Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 01-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
brwnman

Default Let's list the improvable aspects of defense that Raptors cannot do.

List the culprits (if applicable)

1. Close out on shooters (Bayless, Calderon, Bargnani)

2. Fight screens (DeRozan [how is he THAT bad?], Barbosa, Calderon)

3. Stop penetration (Entire f*cking perimeter defense)

add more...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Default Re: Let's list the improvable aspects of defense that Raptors cannot do.

I can't think of a single thing the Raptors do well on defense. It seems like they force more turnovers than the last couple years. Maybe? Usually shitty teams are more active and "energy" based so you see more turnovers both ways.

Everything else is awful though. If you're going to give the opposing team a field goal attempt, try to limit it to a long 2pt jumper. That's the worst shot a team can take. The Raptors seem to do the exact opposite and either allow baskets close to the rim or 3's.

That's without actually looking at any numbers though and I'm too lazy and sick to look them up tonight. Gotta see some stats to see what's going on.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Default Re: Let's list the improvable aspects of defense that Raptors cannot do.

Yeah I agree with you Q. Teams either bury us in the paint or from deep. We are probably the worst at forcing opposing players to take jumpers/long 2s.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:33 PM   #4
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

"Don't worry guys, working on a trade and extension for Ryan Anderson. $9 million per year should be enough right?"
Old 01-22-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I can't think of a single thing the Raptors do well on defense. It seems like they force more turnovers than the last couple years. Maybe? Usually shitty teams are more active and "energy" based so you see more turnovers both ways.

Everything else is awful though. If you're going to give the opposing team a field goal attempt, try to limit it to a long 2pt jumper. That's the worst shot a team can take. The Raptors seem to do the exact opposite and either allow baskets close to the rim or 3's.

That's without actually looking at any numbers though and I'm too lazy and sick to look them up tonight. Gotta see some stats to see what's going on.

here's a question though - is that on players or game plan?

My thoughts is that its on players. Triano isn't a part of USA basketball for no reason. He;s obviously highly regarded as a basketball "mind".

IMO, not having someone who is able to defend at the beginning of the opponent's offensive set (Calderon) and at the end (AB) is a big issue. If one or the other were league average, team defense would look way better, but with The Turnstile anchoring this club in the paint, anythign that gets by the first line of defense turns into a pretty easy bucket.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:40 PM   #6
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Same old song and dance. With Calderon at the 1 and Bargnani at the 5, the team will be horrible at D. Those are the two most important positions and where a defensive stop can usually start or finish.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:48 PM   #7
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
here's a question though - is that on players or game plan?
I would say the players too. This composition of this roster isn't exactly ideal for winning basketball games.

Other than Amir Johnson, can you even call any of the other players "respectable" on defense? Maybe Joey Dorsey but his minutes are so limited that it doesn't even matter. Julian Wright? But he's so awful in every single other aspect of the game that he shouldn't be out there no matter how good his defense might be. Out of the regular rotation guys, Amir is the only one IMO.

The goal should be for your main players that will end up playing ~35 minutes per game to be at least average on defense. There is still hope for Demar since he's young and only in his 2nd season. We don't even know if Davis and Bayless will ever be guys that deserve those kinds of big minutes on a good team. Calderon, Bargnani, Kleiza and Amir have all topped out IMO while Weems has a limited ceiling. And all of those guys have at some point started for the Raptors this year.

I guess my point is that Colangelo really really sucks. I'm not sure if I've stated my stance on that before.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:39 AM   #8
bballnoob
Local High School Star

Something that really irked me was the zone D being played with LeBron on the bench. Was Jay afraid of Mario Chalmers breaking down the defense by himself? I know the Raps' individual D is horrible but allowing system players like Miller and House (who are also great shooters) play zone offense for no reason (especially when it was pretty much the only lineup the Raps could feasibly stop) was pretty senseless IMO.

The problems do run deep into the personnel but this coaching move still baffles me.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:47 AM   #9
Reef
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballnoob
Something that really irked me was the zone D being played with LeBron on the bench. Was Jay afraid of Mario Chalmers breaking down the defense by himself? I know the Raps' individual D is horrible but allowing system players like Miller and House (who are also great shooters) play zone offense for no reason (especially when it was pretty much the only lineup the Raps could feasibly stop) was pretty senseless IMO.

The problems do run deep into the personnel but this coaching move still baffles me.

Good point. With 3 point shooters like Chalmers, Miller, House, Jones on the floor, a zone is the absoloute worst defense to play.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:18 AM   #10
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

Q, since i've been here I don't recall there being even one thing you like about this team or this organization. Are you really a Raptors fan?
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #11
craigthomasb
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo

"Don't worry guys, working on a trade and extension for Ryan Anderson. $9 million per year should be enough right?"

you should use this pic and make a Bryan_Colangelo account
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #12
kmart
No props needed

^ Dude seriously. Quit calling out posters on the internet. Who cares what they say if you don't agree with it. Its a freakin forum. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on how the basketball team should be especially fans. And as of right now, their isn't much positive with our basketball team at all.

Its not like you have anything good to say too other than Barganni who was half the man that Bosh was, Grabbed half the rebounds Bosh did when he was here, and went goes to the free throw line half the time Bosh did when he was here.

Barganni would have to pull a miracle to be even close to the man that CB4 was.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #13
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

awww how cute, the son comes to the defense of his daddy
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:22 AM   #14
kmart
No props needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
awww how cute, the son comes to the defense of his daddy

Your just pissed off cause Bosh is the better player.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:40 AM   #15
T-Low
College superstar

Q is probably one of the most realistic Raptors fan on this board...
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: