Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Boring but easy job vs interesting but difficult job

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    I've had one difficult but interesting job and I had one easy but boring job and in comparison I'd definitely choose the difficult one. I find myself drifting away at boring jobs, sleepiness, laziness, even become more inefficient because of how stubborn you can become.

It's great to have interest in something you're making money in otherwise you'd feel lousy
    Yep. I've had to sit in one place for days and look at dirt. It gets really old, really quick.

I'd have pretty interesting job designing and selling apparel and clothes and sometimes it can be pretty stressful but I'd rather do my current job than working at a McDonald's or a target.

Depends on the pay

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    It depends a little on what difficult means. Challenging I like, sure, but stressful, **** that. My job provides both in terms difficulty, and if you wanted to pay me the same money to push a button all day, I'd take it. I can find things to be interested in outside of work. I don't really require my work to be interesting.
    100% agreed. Good point.
    I'll take an interesting but challenging job; but if it's difficult because it is highly stressful than I might reconsider.

I personally think, you develop bad habits doing a boring but easy job.
    You never challenge yourself, so you never improve yourself. You're working for 40 hours a week, that's a lot of time you're wasting out of your life.

So by "interesting" I'm assuming its rewarding or enlightening, or in some form beneficial to your lifestyle. I'll rather do that, plus; your day at work flies by.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ariza4three
    Boring but easy. You then become more efficient at what you do, so you can either finish your shit early and then can leave (if you are able) or free up some extra time to slack off.
    Arghhhh...but now you are adding in a new variable (hours working). LOL.

Let's keep the hours worked the same (as well as salary as noted in the opening post).

Easy job because of the stress environment, but it needs to keep you active. Not something lame like starting at a wall for 9 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
    Easy job because of the stress environment, but it needs to keep you active. Not something lame like starting at a wall for 9 hours.
    That's the point of the game

Like I said, I've watched empty desert for days. Not hours, DAYS. No internet, no phone, no gameboy, no magazines, I was literally sitting in a hole looking over a valley for days.

That's ****ing boring.

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    That's the point of the game

Like I said, I've watched empty desert for days. Not hours, DAYS. No internet, no phone, no gameboy, no magazines, I was literally sitting in a hole looking over a valley for days.

That's ****ing boring.
    There are plenty of boring jobs without going to that extreme, like data entry or accountant. So it just depends.

There are plenty of boring jobs without going to that extreme, like data entry or accountant. So it just depends.
    If I'm going to be bored, I want to be bored outside.

Just me though.

Local High School Star Andrew Wiggins's Avatar

judging by some of the responses in this thread, it's easy to see who's been in the real world and is educated.

I'll have some slow days at work once and in a while and it feels like the work day will never end. i can't imagine feeling that way the majority of my work week, it would be hell. challenging work also doesn't have to mean working insane hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Rondooooooooooo

But you know what i do when I don't have anything to work on and on the clock? I study up on future projects and systems my company is going to
    this is what separates the mediocre, satisfied average joes from the ones with ambition.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggins
    j
    I'll have some slow days at work once and in a while and it feels like the work day will never end. i can't imagine feeling that way the majority of my work week, it would be hell. challenging work also doesn't have to mean working insane hours.
    Yea, I'm sure you'd prefer to cram for an upcoming due project while having some boss dropping f bombs on your dome, going home feeling like shit every day.

Yea, I'm sure you'd prefer to cram for an upcoming due project while having some boss dropping f bombs on your dome, going home feeling like shit every day.

lol, as if the two are mutually exclusive. it's called being well prepared and working efficiently. most deadlines are more than generous and can be finished well ahead of time if you know what you're doing

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    Yep. I've had to sit in one place for days and look at dirt. It gets really old, really quick.
    I've almost fallen asleep countless times in the office. It's really easy having a superior walk in and catch you drowsy. It's easier to get fired at a job doing nothing than a job doing something. Also, a difficult job with the ability to handle such job means you're also more valuable and less prone to being replaced.