Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-26-2018, 07:18 AM   #16
dunksby
NBA Legend

Default Re: East Area Rapist arrested in decades-old case, source says

Former cop, I wonder how many of his cop buddies knew about it but kept silent.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:02 AM   #17
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

I'm a big True Crime fan, and for years this case just didn't interest me much. It wasn't until the DNA match came out that tied him as both the EAR and the ONS that I got intrigued. Oddly, there was a docu-series that came out on the ID channel on the case that started in March. I watched 3 or 4 episodes just a few weekends ago.

I'm also really intrigued by what broke the case finally. The show keeps talking about having the DNA and running against various databases. I wonder if he was finally in one of them. But I don't think that's it.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:25 AM   #18
UK2K
NBA Legend

Doesn't tell much but...

Quote:
The case was cracked in the past week, Sheriff Scott Jones of Sacramento County said on Wednesday, when investigators identified Mr. DeAngelo and were able to match his DNA with the murders of Lyman and Charlene Smith in Ventura County in 1980.

“We found the needle in the haystack and it was right here in Sacramento,” said Anne Marie Schubert, the Sacramento district attorney, who helped organize a task force two years ago that included investigators from across the state as well as the F.B.I. A DNA database showed links to other murders in Southern California, the authorities said Wednesday.

A series of rapes in an old gold mining area east of Sacramento in 1976 were first linked by the authorities for their geographic proximity, the similar description of the rapist — a white male with blond hair who was just under six feet tall — and the peculiar and cruel rituals that he inflicted on his victims. His victims included women home alone and women at home with their children. The suspect went on to rape women with their husbands present and then murder them both. He is also thought to have burglarized more than 120 homes.

He became an infamous figure, sometimes known as the Golden State Killer and other times as the East Area Rapist and the Original Night Stalker. His planning was meticulous and he seemed to know precise details about his victims’ schedules. They described the gravelly, angry whisper that he used as he tormented them. He wore gloves and a mask and was a predator with quirks: As his victims lay terrified, he would pause for a snack of crackers after raping them. He placed a teacup and saucer on the bodies of some of his victims and threatened them with murder if he heard the ceramic rattle.

With communities panicking — at one point his assaults averaged two victims a month — the authorities hired a range of experts to help them break the case, among them a military special forces officer and a psychic.

Then, when the rapes and murders appeared to end in 1986, the case went cold.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:57 PM   #19
Long Duck Dong
Local High School Star

So he went on a rape spree in Sacramento while he was a cop? And didn't move on to Southern California until after he was fired from the force?

I was watching an old Dateline documentary. It said they had a town hall meeting in Sacramento about the rape spree. And that one angry man spoke up and asked how the men could just watch their wives being raped and do nothing. He apparently said that it didn't matter if he was tied up, he'd find a way to get loose and save his wife or die trying. A short time later the EAR went into that very man's house, tied him up and raped his wife in front of him. So law enforcement always suspected he was at that very meeting, and looked into the people who were there for suspects. I don't know the exact timeline but it looks like they were probably right. But I bet law enforcement wasn't looking at themselves!
Long Duck Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:21 PM   #20
senelcoolidge
NBA rookie of the year

coasttocoast am had a 2 hour program early this morning that was very good.

He was a cop in Exeter which was close to Visalia where the Visalia ransacker terrorized people..he killed one guy.

Than he became a cop in Auburn..and this is where he was the EAR/ONS. Sacramento..northern California mostly.

He was later fired as a cop for shoplifting a hammer and dog repellent. He took breaks between the time that his first two daughters were born. He took a 5 year break from 81-86. He would sit in bushes sometimes for hours prowling his victims. He once took the bullets out of one of his victims gun before they came home. He liked to spend time in people's homes.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:52 PM   #21
Long Duck Dong
Local High School Star

This story is incredibly interesting and should me number one in the news in my not so popular opinion. But I guess with Trump, Cosby, Kanye and North Korea, the media has its hands full. I'm dying to hear the details that follow in the upcoming days.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:21 PM   #22
Long Duck Dong
Local High School Star

They say his granddaughter recently moved in with him. If she was troubled and had her DNA put into the law enforcement network, could they have got him that way? Is the latest DNA database system able to link individuals by family members? Apparently they were following him around for several days trying to get his discarded DNA.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:29 PM   #23
Facepalm
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong
So he went on a rape spree in Sacramento while he was a cop? And didn't move on to Southern California until after he was fired from the force?

