 a game for 3 years in a row and he got one of Kareems 70s MVPS. Scorer. Pure scorer. Buckets all day kinda scorer. "Get the **** out the way" no help needed watch him work scorer. But...later in his career he ended up on the Lakers. He never gets mentioned as one of those Showtime guys but he was on 4 Laker finals teams and won 2 rings. He put up 17/7 2 blocks a game on 56% shooting off the bench one title run. Hed score like 15 a game in 20 minutes off the bench. He was still a top scorer but the Lakers were stacked. But he had the talent to be what most of todays top teams dont have...

That closer off the bench.

The Lakers had McAdoo off the bench which is wild enough. But at one point they had Mcadoo, Worthy, and Cooper all off the bench with 4 all stars starting. Thats an aging MVP(but not exactly old as hed just turned 30 on the lakers), a finals MVP, and a DPOY off the bench at the same time.

Pistons had the Microwave and Rodman both off the bench.

Philly had Andrew Toney when he was off the bench and he did more of the same as a starter. His minutes could be staggered with other starters so at times hed just...be the offense. Bobby Jones was a 6th man of the year as well.

Mchale was like 29 before he was an every game starter and their best team had Walton off the bench.

Bucks had Ricky Pierce.

These were guys with all star to superstar talent off the bench on great teams.

Iggy made a clear impact but he wasnt really a scorer. I wont detract from his contribution...im just not so much talking about guys like him.

Pretty much every great team of my youth had straight up scorers off the bench or as key....not quite role players....but low end stars.

I suppose expansion is part of that....but with all these guys teaming up lately it seems odd to me none of these super teams seem to have a great scorer off the bench.

Melo could be that guy if he wanted. Go all out for 18 minutes a night and not complain.....but I suspect he wont. Eric Gordon comes off the bench for the Rockets a lot I guess....

But I dont see the legendary subs I got used to for a while there. I guess the cap limits depth....but thats one area I think the old great teams would have an advantage if they played this eras teams.

2018 teams have a not quite scrub lineup off the bench and they might bring in 2 hall of famers and a DPOY.

I dont know if guys would really relish that role these days. Young and prime guys?

I guess we will have to see on the Celtics. Somebody really good is coming off that bench when they get healthy. That team could wind up looking like an 80s monster team if guys dont leave.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:26 PM   #2
kennethgriffen
Banned

Default Re: Bob McAdoo video and a comparison of old school "super" teams vs modern.

if they retire lebrons jersey in LA only playing 4-5 years ... then they better retire mcadoos

good stats+2 rings > great stats+0 rings
kennethgriffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:34 PM   #3
JellyBean
College superstar

Default Re: Bob McAdoo video and a comparison of old school "super" teams vs modern.

Yesssir!! McAdoo on that Lakers 2nd unit was lethal!! He also got minutes with the starting unit as well, when Riles wanted to throw that 1-3-1 at teams. Magic at the top. Kareem in the middle. Coop/Worthy/Scott on the wings and Bob, 6'9" and that long wing span, on the bottom of that 1-3-1. OMG!! But yeah Bob was legit on that 2nd unit. Not sure why many players don't mind coming off the bench more and playing with the 2nd unit.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:21 PM   #4
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethgriffen
if they retire lebrons jersey in LA only playing 4-5 years ... then they better retire mcadoos

You know the Hawks only retired pistol Pete in like 2014?
Old 07-21-2018, 04:22 PM   #5
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean
Yesssir!! McAdoo on that Lakers 2nd unit was lethal!! He also got minutes with the starting unit as well, when Riles wanted to throw that 1-3-1 at teams. Magic at the top. Kareem in the middle. Coop/Worthy/Scott on the wings and Bob, 6'9" and that long wing span, on the bottom of that 1-3-1. OMG!! But yeah Bob was legit on that 2nd unit. Not sure why many players don't mind coming off the bench more and playing with the 2nd unit.

You’d figure with so many people on some winning before anything shit some star would break the trend and just embrace the 6th man spot on a winner.

Imagine having Lillard off the bench on an already good team....
Old 07-21-2018, 04:50 PM   #6
32jazz
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethgriffen

And I believe McAdoo started 1 game in 4 seasons and barely averaged 20 mpg. Neer started a game and played even less mpg in the playoffs.

