Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 01-11-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
bluerap
Good High School Starter

Default Raptor fans don't despair, it could be much worse

As bad as this team is, at least we have some talent and some promise.

It REALLY sucks to be a fan of the cavs or pistons.
Those teams are going nowhere.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
bokes15
Playoffs!

Default Re: Raptor fans don't despair, it could be much worse

Yeah... like I said before, I think Cleveland is one of the few rosters in this league that I feel is significantly worse than ours. As for Detroit, I think Joe Dumars lately has been just as bad if not worse than Colangelo but nobody calls him on it. I guess due to the fact that he built that championship Piston team way back when.

But if you look at what he's done over the past 3 seasons:

He traded Billups/Dyess for Iverson which was a very questionable and curious move, one which many people doubted. But they flipped it as saying "well he's expiring so wait until he uses that money. Iverson will help them short term and then maybe they can sign him to a lesser contract or get someone else"

And who does he use the cap space on? Ben freaking Gordon and Charlie Villanueva, both signing massive long term deals and dooming the franchise for the next few years. Like, any day of the week i'd take Bargnani and Derozan over Gordon and Charlie V.. and I can't say that about many other teams.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
RapsFan
Good college starter

The only thing about Detroit is that they do have some youth that appears to have very high upside in Daye and Monroe. They also have Stuckey....Prince is expiring, Rip will be next year. Dumars has been horrid for the Gordon and CVill deals alone. Cavs are just rough.....at least they are fully in tank mode and have lots of cap space.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
bokes15
Playoffs!

I feel like Rodney Stuckey is incredibly overrated. So much in fact to the point that they thought he would be an adequate replacement for Chauncey Billups. And subtracting Billups and giving Stuckey the position full time resulted in them going from a perennial 50+ win team to a team that barely even made the playoffs and got swept, easily and hasn't come close since. He's not a bad player or anything but he's nowhere near the level they made him out to be.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
RapsFan
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
I feel like Rodney Stuckey is incredibly overrated. So much in fact to the point that they thought he would be an adequate replacement for Chauncey Billups. And subtracting Billups and giving Stuckey the position full time resulted in them going from a perennial 50+ win team to a team that barely even made the playoffs and got swept, easily and hasn't come close since. He's not a bad player or anything but he's nowhere near the level they made him out to be.

I agree. He's not going to be an allstar, but he's a solid young player. Be a great backup 1/2.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
hayden695
College star

I really feel bad for Pistons fans, they have such a f*cking mess on there hands. Cavs aren't as bad, they atleast went from great to shit, unlike the pistons who had to go through mediocrity for a few seasons. Do the Cavs have all there picks for the next drafts? If so that is nice. If not, well they are screwed.

Pistons are worse off, other than Varejao I can't think of a really bad contract on Clevelands roster, whereas 3 pop up instantly for Detroit.
hayden695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
bokes15
Playoffs!

^^ yeah, the Pistons are a mess man. The Cavs are bad but within the next year or two they are in a position to make some big moves because they aren't signed on with a bunch of big long term contracts. The Pistons are paying starter money for a core of players that should be coming off the bench. And probably when Stuckey becomes a FA they will use that money from Tay's expirer to give him some 9-10mill/year type of deal.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
b4ball
Local High School Star

The ownership group in Detroit is the problem. The sale needs to be completed as soon as possible. And Dumars is not off the hook in Detriot. He's just got a lot of latitude because the front office is without direction. I would expect the Dumars will be replaced once the sale is complete because regardless of what happened in the past, their is no excusing the present.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:04 AM   #9
raptorfan_dr07
Local High School Star

Cleveland's roster may be significantly worse than ours, but they're in position to get a top 3 pick in this year's draft.
raptorfan_dr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:42 AM   #10
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorfan_dr07
Cleveland's roster may be significantly worse than ours, but they're in position to get a top 3 pick in this year's draft.

Starting line-up tonight:

Mo Williams
Manny Harris
Antawn Jamison
JJ Hickson
Ryan Hollins

...wow.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:46 AM   #11
bokes15
Playoffs!

Yeah, this is gonna be one of the worst years in Cavs history. A 112-57 drubbing tonight, Varejao out for the season... well... at least they are front runners for Barnes.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:51 AM   #12
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

It's good to know the Raptors only have the 3rd worst outlook in the entire NBA!
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:02 AM   #13
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
It's good to know the Raptors only have the 3rd worst outlook in the entire NBA!
But yet somehow it doesn't make me feel better about our own outlook. It just makes me feel worse about theirs.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:28 AM   #14
hayden695
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
But yet somehow it doesn't make me feel better about our own outlook. It just makes me feel worse about theirs.
It makes me feel worse about ours. We have the same problems as both of these teams, bad contracts and not alot of talent. Cleveland can get a nice pick, I am not sure where we are set up right now, but if it isn't top 5 then we are gonna be the same next year, average prospects, terrible contracts (or will we have some expirers next year?) and a bleak future.
hayden695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:05 AM   #15
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

The Cavs are the reason I feel iffy about tanking. Once a tanking franchise, forever a tanking franchise.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: