Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    College superstar

Default How far am I from dunking?

Normally I can get 5-6 inches above the rim without a ball. I've been practicing jumping with the ball and I can now lay it up and grab the rim (3-4 inches above the rim).

Any recommendations?

Good High School Starter

Default Re: How far am I from dunking?

You'll never dunk in game.

You need to be about 9-10 inches over the rim without a ball to dunk.... and probably good foot over it to dunk in games (even on just a breakaway.)

NBA rookie of the year

You should be able to dunk now if you're 6 inches over the ring without a ball. I dunked for the first time when I was 13 and I was no 6 inches over the rim without a ball at that time.

College superstar

Almost got one down last night.

Legs felt stronger than usual though, but I had enough to get the ball over the hoop, but hit back rim and it bounced out.

Getting excited and frustrated at the same time.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    Almost got one down last night.

Legs felt stronger than usual though, but I had enough to get the ball over the hoop, but hit back rim and it bounced out.

Getting excited and frustrated at the same time.
    Out of general curiosity, how old and how tall are you?

College superstar

5'11 and 25.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    5'11 and 25.
    Word. Are you a one-foot or two-foot dunker?

Saw a basketball once

5-6 inches isn't really enough. you need more. weights and plyos are the answer. do some googling to come up with a good program. you need to be at least 8 inches above to dunk with one hand. have you ever heard of the jump manual? its $67 but most people who use it get great results and theres a 60 day money back guarantee if you don't see good results. you can read more it about it here.

http://www.realhoopstalk.com/store

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by realhoops
    5-6 inches isn't really enough. you need more. weights and plyos are the answer. do some googling to come up with a good program. you need to be at least 8 inches above to dunk with one hand. have you ever heard of the jump manual? its $67 but most people who use it get great results and theres a 60 day money back guarantee if you don't see good results. you can read more it about it here.

http://www.realhoopstalk.com/store
    OP, whatever you do, don't buy this crappy jump manual.. There's no need for a freaking manuual when it comes to jumping, the guy is just trying to spam about his shitty site.

Instead of this crappy manual, try dunking with smaller basketballs. When I was 13 I tried to dunk every freaking time I played but I didn't have it in me then so I started with a smaller ball to get the technique and jumping in and when I felt comfortable I tried the real deal.

While its true u dont need a program, the manual does stress the right principles at least. Basically its as simple as lifting heavy and jumping as high as you can and rest. You cznt overwork urself it will lead to injury. Work hard for a couple months and then take a month off. It takes maybe a week or two to get back wat u lost in that month and ur body will be recovered.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    Instead of this crappy manual, try dunking with smaller basketballs. When I was 13 I tried to dunk every freaking time I played but I didn't have it in me then so I started with a smaller ball to get the technique and jumping in and when I felt comfortable I tried the real deal.
    Not a bad idea. I didn't really begin throwing down in games all the time until I found the right form/technique developed while coaching girls basketball. I know, sounds ridiculous, right? But it worked. Then the dunks came pouring in after that.

College superstar

Gave up on ever dunking. I've actually lost a little vertical since starting to work out. I've been doing a lot of upper body as well as my legs.

I've gained maybe 10lbs of muscle, and I even though I feel faster and stronger, I've lost some vertical. I'm a better player now because of it.

I don't NEED to dunk, it just would have been really cool.

I do find it strange that I lost vertical though. I mean, I've been working out my legs as much as my upper body. I guess the added weight had more of a negative impact than my improvement in leg muscle?

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Word. Are you a one-foot or two-foot dunker?
    I jump higher off 1 foot. I can do both, I'm like an inch or so higher off 1 foot.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Not a bad idea. I didn't really begin throwing down in games all the time until I found the right form/technique developed while coaching girls basketball. I know, sounds ridiculous, right? But it worked. Then the dunks came pouring in after that.
    How tall are you?

I'm thinking that it takes a LOT to dunk if I'm only 5'11 (barefoot). Wingspan is just a bit above 5'11... so "normal" arm length for a 5'11 person.