Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #31
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

All Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: 2012-13 NBA Preview ESPN make their NBA champions picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
LA has the same problem the Celtics have: Age. I hope I'm wrong, as I don't want to see any Lakers hurt and certainly want the Cs to be healthy at the end of the season but players that are 34+ are officially old and it's a never a surprise to me to see a player in that age range miss games. Nash, Bryant, Pierce and KG are all guys who should have their minutes managed (something I'm not sure Bryant would even stand for) while the key guys for OKC and Miami are all in their primes with the possible exception of Wade and even he is still 30 and still capable of being All-NBA first team. The Cs and Lakers will either need to rest guys in the regular season and thus cede home court in later rounds or run vet stars to the ground and need Rondo to average 25 in the playoffs/Howard to become the centerpiece of the offense to have a deep run.

Meanwhile you can run James, Bosh, Durant and Westbrook as much as you want. James and Durant are the two guys in the league that can take anyone to 60 wins and then still average 30 all the way to the Finals. That's why their teams are the favorites. LA and Boston wouldn't be unbelievable upsets but the smart money is on experienced superstars that still have some youth over experienced stars in their mid-thirties.

Big issue is the LA bench is poor generally unless Jamison starts to play better so managing the mins will be tough without having more losses than normal.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #32
SilkkTheShocker
RAY ALLEN FOR 3..BANG!

SilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Lets be honest, Lakers would be lucky not to get swept in a Finals series against Miami.
SilkkTheShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #33
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Real Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
Lets be honest, Lakers would be lucky not to get swept in a Finals series against Miami.
That's stupid. LA could have 3 All-Stars coordinated by a great PG. Miami doesn't have a good guy to stop centers while LA has Dwight Howard. Ron Artest is one of the best guys you could put on James. I don't think LA beats OKC but if they get to the Finals Miami is going to have some major problems.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #34
fsvr54
F*ck Society

fsvr54 is considered somewhat coolfsvr54 is considered somewhat cool

Lakers are going to disappoint a lot of people.
fsvr54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #35
clipps
Good college starter

clipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputation

Laker fans in general whine too much. It's just a preseason prediction. There are "credible" sources predicting the Clippers make a low seed and getting bounced out in the first or second round when their roster and chemistry is clearly better than last season's Clippers and I can care less. Menopause will be great for some of you Laker fans.
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #36
rhythmic †hesis
Welcome to LA S. Nash!

rhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation here

The big four from Miami missed more games the last two seasons then the big four from LA, just saying.

Age is just a number, too many people using it as a reason as to why LA won't win.
rhythmic †hesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #37
DStebb716
Phil of the Future

DStebb716 is popular on this boardDStebb716 is popular on this boardDStebb716 is popular on this boardDStebb716 is popular on this boardDStebb716 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Net
Defending champs should always be favourites when bringing back the same core.

AND adding a piece like ray allen.

i almost always agree with this, unless it's one of those odd years when a team like dallas just fights tooth and nail for the championship
DStebb716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #38
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

All Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic †hesis
The big four from Miami missed more games the last two seasons then the big four from LA, just saying.

Age is just a number, too many people using it as a reason as to why LA won't win.

People are only using it due to how bad the bench have looked.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #39
DStebb716
Phil of the Future

DStebb716 is popular on this boardDStebb716 is popular on this boardDStebb716 is popular on this boardDStebb716 is popular on this boardDStebb716 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic †hesis

when people refer to age they aren't talking about injuries necessarily, but how the body slows down and you can't perform as you used to. with that said, i see la and miami as near equals.
DStebb716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #40
BlackVVaves
NBA lottery pick

BlackVVaves is a pretty well-respected posterBlackVVaves is a pretty well-respected posterBlackVVaves is a pretty well-respected posterBlackVVaves is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
LA has the same problem the Celtics have: Age. I hope I'm wrong, as I don't want to see any Lakers hurt and certainly want the Cs to be healthy at the end of the season but players that are 34+ are officially old and it's a never a surprise to me to see a player in that age range miss games. Nash, Bryant, Pierce and KG are all guys who should have their minutes managed (something I'm not sure Bryant would even stand for) while the key guys for OKC and Miami are all in their primes with the possible exception of Wade and even he is still 30 and still capable of being All-NBA first team. The Cs and Lakers will either need to rest guys in the regular season and thus cede home court in later rounds or run vet stars to the ground and need Rondo to average 25 in the playoffs/Howard to become the centerpiece of the offense to have a deep run.

Meanwhile you can run James, Bosh, Durant and Westbrook as much as you want. James and Durant are the two guys in the league that can take anyone to 60 wins and then still average 30 all the way to the Finals. That's why their teams are the favorites. LA and Boston wouldn't be unbelievable upsets but the smart money is on experienced superstars that still have some youth over experienced stars in their mid-thirties.

This, this, and this. Not sure why it's hard for rhythmic thesis to understand. It's one thing to be confident in your team, but it's another to turn a blind eye to their deficiencies and realistic weak points.

Far more has to go "right" for the Lakers or Celtics to be NBA Champions. For Miami, there are far less question marks generally, and with their core returning, including the best player in the league, it's far more plausible to identify them as title favorites. Even with the recent trade, OKC has far less proverbial hurdles to jump than the Lakers or Celtics.

Put it like this. The title is Miami's to lose; the eventual champion has to go through them to win, in my opinion. What that means is, teams will have to have a wave of focus, advantageous matchups, effort, gameplan, execution, and great fortune in terms of health to beat the Heat. Outside of Ray Allen and Wade's health, there is less that has to be accounted for in terms of the Heat's projected success.

