Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    ~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Default Re: Checkmate Atheists!

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    Can't you just believe in evolution...?
    Evolution doesn't explain what caused the Big Bang or why anything at all exists.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    There is no atheist, only agnostics.
    Atheists ARE agnostics.

Atheism is a lack of belief. Agnosticism is a lack of knowledge. Atheists lack belief in theism. But they're also agnostics as they lack knowledge of what exists outside of our known universe.

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    If you don't know, you're an agnostic, not an atheist

Atheists claim there is no creator, that space, time, light, matter, etc just came to exist from nothing.
    No, not nothing, a singularity, a superheavy, superdense point with no dimensions in Euclid's definition of space. Basically everything was provably there, but unthinkable close together.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Atheists ARE agnostics.

Atheism is a lack of belief. Agnosticism is a lack of knowledge. Atheists lack belief in theism. But they're also agnostics as they lack knowledge of what exists outside of our known universe.
    No there is a difference between the two.

A true atheist literally believes there is no creator(s)

No there is a difference between the two.

A true atheist literally believes the is no creator(s)
    A = without. Theism = belief in god/gods, roughly.

Lack of belief of existence =/= affirmative belief in non-existence.

A = without. Theism = belief in god/gods, roughly.

Lack of belief of existence =/= affirmative belief in non-existence.
    Listen, if you think 'maybe' there is a God, not sure...you're not really an atheist

You should claim agnostic...

If that's your belief and you insist on claiming atheism, then you must really just like the word atheist or something and the way you think people view you with that title

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

There is but one God and he is the creator of every living thing in the Universe. Yes, including us with all our faults. This is why he sent down his only son our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ to explain to us about the Father and the Holy Spirit and to explain to us that our life has meaning and that it just wasn't happenstance.

Whether you believe or do not believe, at least know this. God believes in you.

Listen, if you think 'maybe' there is a God, not sure...you're not really an atheist

If that's your belief and you insist on claiming atheism, then you must really just like the word atheist or something and the way you think people view you with that title
    This

Evolution doesn't explain what caused the Big Bang or why anything at all exists.
    Sure it does...

The theory that life evolved from bacteria millions and millions of years ago and evolved into what we are now is an explanation as to how we got here.

It doesn't explain the Big Bang, but really, shit just happening is an explanation. Planets collide into other planets. Stars die. Shit happens.

I don't refer to myself as an atheist... but the word means what it means.

Let's simplify this. I lack a belief of the existence of your brother. Maybe you have a brother, maybe you don't. I don't believe you have one and I don't believe that you don't. I have a complete lack of belief on the matter.

Some atheists do also have the additional belief that no god exists. Some atheists have no opinion at all on it.

Let's simplify this. I lack a belief of the existence of your brother. Maybe you have a brother, maybe you don't. I don't believe you have one and I don't believe that you don't. I have a complete lack of belief on the matter.

Some atheists do also have the additional belief that no god exists. Some atheists have no opinion at all on it.
    Myself. I don't believe there is a God. I don't believe there isn't. I don't care one way or the other. I'd like to believe there is a God, but I haven't seen any evidence of it so... I just assume its not real.

This. "Belief" is a binary concept: you either have it, or you do not. I can want to believe and want there to be a God (and even act as if there were) and still be an atheist because I lack belief.

You can't "kind of" or "maybe" believe something. Belief is a feeling or sentiment and not a wholly rational position.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    This. "Belief" is a binary concept: you either have it, or you do not. I can want to believe and want there to be a God (and even act as if there were) and still be an atheist because I lack belief.

You can't "kind of" or "maybe" believe something. Belief is a feeling or sentiment and not a wholly rational position.
    It is completely possible to believe that "there could be a higher power, but maybe not, it's impossible to know"

But maybe you're just wanting to debate the semantics of the word "believe"

regardless from your point...there is a clear difference from an individual who -believes- that no higher power exists, and an individual who believes that a higher power MIGHT exist.

^^^ the spectrum is as such

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    There is but One God (before and after Eternity, irrespective of time) and he is the Creator, Sustainer, Nourisher, Protector, Maintainer; of every living thing in the Universe. Yes, including and especially, man, (who is highest of all creatures in his potential for knowledge and spiritual connection with Him) with all our faults and shortcomings. This is why he sent down over 124,000 Prophets as guides (before the Last Messenger) including Jesus Christ son of Mary, Angels, Divine Books (Torah, Injil, Qu'ran), has given man a yearning to live forever and his actions in this life will sow the seeds for the Hereafter, and has written each individual's Fate.

To ponder upon the origins and destination of creation is also one of His commands.

Whether you believe or do not believe, at least know this. God loves you. Far More than a mother loves their baby..
    Good start, Pat. Adjusted to be more accurate. It can still be improved upon.