Unless it's a disaterous 4-5 seasons or more I can see LeBron getting retired whether he wins or not just based upon his impact to a team at it's worst stretch in it's history. Catch Kareem's scoring perhaps and made the Lakers relevant again.
32jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:23 PM   #7
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

SO this is one of you right?

Quote:
Batı
22 minutes ago (edited)
Let me tell you a story about Kblaze and his influence on my life:
I grow up in a remote area in Turkey where opportunities were limited and people were hopeless because nobody in the whole country was caring these people like they were nothing. At times, I felt the same way and believed that I am nobody and I do not have any capability to pursue my dreams, I have suffered from low self-esteem a lot and now I am suffering from my high anxiety as well. Since I believed in the idea that I am nobody and I cannot do anything but accepting the truth that like anyone else I will live a miserable life in which my dreams were just dreams. At that time I encountered Kblaze’s videos and tried to imitate great NBA players’ moves by watching them, thanks to these videos and those legendary edits, gradually I improved myself and I acquired a dream: my dream was to being a NBA player and getting selected in NBA Draft. From the 0, I struggled a lot and put my effort in this dream and I was accepted 2 times by a NBA Camp called NBA Skills Challenge Camp. Best 2 players from this camp were awarded and they moved the US but I could not. My suffering from self-esteem continued but with the help of Kblaze and dedication to my dreams I tried to overcome this suffering and continue playing and I was accepted by Turkish Basketball League First Division team Medical Park Trabzonspor’s young team, everything except some obstacles was going smoothly and those were probably the best times of my life even my coach was saying to me at that pace I could promote to first team to play in the first league however one day my father came out and he said to me his name was listed in a political trial list and he is going to be arrested by authorities and he said to me that he was innocent and he was slandered by some dark, corrupted people, and at that time my mother was going to undergo a critical medical surgery and my father requested from me that I leave my basketball team and take care of my mother in this period. I left my team and quit playing basketball after that moment. They put my father in jail and after 3.5 years they released my father like nothing happened, they could not blame him for anything because as he said before he was innocent man from the very start. Perhaps one of the biggest dreams of my life was disrupted by some obstacles related to political power issues of this bloody world. Although I suffered a lot, again with the help pf Kblaze I overcame these. Since Kblaze’s videos include outstanding edit, music choice and story telling I am influenced by his every production and especially by his music and underrated legendary player choices. They always fit perfectly and every time I clicked the notification that he uploaded a new video I find the video very sentimental with no exception. By the influence of his music choices I acquired a really tasteful music repertoire starting from my childhood and I thought that not only I was influenced by basketball and my dream was not merely being a basketball player, music was also my biggest ambitions in this universe. I have learnt lots of amazing pieces and artists from Kblaze’s videos. And I have started learning music production from that point and continue chasing my dreams, I am a electronic, experimental Hip Hop producer and nowadays I am working on my first EP and I want to be a composer to tell my story and inner voice to other people who struggle from the life and at the same time love this life. Although I gave an impression that I suffered a lot, I have nothing to complain about, my life are made up of those memories and I embrace all the experiences I have had in this life, cause’ everything I experience shapes me and describes me. I hope you do not give up and try yo pursue your dreams too with the help of Kblaze and his influence on us. THANK YOU KBLAZE. Even though you are one of the most underrated channels in the Internet, your productions are top notch quality, If you could stop producing, I would cry like a baby, your influence on me could not be underestimated. Thank you for saving my life and my dreams. I believe that one day I can be the Bob McAdoo of my life who even though coming from the bench and nobody even knows his name, striving and fighting for his dreams. Believe in yourselves guys, If you put your effort you can do whatever you want. Thank you for reading my story. Thank you Kblaze. Greetings from Turkey and peace! - Batı.
PS. I cried when I heard Kool & The Gang’s legendary Summer Madness in this video, this synth solo is somewhat related to my story and I really love this song. It fits really well with Bob McAdoo’s smooth playing style. Thanks for choosing it!
Old 07-22-2018, 12:22 AM   #8
jlip
College star

If I recall correctly I remember after winning the '82 title Magic saying something like, "We have three MVP caliber players on our team." He was speaking of himself, Kareem, and McAdoo.
jlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:14 AM   #9
Gotterdammerung
God-killer

Manu Ginobili is still in the league.
Gotterdammerung is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: