Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Do those "all natural" folk really bug you?

In my industry we call them granolas. Those type of people who are always pushing all natural, gluten free, non-GMO.....
    I find that most of them are ignorant to the facts. Usually know very little yet it gives them a sense of entitlement. They are constantly looking down at others.

What category do you guys fit in? How do you view these followers?

Default Re: Do those "all natural" folk really bug you?

What are the facts?

Banned

These morons wear shirts, clothing and shoes manufactured in sweatshops. Hypocrites of the highest order. Also most of them do it not because they care about changing the world, but only because its fashionable and they want to fit in with the other granolas. Passion for changing the world is a front that most of them hide behind. Of course I am hopeful that some actually do care about changing the world, but I am being a realist when I say that they don't.

It's no different from goths, preps and emos.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    What are the facts?
    There are facts that support both sides of the fence. It all depends on what you subscribe to. Naturally you'll research the facts that support your POV. I find that the granolas tend to exaggerate their facts, or at least come from a source that over exaggerates.

Banned

There is a book called Brandwashed you all should read, about marketting. There was one study done that all people, yes including those who identify themselves as environmentally conscious, are less likely to pick out more expensive organic or "free range" items if no one is around to see them put it in to their shopping basket.

People are more likely to choose the expensive organic items if people are watching them and the area is crowded.

Being organic and healthy has almost become a status symbol of wealth. You have to be able to afford to pay the extra to "save the world".

It really is brilliant marketing. So many morons are falling for these scams every day.

The whole eat natural thing is a sham.

But are you not in the supplement industry? Which is an even bigger sham?

Not really, since it doesn't affect me at all. They have their preferences and I have mine. That said, I think a lot of them are being taken advantage of.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    The whole eat natural thing is a sham.

But are you not in the supplement industry? Which is an even bigger sham?
    I wouldn't say the supplement indistry is a sham. It's only a sham to the people who look to it for 100% of results.

The most purchased product in our industry is protein powder. Whey protein is no different than any form of meat/vegetable protein when it broken down into it's components. Therefor it's food. Is food a sham?

I think the people who are uneducated in supplements usually resort to calling it a sham

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

They don't really bug me but i do agree for the majority of those people its clearly more of a image they are trying to achieve rather than actually ensuring they aren't consuming those nasty "toxins". F*ck, any local butcher will have meat cheaper than chain grocers and most likely locally sourced. Do I ever see those "all-natural" folk at the butcher shop? Nope, but i do seem them at whole foods paying out the ass for trendy food products with meaningless labels.

slightly off topic side note: My garden harvest this year was epic. I think i can now call myself an amateur organic farmer.

new agers irritate me more than the all-natural crowd though.

Not really because I have gotten some really good food recommendations from them, especially gluten free stuff. I have a digestive condition that has forced me to be more aware of how certain foods interact with my body and a lot of the recommendations from "all-natural" food people have done well for me.

As far as it being an environmentally conscious lifestyle...I don't really buy into it. I usually just try to buy locally grown produce because it travels a shorter distance. The transportation pollution is the big killer.
    Last edited by Jailblazers7; 09-11-2013 at 01:24 PM.

My wife is obsessed with buying our baby nothing but organic, sh!t is putting me in the poorhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    I think the people who are uneducated in supplements usually resort to calling it a sham
    Please. Such a cop out.

The supplement crowd are just as much "food extremist snobs" as those all natural hippies. Which is exactly the reason you loathe them so much, you are just a different branch of food nut.

There are facts that support both sides of the fence. It all depends on what you subscribe to. Naturally you'll research the facts that support your POV. I find that the granolas tend to exaggerate their facts, or at least come from a source that over exaggerates.
    I would imagine that 99% of supplement "facts" come from studies commissioned by the industry. Then again, I'm not really up on peer reviewed nutrition and biochem studies.

Well I guess I'm one of those types. If I can help it, I would rather buy food with less preservatives, less processed and organic ingredients. I don't push my belief onto others and let them eat whatever they desire.

I wouldn't say the supplement indistry is a sham. It's only a sham to the people who look to it for 100% of results.

The most purchased product in our industry is protein powder. Whey protein is no different than any form of meat/vegetable protein when it broken down into it's components. Therefor it's food. Is food a sham?

Commercial Whey Protein is a sham. You're pretty uneducated yourself.