Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: What Could Have Been....

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    T-Mac was a better playmaker and a better athlete.
    Durant isn't as athletic but at his size and length he is plenty athletic.

Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

Maurice Stokes
    Ralph Sampson
    Richard Dumas
    Yao Ming
    Arvydas Sabonis
    Bill Walton
    Penny Hardaway
    Brandon Roy

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Legend
    Richard Dumas, had a great rookie season and went to the finals against MJ in 1993, he put up very respectable games against the Bulls.

Drugs did him.
    Don't know how good he could've/would've been, but I remember being surprisingly impressed a couple of years ago when I re-watched the '93 Finals by Dumas' performance. He's one of those guys when I heard his name again I sort of remembered, but one I had completely forgotten about otherwise.

For me the answer to this type of question, or at least the most intriguing player to speculate about, is Bill Walton.

Out of all the "what could've been" players, he's the only one I think legitimately was on his way to a top 10 all-time career. From what I've read, heard, and the very little I've seen, he was pretty similar to Bill Russell from what I can remember. He wasn't a high volume scoring big (although he averaged around 19 or 20 a game before injuries took over), but he was an excellent defender, high IQ player, and a center you could run your offense through because he was a great passer. He averaged 19-14-4-3 in 1977 on his way to a championship and Finals MVP and he was just 24 years old. Next year I believe the Blazers got off to a 50-10 start before he was really setback with injuries, but he still won MVP and averaged 19-13-5-3. From what I've read, the Blazers were pretty big championship favorites before Walton got hurt, so there's a better than good chance he would've been a 1x MVP, 2x Finals MVP, and 2x champion by the age of 25.

I really don't think people realize just how great Grant Hill was. I mean, this guy was the total package, the prototype superstar small forward of the modern era. He was kind of like LeBron lite (not quite as big and strong) but he could do it all and I have no doubt that, had he stayed healthy he would have retired with more than a couple championships/MVPs.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by Demitri98
    I really don't think people realize just how great Grant Hill was. I mean, this guy was the total package, the prototype superstar small forward of the modern era. He was kind of like LeBron lite (not quite as big and strong) but he could do it all and I have no doubt that, had he stayed healthy he would have retired with more than a couple championships/MVPs.
    I'm with you on this post. I grew up with Grant Hill, Ken Griffey Jr, Tiger Woods, and Jeff Gordon. And all of the mentioned players had tremendous potential and skills. Unfortunately injuries did them all. G.Hill in Detroit was ahead in triple doubles over Kidd at the time; and we all know how great Kidd is at triple doubles. First step, crossover, and versatility were elite. Only wish he was a bit more selfish and would not defer to Stackhouse at the time.

Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

Micheal Ray Richardson

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Don't know how good he could've/would've been, but I remember being surprisingly impressed a couple of years ago when I re-watched the '93 Finals by Dumas' performance. He's one of those guys when I heard his name again I sort of remembered, but one I had completely forgotten about otherwise.
    Likewise, I watched those finals recently and was impressed with Dumas.

Quote Originally Posted by Smook A.
    If him and Yao stayed healthy then he'd have 1-2 rings with Houston. Also I think TALENT-WISE McGrady could've been a top 10 greatest player ever
    How does his TALENT change? You mean talent wise he IS one of the top 10 greatest? "Could have been" ?

Banned

Not sure if mentioned, but Dyess had retarded hops.