Also rhythmic thesis, you can't really compare the predictions for the 2010-2011 seasons when the Lakers had repeated and Miami assembled their big three, to right now. Miami didn't just assemble a big three, they got the best player in the league. The best player in the league that quite frankly, at his very best, is just shoulders above most of the other players in the league. So, those predictions preceding the 2010-2011 season had less to do with the Lakers not being awarded respect, and more to do with the actuality of the matter, which was that Miami had assembled seemingly the best team in the league.

The Lakers may have assembled a great starting lineup, but as it stands now, today, they are far from having the best and most complete team. That bench is atrocious, and better get it's act together, or else there will have to be more emphasis on the old starter's minutes, meaning they will be more prone to injury as the season carries on, and be more likely to burnout once the post-season begins.

I do agree with you that ESPN spends it's free time between Lebron's legs though. It's quite pathetic actually. You can acknowledge a player's greatness without sucking them off so shamelessly.
BlackVVaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #41
BlackVVaves
NBA lottery pick

BlackVVaves is a pretty well-respected posterBlackVVaves is a pretty well-respected posterBlackVVaves is a pretty well-respected posterBlackVVaves is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
That's stupid. LA could have 3 All-Stars coordinated by a great PG. Miami doesn't have a good guy to stop centers while LA has Dwight Howard. Ron Artest is one of the best guys you could put on James. I don't think LA beats OKC but if they get to the Finals Miami is going to have some major problems.

QFT.
BlackVVaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #42
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

Miami/LA would be a great contrast of styles. Size vs speed/quickness on the perimeter. Even guys like Cole with his quickness could give us issues. Would be interesting.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #43
rhythmic †hesis
Welcome to LA S. Nash!

rhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation here

This thread brings me back 5 months ago, when I predicted LA will get both Nash and Howard. All I got were a bunch of troll responses, ridiculing me and calling me a homer. I said in July, before we even got Howard that LA will win a championship because I believe Nash's leadership, intelligence, skills and selfishness is exactly what LA was missing, even with Bynum at center.

Now with Howard? Sorry I don't fear Miami, is that hard to comprehend?
THEY DID NOTHING LAST SEASON THAT IMPRESSED ME; they did nothing that emphasized "dominance" to me. I consider them one of the weakest champions in ages. Wade/James is not Wade and James, it's one player playing his game at the sacrifice of the other. They both need the ball, so guess what people? Why the **** do you expect Wade to be back this season? He will still be a 22/5/5 SG because they both can't be ball dominant and succeed. That's something Miami learned last season, it's far more successful to give the ball to James and turn Wade into off-the-ball shooting guard. Fact is, they are very talented but aren't overly great as a unit. Bosh doesn't even bang in the post, so most of their points come off transition and three point shooting. They are a terrible half-court team, most of the time you see James or Wade dominate the ball and attempt an ugly shot from the perimeter.

Now we have Ray Allen? He had a pretty mediocre season last year with Boston, is as old as Nash but yet what do you hear? That he's the best shooter of all-time. I rarely see any emphasize him going down with an injury, or him losing his legs and not being as big of a factor.

Problem with this forum in particular is perception. Lakers are so hated on this forum that people loss their common sense and start trying to rationalize on how LA could potentially disappoint.

But it's all good, I'll be right here come next Spring, reminiscing on how I've stated this all along. The Lakers will dominate this season, maybe not until 2013 because it will take time...but when they figure out their roles and create synergy amongst each other, this team will wipe the ****ing floor with Miami.

Bookmark this.
rhythmic †hesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #44
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The reason why Miami are the favourites because they should have a piss easy time making it out of the East into the Finals. While the Lakers, IMO, are clearly the most talented team out West, they have tougher competition.

Miami isn't going to have play anyone as good as the Thunder or Spurs on their way. I'd be shocked if Miami isn't in the finals. If the Lakers don't make it, I'd be surprised but nothing too shocking given the talented teams in the West.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #45
clipps
Good college starter

clipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputation

Even when the Lakers finally get their chemistry together, one thing that Miami will crush the Lakers on is depth. Who expects Kobe and Nash to play 40+ minutes a night in the playoffs? The Lakers can put MWP on LeBron but who else is going to guard Labron? Maybe Kobe? The difference between this current fab 4 and the 2004 Lakers is that the 2004 Lakers had amazing depth and they still lost to the inferior Pistons in 5 games. I doubt the Lakers will even make it to the finals. The Lakers are going to dominate in the regular season when they play against shallow depth, but put them up against the Heat, Spurs, Thunder, Celtics and even the Nuggets(teams with tremendous depth), The Lakers will struggle. What will happen WHEN either Kobe, Pau, Howard, and/or Nash goes down with an injury? What is the Lakers second unit going to do against anybody? The Lakers are gonna stagger their stars with their bench? Kobe, Blake, Jamison, Hill, and some stiff as their center? Nash, Meeks, Jamison, Hill, Howard? Lol that's a 15-0 run waiting to happen. Rondo goes down, the Celtics and still do alright with Terry in the starting line-up. If Wade goes down, the Heat can still do alright. If Paul goes down, the Clippers can still do okay with Bledsoe or Chauncey. I'd love to see Kobe, Nash, MWP, and Gasol try to play 40+ mins a night in the playoffs after a 6 or 7 game series. Then their bench full of herp derps try to play 8.
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: