Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Serious playground baller

Default Re: Your Post-up Move and Etc?

I like Hakeem's spin move, you do have to be careful though because the NBA rule is a gather step and two steps and everything else is a gather and one step. Most people do walk on spin moves but the rules are also a little different in pickup games.

Learning to shoot layups TylerTheCreator's Avatar

Ive been dominating with a Dirk-like one footer lately.

Hakeem's Dream shake

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Ai2death
    However I tend to avoid facing up in the post, I struggle with the tighter space and am to afraid to risk turning the ball over.

How do you cope with the tight space/create your space of a face up Rake?
    I'm a big fan of the jab step and shot fakes. If things get too hairy (defender bodying during faceup), I'll rip the ball through or pivot toward their body to free things up a little bit.

The neat thing about the tighter space on a post face up is that it can be used to the offensive player's advantage. Having a defender that close means he's quite susceptible to virtually any movement, particularly if that defender is undersized (which is what leads me to post up in the first place).

A lot of it is a game of cat & mouse. If I face up the first time and have an open 14 footer available, I won't hesitate to fire. The following time I face, the jumper will be on the defender's mind, likely leading to closer coverage and a readiness to at least flinch a little when dealt a pump fake, which then leads to a one dribble path to the rim.

Kinda in the vein of this. Even if it's out of the high post with the defender sagging a touch, it's the same idea:

Learning to shoot layups

I don't have many post moves, but that considered I'm probably the best in that department of anyone that I've played with, not the best post player because I'm way to skinny although I can still back down guys bigger than me because I do it smart, but pretty much what I do is this, on the fastbreak I have a killer pump fake that I developed because of playing with my once taller and way more athletic older brother, now when ever i'm on a fastbreak and got a defender trailing I can either take it hard speeding up, or I keep the same speed and at the last second do the pump fake and go onto a pivot foot and I have great body control so I can extend really well and not get a travel, then I have a move in the mid post were I can do a Kareem pretty much, I turn around on my guy fake a pass one way, then fake step, then drive to the hoop for the easy lay in because he is way behind me, I also have in the low post the ability to do fake spins that many people buy, I don't why but my post moves are really effective, people just buy em and I guess it's because I kinda work on it alot whenever I am in warm ups, I will sit there in do moves in the post and such and I have them down really well that people just buy them real easy.

Serious playground baller

I watched an older guy challenge a younger, taller, more athletic player the other day. He started with his back to the basket and turned and scored several times. No fancy moves just turn and score. I seem to get blocked any time I attempt this though

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I'm a big fan of the jab step and shot fakes. If things get too hairy (defender bodying during faceup), I'll rip the ball through or pivot toward their body to free things up a little bit.

The neat thing about the tighter space on a post face up is that it can be used to the offensive player's advantage. Having a defender that close means he's quite susceptible to virtually any movement, particularly if that defender is undersized (which is what leads me to post up in the first place).

A lot of it is a game of cat & mouse. If I face up the first time and have an open 14 footer available, I won't hesitate to fire. The following time I face, the jumper will be on the defender's mind, likely leading to closer coverage and a readiness to at least flinch a little when dealt a pump fake, which then leads to a one dribble path to the rim.

Kinda in the vein of this. Even if it's out of the high post with the defender sagging a touch, it's the same idea:

I'm going to try a few face ups this Saturday with your tips. Thanks Rake

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

All those up and unders, fake spins and etc.. I watched so many hakeem vids and it paid off. Now Im so confortable in there. Awesome feeling to own someone with a crazy fake or a nice fadeaway.

This move looks flashy but it is so effective when people overplay you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l053a5oYxc

You can do it in the post for easy buckets especially if your off hand is accurate.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    This move looks flashy but it is so effective when people overplay you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l053a5oYxc

You can do it in the post for easy buckets especially if your off hand is accurate.
    I've had difficulty getting comfortable with that one. It's an unnatural pivot direction and it leads to a tough, in-between leaning jumper. It'll sound silly, but I almost feel like I'd be better off passing the ball to myself off the backboard for a layup in that situation.

Yeah, I'm a fan of the reverse pivot because it's so unconventional. Not many average joes know how to guard it.