Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Manny Pacquiao vs. David Diaz for the WBC Lightweight Championship

What you need to know about Saturday's fight in Las Vegas.

By Bill Dwyre, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

June 28, 2008

MANNY PACQUIAO VS. DAVID DIAZ

* When, where, how much --
    Saturday night at Mandalay Bay Events Center; telecast on HBO pay-per-view starting at 6 (Pacific time) at a cost of $49.95. Main event will start around 8:30.

* Story line --Pacquiao, who started his career as a 107-pound boxer, will try to add to his world titles at 112, 122 and 130 pounds by taking away David Diaz's 135-pound title. Diaz, a former Olympian, has only recently emerged as a main-event fighter and is the underdog.

* Friday's weigh-in -- Both fighters looked sculpted. Pacquiao came in at 134 1/2 pounds, Diaz right at 135. Afterward, Diaz and his entourage headed for a sit-down meal in a restaurant. Pacquiao went back stage, sat down at a table with a few friends and started eating.

* Best weigh-in moment -- Undercard boxer Stevie Luevano of La Puente, having to make 126 pounds for his featherweight title fight with Mario Santiago of Puerto Rico, weighed 126 1/2 . He stepped back, was shielded by various officials, stripped off his underwear and weighed 126.

* Other undercard fights to watch -- Humberto Soto of Mexico vs. Francisco Lorenzo of the Dominican Republic for a title at 130 pounds; American heavyweights Tye Fields and Monte Barrett. Fields is 6 feet 9 and a former basketball player.

* Friday's sideshows -- 1) The goat used by promoters to try and entice Cubs' fan Diaz to claim that a victory would end the curse of the goat that some Cubs fans blame for their team's ongoing poor fortune was turned away at the door of the weigh-in by Mandalay Bay officials. 2) Former champion Fernando Vargas, who fought in several light and middleweight divisions and is here to back Olympic teammate Diaz, looked as if any comeback effort would have to be as a heavyweight.

* Knock Out Stats -- Fight stats show that out of 46 wins, Pacquiao had 35 knockouts. Diaz had 17 out of 34 wins.

Manny Pacquiao vs. David Diaz: Saturday, June 28 Live on Pay-Per-View

“Boxing fans recognize that in Pacquiao vs. Diaz you have one of the sport’s best fighters and biggest attractions moving up in weight to challenge a bigger, stronger champion,” said HBOPPV’s Mark Taffet. “It’s a very intriguing proposition and we look forward to the event."

Dubbed "Republica Enemy No. 1," Pacquiao (46-3-2, 34 KOs), from General Santos City, Philippines, has blitzed through the best fighters Mexico has had to offer since 2003 including Erik Morales (KO 3, TKO 10), Marco Antonio Barrera (TKO 11, W 12), Juan Manuel Marquez (W 12, D 12), Oscar Larios (W 12), Emanuel Lucero (TKO 3), Hector Velazquez (TKO 6) and Jorge Solis (KO 8). Pacquiao was named 2006 Fighter of the Year by the Boxing Writers Association of America and The Ring magazine for his two spectacular knockout victories of Mexican icon and three-division champion Morales, as well as his dominating 12-round unanimous decision over former world champion Larios. The hard-hitting southpaw has won 22 of his last 23 bouts including 2007 victories over Barrera and Solis. Pacquiao’s 12-round split decision victory over Marquez earlier this year not only avenged a disputed draw from their 2004 battle, it also made Pacman a four-division world champion.

Diaz (34-1-1, 17 KOs), from Chicago, will be making the second defense of his title. He successfully defended it against the three-division world champion Morales last summer winning a hard-fought unanimous decision over the future Hall of Famer. Although behind on the scorecards early, Diaz remained cool and rallied before the raucous hometown Chicago crowd of 10,000 to capture the decision. He swept the championship rounds and won the decision by scores of 114-113, 115-113 and 115-112. With the victory, Diaz cemented his place among the best lightweights in the sport and one of the most popular and respected athletes in the sports-crazy town of Chicago. A member of the 1996 U.S. Olympic team, Diaz, with 12 years of experience as a professional, is more than prepared to handle the pressures that come with battling boxing’s pound-for-pound most exciting fighter.

The Pacquiao vs. Diaz pay-per-view telecast beginning at 9 p.m. ET / 6 p.m. PT, has a suggested retail price of $49.95, will be produced and distributed by HBO Pay-Per-View and will be available to 71 million pay-per-view homes. The telecast will be available in HD-TV for those viewers who can receive HD. HBO Pay-Per-View is the leading supplier of event programming to the pay-per-view industry. For Pacquiao vs. Diaz fight week updates, log on to www.hbo.com.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-spw...,7051445.story

Live Streaming Videos: http://www.justin.tv/feu11
    Last edited by Lebron23; 06-28-2008 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Change the title

Default Re: Lethal Combination: Manny Pacquiao vs. David Diaz for the WBC Lightweight Champs.

Celtics Big Three to root for Pacman

Sunday, June 29, 2008

LAS VEGAS –
    The Celtics are in town to watch Manny Pacquio fight David Diaz at Mandanay Bay Saturday evening.

If plans push through, the newly crowned NBA champions from Boston, led by the Big Three (Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen) will be at ringside to root for the Filipino challenger.

According to Pacquiao’s pointman in Los Angeles, Winchell Campos, 16 tickets have already been reserved for members of the Boston Celtics, most of whom are already in town as of Friday.

“They all wanted to see Pacquiao fight, knowing that Pacquiao is a big fan of the team,” said Campos who said he personally talked to Garnett over the phone on the eve of the fight.

Pacquiao knew of the Celtics’ plan to come and see him fight, and even offered them tickets. But later on Mandalay Bay said it would provide the ringside tickets for the reigning world champions.

Campos said they are working it out with Mandalay Bay officials how the Celtics, or at least a few of them, could get inside Pacquiao’s dressing room before or after the scheduled 12-rounder.

Pacquiao is a big Celtics fan, and in the recent finals against the Los Angeles Lakers he kept on rooting for the men in green.

When he checked at Mandalay Bay last Monday, he talked about the recent NBA Finals, how he knew even before the start that the Lakers would find no answer to the Celtics’ “deeper bench.”

Pacquiao proudly wore a Celtics cap that night, the cap being presented to him by a friend during his last day of training at the Wild Card Gym in LA.

On that day, as he saw his trainer Freddie Roach trying on the cap, Pacquiao yelled, “Hey, coach that’s mine!” – Abac Cordero

http://philstar.com/index.php?Sports...id=20080628153

Decent playground baller krazy19's Avatar

Default Re: Lethal Combination: Manny Pacquiao vs. David Diaz for the WBC Lightweight Champs.

Diaz looks like way bigger than Pacquiao. I've seen Diaz before and that guy did not look like that in any previous fights. They better check that guy after the fight. I bet you'll find something illegal in him.

PM ISH's #1 Goon a Link.

Lethal Combination

National High School Star

HAve the fight ordered in HD PPV. Gonna be a wicked fight.

Goodluck to Pacman, and please do your best to win the WBC Lightweight Championship againts David Diaz.

This is one of the most anticipated fight of your boxing career, and i know deep inside that you really have a heart of a true champion.

GO MANNY win this one not only for the Filipino people, but to all of the boxing fans all over the world.

Manny Pacquiao's Quote

"It's very important to me and my country to put my name into boxing history," Pacquiao said last week, referring to his upcoming challenge of WBA lightweight titlist David Diaz."

"Well, first, I don't want to compare my abilities to another boxer," he said of the pound-for-pound debate. "My goal is to give a good fight in every fight and to get in shape and to show the people that I'm a good boxer.

"I would just say thank you to people for believing in me, pound-for-pound," Pacquiao said humbly. "All I'm trying to do is make people satisfied with my performance, not only in the ring, but as a champion outside the ring. That's what I want to do the most."

Bob Arum's Quote

"This attempt to win the fourth title would indeed set history," Arum said. "No fighter from Asia, let alone the Philippines, has ever won championships in four different weight divisions. And Manny, if he wins this fight, this will indeed be an historic feat."

WBC Lightweight Champion, David Diaz's Quote

"He's trying to make history for his country by becoming the first Asian to win four titles in four different divisions," Diaz said. "I think he's going to come very well-prepared for this fight. And I place him as one of the best, if not the best, right now since Floyd Mayweather retired."

WBC Super Featherweight Champion, Edwin Valero's Quote

"It's a sign of greatness. Pacquiao's a phenomenon. Doing something like that is almost unheard of. It's like Oscar De La Hoya: He started at 130 and was fighting for titles at 160. That's something special. Pacquiao is special."

pacquiao is looking a little chunkier fighting in his 1st lightweight bout. his face looks a little rounder to me. i predict his ring weight to be at 145+.

http://www.justin.tv/elbeborandy

MANNY PACQUIAO vs. DAVID DIAZ PPV LINKS

I hope the referee isn't related to Tim Donaghy.

"It's a sign of greatness. Pacquiao's a phenomenon. Doing something like that is almost unheard of. It's like Oscar De La Hoya: He started at 130 and was fighting for titles at 160. That's something special. Pacquiao is special.

Announcers were saying that every fighter within 130 lbs want to fight manny.

Mabuhay Pilipinas.

DD looks like a beast tho. looks way biggr than 135 lbs.

Soto give Lorenzo a wicked beating.

I hope Lorenzo is alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Soto give Lorenzo a wicked beating.
    Blood everywhere. Cot dammn

Mabuhay Pilipnas