Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any there any engineering majors on ISH? Is there a book?

I'm taking my first engineering class this term and I'm so lost. Calculus and Chemistry have been a breeze so far but this class is causing me problems. Is it normal for a class to be taught with no book?

My engineering teacher does not use a book. We use some website where we read his notes. Then he gives us these problems and half of them can't be done with what we learn on the notes. Is this how schools teach engineering? They give you a few PDF files to read and see if you can teach yourself? The class average for the first quiz was a 60. Is this class BS or is this normal?

Default Re: Any there any engineering majors on ISH? Is there a book?

Sounds pretty normal.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    I'm taking my first engineering class this term and I'm so lost. Calculus and Chemistry have been a breeze so far but this class is causing me problems. Is it normal for a class to be taught with no book?

My engineering teacher does not use a book. We use some website where we read his notes. Then he gives us these problems and half of them can't be done with what we learn on the notes. Is this how schools teach engineering? They give you a few PDF files to read and see if you can teach yourself? The class average for the first quiz was a 60. Is this class BS or is this normal?
    Yep, totally normal.

Most, if not all of mine had textbooks. Can you give an example of the types of problems and what is given in your notes?

All the notes are on this page: http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~me120/doku.php

We've been learning about electric circuits (direct current). How to calculate voltage drops. One of my first assignments I programmed a few LEDs to turn on and off at different times and then loop.

The homework due later today is supposed to be more complex programming and I can't figure out what any of the notes mean. It's not really a tutorial. It's just a lot of random code that I don't understand.

I need a book to reference when I take a class. I need practice problems. There isn't anyway to build skills. We just get a problem, do it once, and move on to the next thing. So far I've learned Ohms law, how to calculate power, voltage drops, resistance, and current. That's it. This programming stuff has me confused. He wants us to use Excel, a program I have never used before, and then write out linear equations which we will then have to rewrite to use on our Arduino kits.

I'm thinking I will need to retake this class and we aren't even half way through the term. I like engineering, but it's frustrating because if you don't get something there are almost no resources to find the out how to solve a problem.

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

How are other classmates doing? Maybe they can help you.

Love Live Life

What type of engineering?

I was doing computer Engineering but shit I hated Cal so it didn't turn out too good.

I know people that's dumb as shit that graduated in mechanical, civil, and electrical engineering.

So you just gotta hang in there.

My biggest problem was the cal and the other math.

Most teachers teach differently from others

코비=GOAT

All the notes are on this page: http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~me120/doku.php

We've been learning about electric circuits (direct current). How to calculate voltage drops. One of my first assignments I programmed a few LEDs to turn on and off at different times and then loop.

The homework due later today is supposed to be more complex programming and I can't figure out what any of the notes mean. It's not really a tutorial. It's just a lot of random code that I don't understand.

I need a book to reference when I take a class. I need practice problems. There isn't anyway to build skills. We just get a problem, do it once, and move on to the next thing. So far I've learned Ohms law, how to calculate power, voltage drops, resistance, and current. That's it. This programming stuff has me confused. He wants us to use Excel, a program I have never used before, and then write out linear equations which we will then have to rewrite to use on our Arduino kits.

I'm thinking I will need to retake this class and we aren't even half way through the term. I like engineering, but it's frustrating because if you don't get something there are almost no resources to find the out how to solve a problem.
    http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/HomePage
    If you don't understand the programming language then learn it.
    Plenty of free resources to learn excel on the internet. There should be free classes at your uni as well.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

i remember getting a 23/100 an a physics exam back in college and it curved out to a C.

Engineering school is hard and tedious as f*ck. If math is your thing, go for it. If you are just OK at math or you think you can just deal with it for four years you should change your major.

dude, engineering is such a broad term, like mathematics, or science. Tell us what type of engineering you are studying.

Banned

Give up and become a mailman.

PM Gobb for tips on passing the civil servant's exam.

1. Major in engineering.
    2. ???
    3. P[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]ssy

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
    Give up and become a mailman.
    We're not p[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]ssies, we don't give up.

Initech's gonna find out the hard way that I'm not a p[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]ssy if they don't start treating their software engineers better.

Calculus and Chemistry have been a breeze so far

I think you'll be alright. Those classes basically ruined my life

i did AVR Assembler not Arduino, but i guess it's pretty similar

Chemistry is a bitch