I was watching an old Dateline documentary. It said they had a town hall meeting in Sacramento about the rape spree. And that one angry man spoke up and asked how the men could just watch their wives being raped and do nothing. He apparently said that it didn't matter if he was tied up, he'd find a way to get loose and save his wife or die trying. A short time later the EAR went into that very man's house, tied him up and raped his wife in front of him. So law enforcement always suspected he was at that very meeting, and looked into the people who were there for suspects. I don't know the exact timeline but it looks like they were probably right. But I bet law enforcement wasn't looking at themselves!

Crazy
Facepalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:17 PM   #24
Im Still Ballin
-ℬiℊ-

Apparently the DNA was from an ancestry type website via a relative

LOOOOL
Im Still Ballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:55 AM   #25
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Relative's DNA from genealogy websites cracked East Area Rapist case, DA's office says

The investigation was conducted over a long period of time as officials in Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert's office and crime lab explored online family trees that appeared to match DNA samples from the East Area Rapist's crimes, Grippi said. They then followed clues to individuals in the family trees to determine whether they were potential suspects.

The process finally came to fruition last Thursday, when the investigation focused on the possibility that DeAngelo might be a suspect, a suspicion bolstered by the fact that he had lived in areas where the attacks occurred and was in the right age range, Grippi said.

Is this kind of like invasion of privacy? Can the police just... use people's DNA when they want?
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:55 AM   #26
Im Still Ballin
-ℬiℊ-

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
Is this kind of like invasion of privacy? Can the police just... use people's DNA when they want?
There must be some kind of fine print when you send in your DNA
Im Still Ballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:25 PM   #27
HarryBergeron
Underhandicapped

Never let the eternal enemy get their hands in your DNA profile.
HarryBergeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:12 AM   #28
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Here's a link to a surprisingly good article on how they finally got him. Surprising because it's a homepage clickbait set up, but it's a well written account.

I'm really unsure where I come down on the invasion of privacy element of this. It reads less invasive than it plays in my head.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/...fnj?li=BBnb7Kz

Quote:
Holes began researching and hit upon a novel tool in GEDmatch, a no-frills website that allows users to upload their genetic information and search a database of roughly 1 million profiles for possible family connections.

He prepared to sell the un******or*tho*dox idea to officials to get a sample of the killer’s DNA.

“We ended up going on a road show,” Holes said.

Holes and an FBI lawyer found a partner in Ventura County last summer. A meticulous pathologist had put a duplicate evidence kit from the rape and murder of Charlene and Lyman Smith in a freezer in 1980. Many other DNA samples from the case had been depleted over the years.

A lab converted the sample into a format that could be read by GEDmatch, which analyzes hundreds of thousands of DNA datapoints to determine relatedness. Holes waited anxiously as he fed in the killer’s profile.

Holes, prepared for another dead end, was heartened when the analysis returned. It wasn’t a close match, but the site found 10 to 20 distant relatives of the killer, roughly the equivalent of third cousins.

Holes knew that if he traced back the lineages of distant cousins far enough, he could find a common ancestor they shared with the killer. That turned out to be great-great-great grandparents from the early 1800s.

A daunting task lay ahead as Holes and his team began to trace offspring to the present day to find potential suspects. That meant filling in thousands of blanks.

“When you go that far back in time, you have trees that grow huge,” Holes said.

They used census data, old newspaper clippings and a gravesite locator to find the deceased relatives. When they got to the current day, they turned to police databases and websites such as LexisNexis.

Holes created his family trees using a tool on Ancestry.com. His team stole time on weekends and during meetings to plug the holes one by one. It was tedious work, and it wasn’t their full-time focus.

By April, they had pieced together about 25 distinct family trees from the great-great-great grandparents. There were roughly 1,000 family members just in the one that included DeAngelo.

The team began scouring the trees for potential suspects, men about the killer’s age who had connections to Sacramento and other locations of the crimes.

They found two.

Holes said the other suspect looked promising on paper but was eventually eliminated by a DNA test of a relative. That left DeAngelo.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: