Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 01-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
MightyWhitey
Local High School Star

Default What do the Raptors need to do to be playoff contenders?

I am partial to this team because I have alot friends and relatives that live in T.O. I consider them my 2nd team under the Knicks. What do the Raps need to do to get a decent team going?

One thing I realized about the Knicks and Amare is that they signed a big name and built a team sort of around him which is working so far. But eventually there will be tweaks to the system.

The raps next season need to clear alot of cap room and do the same. Toronto is a sport lovers city unfortunately with alot of bad teams (Leafs & Jays).The Raps should look into doing what the Knicks did and what the Nets are looking to do with Melo.

What do you Raps fans think?
MightyWhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

Default Re: What do the Raptors need to do to be playoff contenders?

A Knicks/Raptors fan? That's a first. Well we clearly need upgrades at every position except the 1 and the 5.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
DJMason
Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
A Knicks/Raptors fan? That's a first. Well we clearly need upgrades at every position.

fixd.

Being a playoff team this year or the next should not be our concern. We should try to get as much young tallent (emphasize tallent) as possible since it will be much harder to lure people to us and our losing situation that it was for NY to get Amare.

A great coach that players want to play for also would help a great deal since D'antoni was a huge factor for Amare as well.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

omfg, now Mike "Mr. Regular Season" D'antoni is a great coach? What's next, that Al Horford is the 2nd coming of Hakeem Olajuwan? Why does 95% of this board overvalue players who don't play for our team and undervalue our own?
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
MightyWhitey
Local High School Star

To be honest alot of NYK fans, including myself, don't like D'anotoni's system. There is barely any defense played by the Knicks and not enough offensive rebounds. Yes the Knicks are way better than they were the last 10 years but long term we have to get rid of D'antoni and fill the spot with a coach that gives defense an emphasis as well as the fast paced offense.

T.O. once had great players like Carter and T-Mac. They can get another big name to play well with Bargnani and hopefully lure more players. The only reason that Amare came to the Knicks was because of the 100 million he was offered. Otherwise he would have been in Miami instead of Bosh. If anything, I don't know how many #1 picks T.O has, I would go after Melo and try my luck. If not wait another season and make the ultimate offer to a free agent and you will be guaranteed to lure more players to the Raps.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Lottery picks, smart GM moves and about 5 more years.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
DJMason
Dunking on everybody in the park

I meant D'Antoni as a coach that people want to play for rather than being great, as he was a key reason that Amare went to NY. Chill the eff out.

Agree with Chambs though, trying to do short-term building around Bargs would be a treadmill move at best. We need an approach like the Jays are doing. Lose for a bit while making smart, long-term GM moves, get a coach that people would like to play for and (yes with more defensive emphasis than D'Antoni please) and exhibit patience.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
MightyWhitey
Local High School Star

Have the Raps front office made any clear signs of what they intend to do in the future?
Old 01-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #9
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyWhitey
Have the Raps front office made any clear signs of what they intend to do in the future?

None whatsoever. That's the most frustrating part about all this. If he came out and said he wants to win now and he started making moves to do so, so be it. I don't agree with it, but it is what it is. At least state the direction you see the team moving toward.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:

Nope. Obtaining Peja's large expirer was a good start though. There has never been any real direction to this team under Colangelo's reign. Mostly just a bunch of thoughtless, quick fix and short-sighted moves like Jermaine O'Neal, Shawn Marion, Hedo Turkoglu etc..

If we can get Melo somehow that would be great, but he wouldn't sign an extension here.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:39 PM   #11
b4ball
Local High School Star

Quote:

The last time we had a GM that clearly stated what the Raptors would do was Babcock, and he said we would lose and lose lot's. And he was killed for saying that.

I don't know that it's smart to say what you will do because it's dependent on getting player. I think you first get the players, and based on who you have you determine the style of game your going to play, and then know at least what positions need improvement. Right now we need everything, not saying we don't have some pieces, just that the current collection is a very long way from competing for even a playoff spot in the eastern conference.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #12
undertaker21
Serious playground baller

This is what the Raptors need to become playoff contenders:

/thread
undertaker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #13
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

a fictional character?
Old 01-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #14
undertaker21
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
a fictional character?
Atheist?
undertaker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #15
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Indeed, sir!

Back to the topic at hand. Did the OP mean contend for a playoff spot or a championship contender?

If its contend for a playoff spot, we're really only missing one piece probably, but that would be pointless.

In order to become a championship contender, it's going to take a few years of smart moves and patience.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: