Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 04-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
Clippersfan86
Banned

Default Have you been in this situation?

Used to be a great street baller who could fill it up with anyone guarding me and play shutdown defense. My peak was 17-18 years old... when I was a very fit 175 pounds at my height of 5'11. Basically a lot of things happened and I find myself at 220 and trying to find my game again. Basically all I have left is my jumper. Once in a while.. I'll have a showing like my old self where I drop 10 straight buckets on a squad and I'm draining multiple 3's from 25-30 feet. In general though I have more bad days than good.

It really became discouraging because not long ago I found myself playing in a Gold's Gym where 2 or 3 guys in the game were starters at the University... and in the past I play great angry but I felt like I had 0 control/impact on the game. I was matched up with a 6'8 dude (one of the college starters)... and felt helpless. Too out of shape and slow to use my height to an advantage (being shorter and quicker with cuts etc, lower center of gravity)... too short to guard him or shoot over him. He killed me on both ends to the point to where I picked a fight with him (I guess "U mad" would apply here). I was ticked because from the get go he was talking shit calling me midget and all that. In the past if a guy started talking.. I would light him up and embarrass him.. but don't have that ability anymore. I'm one of those dudes that won't talk trash until guy I'm matched up with opens that can of worms.

This game is my passion. I used to play literally 4-5 hours a day. This was my life.

Have any of you just stopped playing for 2-3 years and gained weight and tried to go back.. struggling? Been prideful with this attitude that you still got it.. when you don't? I guess I find myself always saying in my head... damn if I was still 18... I would demolish all these cats but now I'm just an average Joe playing the game.

How do you make your comeback? Can you make up all that ground after years off? Where do you start? I work on my stuff... but don't feel like I'm making progress as much as before. I play like a 40 year old guy at the YMCA that you could tell used to have game.. but is slower, not in shape and has to use a lot of tricks to be effective.

Last edited by Clippersfan86 : 04-08-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
LEFT4DEAD
A WITNESS!!!

Default Re: Have you been in this situation?

It was like this. I have been playing almost every day since about my 12th year. And suddenly, I have recieved call from Austria about one year ago to be one of the exchanged students with Austrians. I have accepted it. I have been in Austria for 5 months now. I have not played bball first 4 months at all. I'm 6'1,5"-6'2" tall and have about 180 pounds. I have lost my quickness and speed, I can't jump as high as before etc.

I have started going on near basketball courts and slowly I'm getting my shot back and I can dunk on every hoop here. Most of players here are internacionals. There are no Austrians or Germans on courts. There is couple of Americans (very good players I must admitt), lot of Balkan's people and from the east.

Really, it's all about training. I'm going alone on the court, getting my touch back. I'm going in gym and on swimming pool 3 days per week. First condition and than everything else. And yeah, I'm slowly starting to take over the games by myself, but I must improve my quickness, get back ball handling skills and improve post game. It's all about passion and will.
LEFT4DEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
623baller
dedicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
Used to be a great street baller who could fill it up with anyone guarding me and play shutdown defense. My peak was 17-18 years old... when I was a very fit 175 pounds at my height of 5'11. Basically a lot of things happened and I find myself at 220 and trying to find my game again. Basically all I have left is my jumper. Once in a while.. I'll have a showing like my old self where I drop 10 straight buckets on a squad and I'm draining multiple 3's from 25-30 feet. In general though I have more bad days than good.

It really became discouraging because not long ago I found myself playing in a Gold's Gym where 2 or 3 guys in the game were starters at the University... and in the past I play great angry but I felt like I had 0 control/impact on the game. I was matched up with a 6'8 dude (one of the college starters)... and felt helpless. Too out of shape and slow to use my height to an advantage (being shorter and quicker with cuts etc, lower center of gravity)... too short to guard him or shoot over him. He killed me on both ends to the point to where I picked a fight with him (I guess "U mad" would apply here). I was ticked because from the get go he was talking shit calling me midget and all that. In the past if a guy started talking.. I would light him up and embarrass him.. but don't have that ability anymore. I'm one of those dudes that won't talk trash until guy I'm matched up with opens that can of worms.

This game is my passion. I used to play literally 4-5 hours a day. This was my life.

Have any of you just stopped playing for 2-3 years and gained weight and tried to go back.. struggling? Been prideful with this attitude that you still got it.. when you don't? I guess I find myself always saying in my head... damn if I was still 18... I would demolish all these cats but now I'm just an average Joe playing the game.

How do you make your comeback? Can you make up all that ground after years off? Where do you start? I work on my stuff... but don't feel like I'm making progress as much as before. I play like a 40 year old guy at the YMCA that you could tell used to have game.. but is slower, not in shape and has to use a lot of tricks to be effective.

been there and i made a come back

do drills on your own, improve your personal game. if you only play street ball, then it's definitely more about what you can do on the court vs what your team can do

think through thoroughly what aspect of your game you are best and weak at, what improvements you can make that would immediately elevate your game and work on that

if you just play pick ups all day long, it won't bring you back to the level you want to be at fast enough

you can spend hours and hours playing pick up and it will probably take you 3~6 month to get your touch/feel for the game back versus spending 30min~1 hr a day work on what matters and you'll probably be there in a month or so.
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 623baller
been there and i made a come back

do drills on your own, improve your personal game. if you only play street ball, then it's definitely more about what you can do on the court vs what your team can do

think through thoroughly what aspect of your game you are best and weak at, what improvements you can make that would immediately elevate your game and work on that

if you just play pick ups all day long, it won't bring you back to the level you want to be at fast enough

you can spend hours and hours playing pick up and it will probably take you 3~6 month to get your touch/feel for the game back versus spending 30min~1 hr a day work on what matters and you'll probably be there in a month or so.

Great posts, appreciate it guys. Like you said.. I'm focusing on training by myself... more than I am running random pick up games. What I do is get to the court before everyone... work on post moves, jumper and layups... then after 1-2 hours guys show up and I run games.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #5
stevieming
Great young streetballer

you've got to spend time to work on your game....

I find with me, playing pickup ball doesn't improve game. Spending time on improving handles; jump shots and practice left and right layups alone does improve my game....practicing certain moves over and over again.
stevieming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

I burnt out on basketball after my senior year of high school. There was a solid year there of limited time playing ball and/or staying in shape. I gained upwards of 20 pounds. I sort of thought I was just following the path I was supposed to follow. I'd seen high school graduates come back heavier and less skilled for years while I was a youngster. I just figured my athletic peak had been reached and it was all down hill from 18 years old onward.

Wrong. I came to a realization one day my 19th year of life when I found myself almost struggling to grab rim. I then took a look at my best friend's career he had developing on his college baseball squad. He seemed to be improving with age. So, I decided it was time to rebuild and become better than ever.

Working out in the offseason with my aforementioned friend, we began running daily and biking. Seperately, I spent my own time working out on the courts and playing basketball wherever basketball popped up, regardless of competition.

I was a 6'3'' - 6'4'' power forward in high school (I know, undersized, that's the point). I decided to change my mindset. I figured a 6'3'' fellow would be expected to be one of the game's quicker players in college or above. It may sound silly, but expecting more speed and ballhandling ability out of myself was sort of like a self-fulfilling prophecy. The more I took that mindset, the more likely it came to be.

I eventually surpassed my previous ability by a large amount. I began dunking ON people for the first time in my life and was kind of running things in a number of locations. I wasn't sure if I was actually becoming a good ballplayer or if my competition just wasn't great, but it led to a minor league tryout where I ultimately came up short, but felt fulfilled in my accomplishment. Assuming you're only in your early 20's, you have a LOT of time left to do whatever you want with this game.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:45 AM   #7
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I burnt out on basketball after my senior year of high school. There was a solid year there of limited time playing ball and/or staying in shape. I gained upwards of 20 pounds. I sort of thought I was just following the path I was supposed to follow. I'd seen high school graduates come back heavier and less skilled for years while I was a youngster. I just figured my athletic peak had been reached and it was all down hill from 18 years old onward.

Wrong. I came to a realization one day my 19th year of life when I found myself almost struggling to grab rim. I then took a look at my best friend's career he had developing on his college baseball squad. He seemed to be improving with age. So, I decided it was time to rebuild and become better than ever.

Working out in the offseason with my aforementioned friend, we began running daily and biking. Seperately, I spent my own time working out on the courts and playing basketball wherever basketball popped up, regardless of competition.

I was a 6'3'' - 6'4'' power forward in high school (I know, undersized, that's the point). I decided to change my mindset. I figured a 6'3'' fellow would be expected to be one of the game's quicker players in college or above. It may sound silly, but expecting more speed and ballhandling ability out of myself was sort of like a self-fulfilling prophecy. The more I took that mindset, the more likely it came to be.

I eventually surpassed my previous ability by a large amount. I began dunking ON people for the first time in my life and was kind of running things in a number of locations. I wasn't sure if I was actually becoming a good ballplayer or if my competition just wasn't great, but it led to a minor league tryout where I ultimately came up short, but felt fulfilled in my accomplishment. Assuming you're only in your early 20's, you have a LOT of time left to do whatever you want with this game.

Thanks for the post and very interesting background story Rake (not being sarcastic btw). I'm turning 25 this upcoming weekend actually so I know I'm still in my prime physically ; ). I just need to get out there more.. and maybe like you said mentally believe and improve and let the game come to me. I may need to rethink my strategy for sure.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #8
blablabla

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFT4DEAD
It was like this. I have been playing almost every day since about my 12th year. And suddenly, I have recieved call from Austria about one year ago to be one of the exchanged students with Austrians. I have accepted it. I have been in Austria for 5 months now. I have not played bball first 4 months at all. I'm 6'1,5"-6'2" tall and have about 180 pounds. I have lost my quickness and speed, I can't jump as high as before etc.

I have started going on near basketball courts and slowly I'm getting my shot back and I can dunk on every hoop here. Most of players here are internacionals. There are no Austrians or Germans on courts. There is couple of Americans (very good players I must admitt), lot of Balkan's people and from the east.

Really, it's all about training. I'm going alone on the court, getting my touch back. I'm going in gym and on swimming pool 3 days per week. First condition and than everything else. And yeah, I'm slowly starting to take over the games by myself, but I must improve my quickness, get back ball handling skills and improve post game. It's all about passion and will.

where in austria
blablabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
AinzleeD
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by blablabla
where in austria

smh
AinzleeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
Alonzo Magic
Mourning Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204

Great post.

I was a major slasher and high level defender in High school. I've now embraced a methodical old man game and I'm really enjoying it. It's a great challenge to always be amongst young athletic dudes on the floor and still be able to hold your own.

Used to pay a kid $10 to throw me the rock in the low post. From there I'd practice and develop an array of post moves against imaginary defenders. Practiced my midrange game religiously and developed a respectable spot up 3. Fell in love with setting killer screens for my guards and boxing out bigs, I enjoy that aspect of my game just as much as when I could swipe a person's lay up from the glass.
Alonzo Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #11
623baller
dedicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonzo Magic
Great post.

I was a major slasher and high level defender in High school. I've now embraced a methodical old man game and I'm really enjoying it. It's a great challenge to always be amongst young athletic dudes on the floor and still be able to hold your own.

Used to pay a kid $10 to throw me the rock in the low post. From there I'd practice and develop an array of post moves against imaginary defenders. Practiced my midrange game religiously and developed a respectable spot up 3. Fell in love with setting killer screens for my guards and boxing out bigs, I enjoy that aspect of my game just as much as when I could swipe a person's lay up from the glass.

u should have paid the kid 5 bucks for feeding you the rock and 5 bucks to a second kid for taking the punishment down low LOL
Old 04-16-2011, 12:05 AM   #12
Alonzo Magic
Mourning Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by 623baller
u should have paid the kid 5 bucks for feeding you the rock and 5 bucks to a second kid for taking the punishment down low LOL

This kid was rare as f*ck. Quiet, prompt, unassuming and he was always at the local courts. Deserved his pocket money. I don't think anyone would accept $5 for me to back them to the basket for hours on end.
Alonzo Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:55 AM   #13
623baller
dedicate

Quote:
This kid was rare as f*ck. Quiet, prompt, unassuming and he was always at the local courts. Deserved his pocket money. I don't think anyone would accept $5 for me to back them to the basket for hours on end.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #14
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Hah, awesome. There used to be a dude around my age who'd rebound my shots for hours as long as I listened to his stories about professional wrestling and major league baseball statistics.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: